• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

DeJounte Murray traded to the Pelicans

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

For what it's worth from up here in the nosebleeds... and having very, very limited knowledge of who is on an upward or downward trajectory after the 23-24 season... so, not much...

a) I like Daniels. As a rule, I have a jones for 21-ish year olds who show progress from year one to year two, and who actually can boast a WS/48 of above .100.

Not sure what the longer term plan is, of course, but I feel like, if the Hawks keep him awhile, it's true that most championship teams tend to have some player like him... that it's easy for me to imagine him coming up with some key play in a key playoff game with some regularity, and gaining Michael Cooper-like regard.

b) It makes sense to me that if you really don't think you're going to contend next season, you get an expiring contract to add to your capacity to participate in the free agent market next off-season...

That said, I had to look it up, and to my surprise even now in his 30s, Nance hasn't yet shown he's regressing. Dang. I'd have taken that kind of production to replace JC if it'd become available last off-season.

c) It's good to have some FRP capital being restored to the inventory since that was mostly what you gave up for DJM in the first place. And as I'm sure some have noted, the Lakers are about as vulnerable to a disappointing season as anyone, given LBJ's age, and given Davis' injury history. It's a decent 2025 pick to get back, imo, particularly being unprotected.

d) It's really difficult for me to be persuaded we were all wrong about the DJM/Trae concept. It made sense at the time of the trade to most of us. And at the very tail end of last season, I felt like we were seeing something beautiful finally emerge--we didn't beat the Celtics, no, but setting that aside, there was so much about that series to stir optimism about how things were coming together. I'm ignorant of what happened this year.

So, I come back to this premise... if the head coach was persuaded it was time to close that chapter, then who am I to argue.

But of course, that's a big "if"... the head coach almost certainly wouldn't have been in favor of losing talent for salary reasons in 2022 and 2023, and no one is a fool to be first inclined to think the decision was driven by salary motivations again.

What is different this time, at least... you are getting back some talent in the trade.

But that shouldn't be too satisfying because, just tangibly, you obviously gave up more 24-25 season talent than you have coming in--NOP wouldn't be sending those FRPs any other way, of course.

You still regressed. You still made it tougher to ascend the mountain, not easier, just looking at this trade in a vacuum.

There is a wild card, though, because who knows, your #1 pick may prove to be more impactful than ordinarily predicted... that's got to be the hope if 24-25 is to give you guys some semblance of reward for your hopelessly devoted to you devotion.

Feet on the ground and more lucidly, I need to ask... do you prefer your chair at the starboard, port, stern or bow area of the ship?

deck-chairs-cruise-ship-with-sun-shining

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

We're on the right track, with Quin, one of the sharpest NBA minds, Trae, an outstanding offensive player, and a young squad all under 25. Plus, Hawks U is a solid program set to further develop their skills. 

If you view this team as rebuilding, that's your perspective, but it's the first time they're assembling the right components around Trae, and I'm eager to see the results. Patience is key in this process. 

A friend from Seattle believes this is the optimal outcome for the circumstances, with Atlanta finally constructing a supportive team for Trae and coming out ahead in the trade. We have two unrestricted picks at our disposal, and if we choose to use them (with the SAC 1st round pick likely the next to go), we can do so while maintaining financial flexibility, especially as the CBA's new stipulations are set to tighten the financial constraints on many teams.

What components are you talking about. We haven't added any star level ballplayers or great two way players who can get buckets when needed. Patience is needed because it is going to take some time before we turn this around.  This is not a quick fix. Remember ballplayers love living in Atlanta they just don't want to to play for them.

How do you fall so far after reaching the ECF ?

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't agree. Our 60 win team was one of the 5 worst rosters in the NBA, talent-wise. 

I've always said, perimeter is where you can sacrifice offense with Trae. We had a ton of success with Snell and Solo at the 2 and 3 before. 

That team had an experienced roster with an all star front court. It was Just a good team that had a great month.

This roster is not going to win 60 games. They simply aren't serious about winning at this point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

If he becomes more than a role player then I and others will have no choice but to eat our words. 

I hope I have to eat my words. I will gladly do that but as we speak he hasn't done anymore than AJ,and you know how he has been ripped on this site.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GameTime said:

Picks are trash and players are meh. If this is it Fields is out of his league. Still waiting on his big plan. We lost AJ and Murray for draft stash and Larry Nance Jr.

Fields is either trying to get fired or he is completely clueless.  Either way, he needs to be gone.  We have gotten our rear ends kicked on every trade he has orchestrated...  Pathetic beyond words.  Just when you think things couldn't get any worse, he goes out and does something even more stupid.  Perhaps he is tanking on orders from Ressler.  However, there is no way Trae will stay here for another rebuild.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It was also one of the least talented rosters in the NBA. 

I didn't say they were 60 wins or close but they are better right now than they were last year even if it's not by much. They are least fit on paper. It didn't even make sense on paper. You just hoped the talent would supersede the expectations. This year, I like the fits. The only questions I have right now is backup PG and starting center. 

The Hawks essentially did what the Mavs did. They restocked and put fit around their star. 

Dude, this team one has one volume scorer and a bunch of young underachievers and role players. Comparing them to a fluke vet team that had one notable year only works as a comparison at the most superficial level.

This just isn't a serious team. It's fine. They'll press ahead and I'll just fill my time with other things this fall.

Maybe JJ suddenly turns into a star, OO actually contributes something notable and this Tyson whatever his name is just breaks out. Maybe it all happens. I will check out the board here when the season starts to see I guess.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

We told you all that Murphy was never going to be an option. 

I like Daniels.  He can defend multiple positions. Excellent defense. 

Lakers pick is unprotected. 

Nance makes trading Capela more possible. 

We also shed salary. 

Response to your points:

Daniels is so good he sat on the bench for the playoffs.

The Lakers pick is just another draft pick that we will waste just like the #1 pick this year.

And you all complained about Collins.  Nance is much further down the ladder talent-wise.  If you argue that Nance will be a free agent soon, so what?  It is meaningless with our ownership and  management.

I couldn't care less if we save ownership more money.  The league intervened with the Atlanta Spirit group.  We need to pray that they will force Ressller to sell the team before  it is too late.

Oh, but we got the Hawks most valued asset in the A. J. Griffin trade...another second round pick!!!

They must like empty seats in State Farm Arena.  Yes haw.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Dude, this team one has one volume scorer and a bunch of young underachievers and role players. Comparing them to a fluke vet team that had one notable year only works as a comparison at the most superficial level.

This just isn't a serious team. It's fine. They'll press ahead and I'll just fill my time with other things this fall.

Maybe JJ suddenly turns into a star, OO actually contributes something notable and this Tyson whatever his name is just breaks out. Maybe it all happens. I will check out the board here when the season starts to see I guess.

You're A better man than I am Plainview.  I can't bring myself to continue watching  the board.  We get worse and worse every year, and ownership and management couldn't care less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It was also one of the least talented rosters in the NBA. 

I didn't say they were 60 wins or close but they are better right now than they were last year even if it's not by much. They are least fit on paper. It didn't even make sense on paper. You just hoped the talent would supersede the expectations. This year, I like the fits. The only questions I have right now is backup PG and starting center. 

The Hawks essentially did what the Mavs did. They restocked and put fit around their star. 

I would agree if the Mavs gave up Kyrie. The Hawks would have been a damn good team if they added Gafford and Washington while keeping all their pieces. That is why I believe all the Hawks had to do was fix the front court an they could have been a tough out.

1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

I feel you but I've been coming back for 40 years. I hate to think about what that says about me.

I wait and see what happens to Nance. If they somehow get value for him or if he solidifies himself in the rotation catching lobs, playing good D, hitting corner 3s and wins games for this team then this trade is a win. Right now it's closer to 60:40 with the Pelicans ahead

5 hours ago, aali34 said:

Trae got JC 20ppg off of lobs 

JC scored and rebounded better than JJ on a per minute basis.  JJ is a better passer and ball handler. I see no reason to think JJ will exceed the JC scoring, and certainly the rebounding production of the 21+/10+ season.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Bruh stop!!! Dyson is a damn good defender. Maybe if the sorry ass Hawks had Dyson last year he doesn't sleep walk to 70+ pts

He's a great defender?  So that explains why he rode the bench in the playoffs?

6 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

How many times will people have to settle for "this is the best we could get".

If that's the " best we could get", it's because we have no idea how to run a team.

5 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Dyson and the Lakers 2025 is pretty gold at this point. Two things we needed.

We already have enough bench riders.  Dyson is a bench warmer, and given our draft and trade history, so will the Lakers pick.