• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

DeJounte Murray traded to the Pelicans

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Maybe.  But it's FAR more likely that you are just overvaluing DJ.  

Maybe.  But it is also VERY likely we could have extracted more value than we did (even another 2nd or two as I mentioned).  It would be a good poll to put on here if someone knows how.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

Maybe.  But it is also VERY likely we could have extracted more value than we did (even another 2nd or two as I mentioned).  It would be a good poll to put on here if someone knows how.

Less about value but trade rules....it's about what is allowed. The other option is to void the deal and nobody wants that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Less about value but trade rules....it's about what is allowed. The other option is to void the deal and nobody wants that.

I do t think we are on the same page.  I understand the cap rules and matching salaries.  My concern is:

1.  The Hawks got less value than they should have for the money we took back as filler compared to the assets we obtained

OR

2.  The Hawks didn’t know the cap rules well enough and got stuck with the extra filler

OR 

3.  We suck at getting proper value for our assets AND we suck at understanding cap rules 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I do t think we are on the same page.  I understand the cap rules and matching salaries.  My concern is:

1.  The Hawks got less value than they should have for the money we took back as filler compared to the assets we obtained

OR

2.  The Hawks didn’t know the cap rules well enough and got stuck with the extra filler

OR 

3.  We suck at getting proper value for our assets AND we suck at understanding cap rules 

The initial trade before June 30th was a NOP faux pas.

Again you see 'bad' money returned in trades all the time to make them work to be cap legal. NOP offered Matt Ryan, Hawks declined. 

It's similar to when we traded Huerter and got back Justin Holiday and Moe Harkless. Moe was needed to make the salaries work then he was dumped.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The initial trade before June 30th was a NOP faux pas.

Again you see 'bad' money returned in trades all the time to make them work to be cap legal. NOP offered Matt Ryan, Hawks declined. 

It's similar to when we traded Huerter and got back Justin Holiday and Moe Harkless. Moe was needed to make the salaries work then he was dumped.

Honestly, isn't the actual (negotiated) trade as follows:

Hawks get: Daniels, Nance, LAL '25 1st, and lesser of Pels/Bucks '27 1st

NOP get: DeJounte Murray

EJ Liddell wasn't a "get" for the Hawks but rather included for salary.  Then they realized that they needed more salary after the new league year so Zeller was added. Also not a "get" but just salary filler. 

The deal itself was 4 assets plus filler for salary matching purposes for DJM. 

Personally, I think it was a fair deal for both sides.  The prizes were Daniels and the Lakers pick.  Nance and the other pick are assets with some value but not really the targets of the deal.  

I suppose you could argue the Hawks should have gotten one more asset, but I'm just not sure DJM had that much value.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Honestly, isn't the actual (negotiated) trade as follows:

Hawks get: Daniels, Nance, LAL '25 1st, and lesser of Pels/Bucks '27 1st

NOP get: DeJounte Murray

EJ Liddell wasn't a "get" for the Hawks but rather included for salary.  Then they realized that they needed more salary after the new league year so Zeller was added. Also not a "get" but just salary filler. 

The deal itself was 4 assets plus filler for salary matching purposes for DJM. 

Personally, I think it was a fair deal for both sides.  The prizes were Daniels and the Lakers pick.  Nance and the other pick are assets with some value but not really the targets of the deal.  

I suppose you could argue the Hawks should have gotten one more asset, but I'm just not sure DJM had that much value.  

Exactly this - it's a trade with the infamous 'salary filler', that being EJ and Zeller - so no additional asset required.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I watched it when it came on.  Sounded very familiar.  I don't remember all of the initial Hawks press conference, but a lot of what DJ said today was things that I think I've heard him say before.  Not a bad thing, necessarily.  Just interesting.  A lot of "love the game" "work hard" "competitor" "be a better person" "built for this" "make teammates better"  etc.... 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I watched it when it came on.  Sounded very familiar.  I don't remember all of the initial Hawks press conference, but a lot of what DJ said today was things that I think I've heard him say before.  Not a bad thing, necessarily.  Just interesting.  A lot of "love the game" "work hard" "competitor" "be a better person" "built for this" "make teammates better"  etc.... 

I don't think the failure of his time in Atlanta was a reflection of him being a bad person or a bad teammate or not working hard or anything.  Not that he cares, but I have no issue with him saying any of those things.  I'm sure he will keep working hard and trying to make the team better.  Him playing next to a SG will go a long way to helping with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Somebody help a sister out.

The last I saw was $18.2mil in an Athletic article on June 28th.  I can’t find anything from after the final trade was announced.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

The last I saw was $18.2mil in an Athletic article on June 28th.  I can’t find anything from after the final trade was announced.

I remember that, but that was prior to June 30th when his contract was $18. We traded him in New league year when his contract was $25 mil.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I remember that, but that was prior to June 30th when his contract was $18. We traded him in New league year when his contract was $25 mil.

That is only solid number I could find.  It does seem likely the new TPE will be different…

Hopefully we still get one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Fields said he did not view the trade bringing Murray to the Hawks as a “failure,” adding that he would do it over again.

Now he is just pissing me off.  How could it be anything but a failure?  ***** off with that garbage.  

This strongly suggests to that Fields got control of the front office specifically through his support of the DJM trade over Schlenk's objections.  Either he is too committed to that decision to criticize it now and so tells a stupid lie to avoid critiquing the move that got him his GM chair or the other possibility is that he is a ****ing moron.

Anyone who would legitimately do that move again does not deserve to be in charge of personnel moves for the Hawks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

Now he is just pissing me off.  How could it be anything but a failure?  ***** off with that garbage.  

This strongly suggests to that Fields got control of the front office specifically through his support of the DJM trade over Schlenk's objections.  Either he is too committed to that decision to criticize it now and so tells a stupid lie to avoid critiquing the move that got him his GM chair or the other possibility is that he is a ****ing moron.

Anyone who would legitimately do that move again does not deserve to be in charge of personnel moves for the Hawks.

Sometimes thing don't work and you accept it, take ownership of it and move on to the next thing.

His issue is, I think this was his first move as the defacto GM and the pick debt owed still gangs over the franchise.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hold up:

Zeller is a SnT - we might be stuck with him until Dec 15th. The 6 month rule for players signed in offseason may apply.

face-palm-shake-my-head-smdh-smh-muppets

grading-papers-sheldon-cooper-gif-233329

I hope I am wrong wrong wrong!!