• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dyson Daniels

JayBirdHawk

Quinn made JJ earn his starting spot last season after expressing how much they were excited about him over the offseason. It didn’t take long to make the decision to put him in the starting lineup, but he definitely started the season on the bench. I imagine ZR would have to blow us away in preseason to come out as a starter. I do think it’s more likely he ends the season in the starting lineup.

DD is a more likely option to start (still not a guarantee) due to the fact that he has the NBA experience over ZR, he fills our biggest need defensively, his competition (Bogi) is used to coming off the bench already, and politically speaking it would be sold as a swap for swap from the DJ trade. The optics would look much worse if we traded DJ for a bench player.

I think DH is best suited coming off the bench, but his defense and reliability is such that we don’t HAVE to sit him just to play someone else. Long term, he is likely our combo forward off the bench. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Quinn made JJ earn his starting spot last season after expressing how much they were excited about him over the offseason

I was an advocate for starting JJ immediately. Quin talked about JJ and Bey 'sharing' the starting spot. After 2 games Quin saw enough to know JJ was the starter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was an advocate for starting JJ immediately. Quin talked about JJ and Bey 'sharing' the starting spot. After 2 games Quin saw enough to know JJ was the starter.

I wasn't, I wasn't sold JJ was ready yet. Whereas Bey ended last year strong even if he wasn't the upside play. 

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't see it happening. That would mean 2 possible 3 new starters if OO starts.

As complex as everyone kept saying Quin's offense is, two new starters, one being a rookie doesn't scream winning and starting the new season strong.

I still don't buy OO starting. He's always late on rotations and he's not really trustworthy. 

• Like 1

Gonna be really interesting to watch not just who starts, but how they do rotations.  I could see Bogi starting and closing like Murray, but playing with bench players throughout the game.  One of Bogi or Trae is ideally on the court at all times.  

I could also see Dyson closing games out at the three with Bogi and Trae on the court.  It also gives us a lot of ball handlers with Jalen at the four.  So many different looks we can throw at teams.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

"At this juncture, the talent pool is essentially dried up, but I’m going to take a swing on a project. Daniels is making his presence felt at the Olympics for the Australian national team, and there’s no reason why he can’t be an impactful two-way player in the NBA at some point. Daniels was never going to get a real opportunity in New Orleans, but I think the trade to Atlanta will jumpstart his young career. Sign me up for the 6-8 ballhandler who wants to pick defenders up full-court. I’m a fan.

The fact that the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NBA Draft barely cracked our top 25 of 21-and-under players says a lot about how down and unpredictable this particular class projects to be. With that said, it’s hard for me to pass on a big wing with a nice shooting stroke who is only 19."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Why is Paul Reed named “bball” 😕 

He’s a fan favorite and I guess it’s fun to call him “B-Ball Paul.”  He can shoot, dribble, pass, and steal very well for a bum BU C so it’s kinda like a backhanded compliment, running joke type of thing.  

The fans gas him up and he can do some spectacular sh*t or get sat at the end of the bench all the same 😆

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I like this kid.  Can play multiple positions and plays good D.  Also, I like Bogi in the starting lineup... at least to start the season.

Starting both Daniels and Bogi could make a lot of sense given that the alternatives are a rookie and a guy who played the best ball of his career off the bench last season.  Quin has some interesting decisions to make.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, AHF said:

Starting both Daniels and Bogi could make a lot of sense given that the alternatives are a rookie and a guy who played the best ball of his career off the bench last season.  Quin has some interesting decisions to make.

Yeah, maybe.  Still think Hunter is too necessary until we get more +defenders on the roster.  You really don't want Bogi on a big wing and with having to hide Trae, that lineup has so many defensive holes you're not really much better off with Dyson on the floor, unless we're playing a team with 2+ guys that can't dribble

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, maybe.  Still think Hunter is too necessary until we get more +defenders on the roster.  You really don't want Bogi on a big wing and with having to hide Trae, that lineup has so many defensive holes you're not really much better off with Dyson on the floor, unless we're playing a team with 2+ guys that can't dribble

Trae, Bogi, and DD is our best defensive lineup according to that calculator Rowland posted yesterday (lol).  That lineup has 3 plus defenders and a backcourt of Trae and Bogi.  I think it will likely be quite effective when we start looking at +/- lineups because it has our best wing defender on their best wing along with our two best offensive players together (plus JJ and CC or OO).  

I actually see this season as one where Quin should be killing it with matchup adjustments and should not be a slave to a pre-planned rotation.  ZR, DD, DH, and Bogi have a mix of strengths and weaknesses that seems ripe for optimizing with a strategic coach which I'm hoping that Snyder will prove himself to be.  Each of those guys could be better than all other alternatives in the right matchup.  

This is one aspect of the upcoming season that is really interesting to me.

• Like 3

• Moderators

If Dyson is a starter then i think it has to be Bogi to get the needed shooting.  I know Hunter shot a better percentage but he took a lot fewer threes than Bogi did.   per36 Bogi made as many 3s per game as Hunter and Dyson combined last year.  

Dyson/Hunter/JJ is not a strong 3 point shooting lineup.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I actually see this season as one where Quin should be killing it with matchup adjustments and should not be a slave to a pre-planned rotation.  ZR, DD, DH, and Bogi have a mix of strengths and weaknesses that seems ripe for optimizing with a strategic coach which I'm hoping that Snyder will prove himself to be.  Each of those guys could be better than all other alternatives in the right matchup.  

This is one aspect of the upcoming season that is really interesting to me.

Yeah, same, really looking forward to how we mix up lineups.  Need to build chemistry simultaneously so will be interesting to see how Quin handles that

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Special 

I just hope he doesn't get the Hunter treatment from the refs now that he's a Hawk. We know how the 'Hawk' on a jersey changes things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1