• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

DeJounte Murray traded to the Pelicans

JayBirdHawk

17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Individually its good. As a fit for the apron, no. Had we not done the DJM deal, we"d have been above the apron.   Sorry but Daniels, Nance are the replacements for Bey.

Nance won't even be here in 2025 and Bey plays the 3. We need to resign Bey. All data metrics point to Bey being an impactful performer. We need to keep those guys, not lose them like we did with Delon Wright. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm willing to let the coaching staff, Bogi, Matthews and Korver take a stab at improving him before I pass judgment. All I know is he just became the best on ball defender we have on a team that is fine offensively.

No question he immediately becomes the best POA defender on the Hawks (and by a wide margin at that).  New Orleans had a pretty well regarded shooting coach - he is credited with turning Herb into a 40% shooter from 3. 

But let the Hawks staff take a swing.  I think it will take a year at least - first he needs to improve his shooting percentage and then he needs to up the volume  to create the gravity needed to open space.  Risacher will be the same - teams won't aggressively guard him at the 3pt line until he shows he can knock down shots at a good rate and with volume.  

All this of course assumes that someone else does not come in who can replace DJM minutes - taking some pressure off the need to get immediate results from Daniels and Risacher on the wings.

I am okay with taking a step back for a year if it means two steps forward the following year.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Watchman said:

We already have enough bench riders.  Dyson is a bench warmer, and given our draft and trade history, so will the Lakers pick.

A player like Dyson is fine to acquire if you have enough established pieces because he is young. If he develops and lives up to his draft position, awesome. If he ends up being a role player, ok.

But, when you trade the 2nd best player on your team that is 27 years old for a bench scrub like Larry Nance Jr and a player who right now looks like a role player.... It's tough to do what the Hawks have done and be able to legitimately claim they are still trying to win now.

I don't care what the other people are saying. The Hawks traded their 2nd best player and got no key pieces in return that can do anything meaningful right now. Then they draft a euro wing player with a role player skillset.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Good luck ! Being the best POA defender on the Hawks isn't saying much. Question is how much does that elevate this team. Not much.

Having a great point-of-attack defender on your team allows you play a more set defense for most defensive possessions instead of being in constant rotation like we were last year. If Daniels improves his three point shot and plays at least 25 minutes next year, I think as we stand today, we've improved tremendously from this trade. 

Obviously, more moves need to be made to put us into that upper-echelon in the East, but I think this is a great start.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What amount constitutes team friendly to you?

1+1, with a team option?

2+1, with a team option?

Yeah I think Id like to see something like this, maybe even more years, with average salary around $8M or so.  I like Bey as a bench piece so i would like to retain him but realistically, he would be situational in the playoffs to even get minutes.  But he is a great culture guy, love having dudes who work really hard around

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Individually its good. As a fit for the apron, no. Had we not done the DJM deal, we"d have been above the apron.   Sorry but Daniels, Nance are the replacements for Bey.

The only hair I'd split is that we didn't need to do this deal to avoid the tax.  It needed to be that the combined total of all our moves this offseason needed to reduce our spend to get under the tax.  There were plenty of other ways to accomplish this.  For example, if we traded DJM for equal dollars back we still end up under the tax if we swap Capela for Richard Holmes.

The front office was always going to have a mandate to get under the tax line.  Anyone who believes the "we are ready to pay the tax this year!" stuff...has more faith in Ressler than I do in that department.  So the fact that we got under the tax line was an inevitability, imo.  I just didn't expect it to be such a high priority to happen in our DJM trade.  I figured that would be more about getting talent that was ready to play next year and other moves would be more about dumping some salary.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The only hair I'd split is that we didn't need to do this deal to avoid the tax.  It needed to be that the combined total of all our moves this offseason needed to reduce our spend to get under the tax.  There were plenty of other ways to accomplish this.  For example, if we traded DJM for equal dollars back we still end up under the tax if we swap Capela for Richard Holmes.

The front office was always going to have a mandate to get under the tax line.  Anyone who believes the "we are ready to pay the tax this year!" stuff...has more faith in Ressler than I do in that department.  So the fact that we got under the tax line was an inevitability, imo.  I just didn't expect it to be such a high priority to happen in our DJM trade.  I figured that would be more about getting talent that was ready to play next year and other moves would be more about dumping some salary.

So I get this but think of the room created as now being available in an Ayton for Clint swap and the picks gained as trade chips to balance inequities.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So I get this but think of the room created as now being available in an Ayton for Clint swap and the picks gained as trade chips to balance inequities.

I think of Ayton is a potential franchise anchor ala when we signed Dwight Howard and think Portland maybe should be paying us to take him but I get the idea in principle.

Let me just say that I will wait to actual see it before I start penciling in big upgrades where CC or DH are the key player even if we attach a pick or two.  I think DJM was the best vehicle for such a trade.  As for the picks, I don't think the 2027 pick will have a lot of value.  The "worse of" protection really hurts its value.  Our Sacramento pick is an unknown whether that will convey which also hurts its value significantly.  I'll grant that the Lakers pick will intrigue people if we put it on the table but it is also the biggest potential payoff from the DJM trade.

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

R.698374a0ac2c8056329f2928be350b25?rik=%

Professor,

So it sound like we going to give up one of the draft picks we just got but which one and could we just use the SAC 1st pick.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NekiEcko said:

R.698374a0ac2c8056329f2928be350b25?rik=%

Professor,

So it sound like we going to give up one of the draft picks we just got but which one and could we just use the SAC 1st pick.

I think all we can do is speculate on potential deals.  Nobody knows how many picks and which picks unless they are on the phone when the GMS are talking.  I'd assume for some players we would not have to give any picks and other players all our picks wouldn't be enough.

For Ayton, I'm not sure what that trade looks like without giving up both Hunter and Capela and I'm not a big fan of unloading Hunter without returning a quality wing.  Maybe people are envisioning Hunter and CC for Thybulle and Ayton or something?  I'm sure @thecampster, @JayBirdHawk, and others can come up with better scenarios than that.  I am just not a real believer in Ayton.  Feels like a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" sort of player to me which might be a little unfair given that he has at least put up counting stats.  He has all the tools so I certainly get the appeal but ehhh.....feels like fools gold.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not interested in doing CC and Hunter.

CC and Nance works For salary purposes.

See - already a better option.  What did I say?  (I blame ESPN's trade machine not being up to date on our roster)

My concerns are always going to be there on Ayton but at least this deal I would cross my fingers and hope that Ayton gets in engaged in a new way with Trae feeding him.  If you were asking me who could produce the best version of Ayton, it would probably be Trae so it would have that going for it even if I will never get out of my head the plays where he is just mentally checked out (unless and until he proves to be a different player in Atlanta).

• Like 3

Any chance we go up to the 2nd apron ? And sign someone free agency, not sure capela can bring an improvement at center and Hunter is looking better to keep at this point, I don't think it makes sense, player like him are becoming almost.impossibke.to.acquire. 

Portland has a logjam at center not sure they are trying to take back another one.

Edited by hylndr11

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Any chance we go up to the 2nd apron ? And sign someone free agency, not sure capela can bring an improvement at center and Hunter is looking better to keep at this point, I don't think it makes sense, player like him are becoming almost.impossibke.to.acquire. 

Portland has a logjam at center not sure they are trying to take back another one.

Only Ressler knows but I'm betting on the Hawks not paying the tax and thus not reaching the first apron let alone the second.  For Portland, they would likely want to involve a third team or could shop whoever they want whenver they wanted.  I see the main reason for them to do the trade getting out of paying Ayton $35.5M next season.

With Clingan playing limited minutes even in college, CC might be a nice mentor for him and pair with him and would clearly be more reliable than Robert Williams but they could shop either one of their non-Clingan centers.

• Like 4