• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dyson Daniels

JayBirdHawk

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Considering the company on this list I feel even more confident that Daniels is in fact a guard. Shout out to Drummond being the lone big man in the top 10.

Everyone else are all POA defenders. That will be Dyson’s assignment in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Top 10

(1) big

(1) wing

(7) guards, and Dyson.

We can debate all day but defensively Dyson plays more like a guard and does so at an extremely high level. Idk why we would play him at the 3 all of a sudden and pull him away from his strengths at the POA. I don’t care about being right so much as just reading the writing on the wall. We sucked at POA defense, there are elite ball handlers on every team, and Dyson is world class defending ball handlers. On a team with Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado, maybe you can move him around a bit more and let him play FS on defense, but on a team with Trae Young, you’re putting Dyson on the best guard. It’s pretty simple.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Top 10

(1) big

(1) wing

(7) guards, and Dyson.

We can debate all day but defensively Dyson plays more like a guard and does so at an extremely high level. Idk why we would play him at the 3 all of a sudden and pull him away from his strengths at the POA. I don’t care about being right so much as just reading the writing on the wall. We sucked at POA defense, there are elite ball handlers on every team, and Dyson is world class defending ball handlers. On a team with Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado, maybe you can move him around a bit more and let him play FS on defense, but on a team with Trae Young, you’re putting Dyson on the best guard. It’s pretty simple.

I don't expect him to get a single assignment all season given that we kind of have a swiss army knife of wings.

When Trae and DD are together on the floor, you can't leave Trae guarding a SG unless that 2 is an unusually small one or a non-threat offensively.  DD will not always defend PGs even when they are the best guard on the opposing team if doing so would expose Trae.  How Trae matches up against the other guard will have to be factored in.

Bogi is the best offensive player by a long-shot but won't be the best guy to defend some SFs when he is on the court with DD and Trae which could lead to DD playing against a more dangerous SF like Jaylen Brown instead of having Bogi pick him up.   When Bogi and DD are paired with another wing then absolutely DD picks up the best guard and Bogi gets the "other" guy (and depending how Bufkin and Bogi match up it may be perfectly fine to have Bogi at SF, Bufkin on the SG, and DD hounding the PG but there are likely going to be matchups where one or both of Bogi or Bufkin are not long enough to allow you to put your 6'8'' player on the point).

When Dyson and Hunter are on the floor together (and Hunter isn't playing PF) then definitely Hunter should be on the SF while DD is on a guard.  

With ZR, I am coming in assuming DD will be physically the stronger player so there may be matchups where ZR is overwhelmed by a another player physically and DD needs to take on that assignment while there will be other games where Zacc is just fine picking up the opposing SF and DD can focus on one of the guards.

I just see our wings being mix and match all game, all season and expect that Dyson's versatility will be used in whatever role that Quin believes makes our defense the strongest and not necessarily fixated on guarding the lead ball-handler for the other team.

Granted, none of us have seen how DD gets deployed but he is much more akin to Thybulle physically than he is most of the other guys on that list most of whom are PGs.

• Like 2

Learn from your NFL buddies, the Falcons.  They refused to play any starters in pre-season and the rust was so apparent in their 1st game that it was sad.  Play a lot of different players and different combinations in the pre-season, which is coming soon!

:smug:

• Like 2

On 9/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, AHF said:

I don't expect him to get a single assignment all season given that we kind of have a swiss army knife of wings.

When Trae and DD are together on the floor, you can't leave Trae guarding a SG unless that 2 is an unusually small one or a non-threat offensively.  DD will not always defend PGs even when they are the best guard on the opposing team if doing so would expose Trae.  How Trae matches up against the other guard will have to be factored in.

Bogi is the best offensive player by a long-shot but won't be the best guy to defend some SFs when he is on the court with DD and Trae which could lead to DD playing against a more dangerous SF like Jaylen Brown instead of having Bogi pick him up.   When Bogi and DD are paired with another wing then absolutely DD picks up the best guard and Bogi gets the "other" guy (and depending how Bufkin and Bogi match up it may be perfectly fine to have Bogi at SF, Bufkin on the SG, and DD hounding the PG but there are likely going to be matchups where one or both of Bogi or Bufkin are not long enough to allow you to put your 6'8'' player on the point).

When Dyson and Hunter are on the floor together (and Hunter isn't playing PF) then definitely Hunter should be on the SF while DD is on a guard.  

With ZR, I am coming in assuming DD will be physically the stronger player so there may be matchups where ZR is overwhelmed by a another player physically and DD needs to take on that assignment while there will be other games where Zacc is just fine picking up the opposing SF and DD can focus on one of the guards.

I just see our wings being mix and match all game, all season and expect that Dyson's versatility will be used in whatever role that Quin believes makes our defense the strongest and not necessarily fixated on guarding the lead ball-handler for the other team.

Granted, none of us have seen how DD gets deployed but he is much more akin to Thybulle physically than he is most of the other guys on that list most of whom are PGs.

I understand that his physical profile is big. Big guards exist in the NBA.

Daniels has been a guard since his prep days. Look him up on any site. ESPN, NBA.COM, BBReference. He is listed consistently as a guard or even as a point guard. He is not mentioned anywhere as a forward except here on Hawksquawk.

He will get matched up on bigger ball handlers like Luka from time to time, but he himself is a bigger ball handler.

The list shows a bunch of PG’s. My point is that he is in the company of players who guard point of attack. That’s his matchup. Whoever you want to initiate your offense, Daniels wants to pick them up 94 feet and make them get off the ball. That’s what we thought we were getting in DJM. That’s what we are actually getting in Daniels.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I understand that his physical profile is big. Big guards exist in the NBA.

Daniels has been a guard since his prep days. Look him up on any site. ESPN, NBA.COM, BBReference. He is listed consistently as a guard or even as a point guard. He is not mentioned anywhere as a forward except here on Hawksquawk.

He will get matched up on bigger ball handlers like Luka from time to time, but he himself is a bigger ball handler.

The list shows a bunch of PG’s. My point is that he is in the company of players who guard point of attack. That’s his matchup. Whoever you want to initiate your offense, Daniels wants to pick them up 94 feet and make them get off the ball. That’s what we thought we were getting in DJM. That’s what we are actually getting in Daniels.

I could be wrong.  I’m assuming we will matchup based on the mix of 1-3 we have in the floor.  Which SGs or SFs will be the best matchups for Trae in your mind?  I’m not looking forward to him regularly guarding players 4-6 inches taller some of whom are their teams primary scorer but maybe that is just me.  The day we are putting Trae on Antman or Jaylen Brown because someone else is bringing the ball up the floor and initiating the offense  will be a surprise to me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AHF said:

I could be wrong.  I’m assuming we will matchup based on the mix of 1-3 we have in the floor.  Which SGs or SFs will be the best matchups for Trae in your mind?  I’m not looking forward to him regularly guarding players 4-6 inches taller some of whom are their teams primary scorer but maybe that is just me.  The day we are putting Trae on Antman or Jaylen Brown because someone else is bringing the ball up the floor and initiating the offense  will be a surprise to me.

Celtics are a tough matchup for anyone because there is nowhere to hide. Trae would get bullied by Jrue too. I do think he would end up on White in that scenario.

And yes, I do think Daniels is covering Ant Man in that matchup. Conley is much less of an on ball threat these days. Ant does a lot of creation for them too.

• Like 1