• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

DeJounte Murray traded to the Pelicans

JayBirdHawk

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Screenshot_20240701_075809_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240701_075849_Samsung Internet.jpg

I had read all that before I posted.  But A. I don't know who Patrick is and whether he's connected with the team / nba/ journalist / etc or just a fan; and B. I couldn't really tell from his take if the player involved (Matt Ryan) was officially part of the deal or if he was just speculating because the money worked.  

In all honesty, the most "on brand" outcome would be the teams not agreeing on the new framework (a bit player), the NBA nixing the trade, and DJM awkwardly coming back to the Hawks who then have to try and find a new team to trade him to.  THAT would be typical Hawks. 

But I'm assuming this is more cap economics than an actual problem with the trade - a mere formality so it will get done in some form or fashion.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I had read all that before I posted.  But A. I don't know who Patrick is and whether he's connected with the team / nba/ journalist / etc or just a fan; and B. I couldn't really tell from his take if the player involved (Matt Ryan) was officially part of the deal or if he was just speculating because the money worked.  

In all honesty, the most "on brand" outcome would be the teams not agreeing on the new framework (a bit player), the NBA nixing the trade, and DJM awkwardly coming back to the Hawks who then have to try and find a new team to trade him to.  THAT would be typical Hawks. 

But I'm assuming this is more cap economics than an actual problem with the trade - a mere formality so it will get done in some form or fashion.  

Alvarado would be great!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I thought that too, but didn't want to say it out loud . 🤓

• Like 4

• Premium Member

This needs to be sorted sooner than later to move on to the next thing, whatever the next thing is.

This is a big snafu, instead of taking back $18 mil in salary and clearing $7 mil under the tax, we'd be right at or just over the tax. We need to be under to use the MLE.

:blanky::blanky:

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

It's cap economics. This trade won't be undone. It's just about maximizing the benefits. Don't let these cap guys fool you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This needs to be sorted sooner than later to move on to the next thing, whatever the next thing is.

This is a big snafu, instead of taking back $18 mil in salary and clearing $7 mil under the tax, we'd be right at or just over the tax. We need to be under to use the MLE.

:blanky::blanky:

The trade will get done no matter what day it is. They basically conceded Liddell would be included which makes this a 2024-2025 trade.

My guess is they are not closing it and including Liddell until other trades are wrapped into it so they don't have to include him.

The tax and cap don't matter until the end of the year. 

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

The tax and cap don't matter until the end of the year. 

PAYING the tax occurs at the end of the year. If we are over the tax now,  it will limit us in FAcy now.  If we make the DJ trade using is new salary we would be currently over the tax and not have the $12 mil MLE to use on a FA.  We'd have the tax paying MLE of $6 mil.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

PAYING the tax doesn't matter until the end of the year, but it will limit us in FAcy now.  If we make the DJ trade using is new salary we would be currently over the tax and not have the $12 mil MLE to use on a FA.  We'd have the tax paying MLE of $6 mil.  

Ownership might not mind having less money to spend.  Could be a good thing for the FO from that perspective.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member

They need to hire you Jay and a couple more on here because it's apparent the bunkhouse accountants don't know in the front office.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Only movement that I've seen:

The Dejounte Murray trade is rumored to expand to include the Pels sending JV to the Wizards in a S&T.

• Premium Member

Because we didn't complete the DJ trade by June 30th because somebody missed DJ's trade kicker, we are currently over the tax and unable to use the full $12 mil MLE and now only have the TMLE of $5.2 mil available. SIGH :blanky:

What will be the next move to get under the tax?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Because we didn't complete the DJ trade by June 30th because somebody missed DJ's trade kicker, we are currently over the tax and unable to use the full $12 mil MLE and now only have the TMLE of $5.2 mil available. SIGH :blanky:

What will be the next move to get under the tax?

If I know my clowns, I know the first two moves ... 

1. Fire that capologist

2. Realize firing the capologist doesn't get you under the cap.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

To be fair to our guys, the cap issue is on NO's side of the deal.  We maybe didn't confirm this in diligence but this looks worse on their end as far as not doing their homework, imo.

There is a lot of conjecture from Keith Smith and Bobby Marks. I highly doubt either of the sides didn’t know about it and I doubt they expected to finalize by June 30. The delay in announcing probably has more to do with negotiation timelines on other deals than this one in order to wrap one in.

Also, why would we expect to use the MLE? We’ve rarely if ever used it before

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, AHF said:

To be fair to our guys, the cap issue is on NO's side of the deal.  We maybe didn't confirm this in diligence but this looks worse on their end as far as not doing their homework, imo.

I get it...but we hired a new cap guru.

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Also, why would we expect to use the MLE? We’ve rarely if ever used it before

Then there's this :blanky: