• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dyson Daniels

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Great post.  Took some of the points I was gonna make so I won’t repeat them.

26% of his shots are taken within 3 feet at .635.  I can rock with that.  DJ took 16% as a Hawk with his no contact liking ass.

A +4.3 on court per 100 last season usually signals a great reserve.  His -.5 on/off net wasn’t in the same league as their other three positive defensive box perimeter players though (Herb, Marshall, Alvarado). Daniels’ 2.5 defensive box (highest of their rotation players) is elite no question.  Those are the type of players who communicate well and can shut down weak side actions and cross court passing lanes in addition to quality possession-to-possession on ball prowess.

His impact obviously takes a hit looking at his field goals assisted.  Over half his twos for his career and every single three from last season was a helper.  No one should expect any creation whatsoever.

Granted he isn’t drawing a lot of the defenses attention but his assist to turnover looks good at 2.5:1, positional versatility is awesome with BBRef listing over half his minutes at the 2 but toggling significantly at 1 & 3.

I don’t believe in Quinn as a developer as a HC. Maybe he took some of the developmental shine that should’ve gone to Jenkins under Bud?  I don’t think Quinn could get Aldamas and Tillmans to rotation level.  He couldn’t improve the collective IQs of Trae and DJ.  I didn’t give a damn about Mitchell in Utah, became a fan this season because his playmaking and defense all took leaps under Bickerstaff.  I wanted Bogdanovic long before he got to Utah and he left the same player.  Ingles was/is a natural shooter/ passer, Royce O’Neal is a feel player, Gobert never learned to shoot, Conley was largely the same player he was with the Grizzlies outside of increased three point rate.  I could see Jalen’s natural incline coming, AJ fell off a cliff, and Bogi’s improvement had as much to do with international play as much as anything the Hawks staff did.

Daniels should be a solid rotation piece that improves the defense as much as he hurts the offense.  We’ve seen this movie before.

I put all of the development of the Hawks 60 wins on Quin and he developed the hell out of all of those Jazz players. Saying Donovan got better in Cleveland is great but he got better in Utah as well. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dalamchops said:

i don't think the FT% is that big of a concern... he's probably closer to 74% like he did for the ignite. % is easily skewed when you avg less than 1 attempt a game...

I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion by focusing on volume.  

* In the NBA, he has shot 60 for 93 for a 64.5% FT%.

* For the Ignite, he shot 14 for 19 for a 74.3% FT%.

If 93 attempts is too few to rely on, 19 attempts sure as **** can't be relied on.  93 is a much better sample size than 19.

* When you combine his NBA and g-league totals, eh shot a combined 74 for 112 for a 66.1% FT%.

66.1% is terrible for a guard or wing.  Dyson's shooting generally and his free throw shooting is definitely a concern, imo, but not something that he can't improve.

43 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Sample size and volume aside - food for thought. 

Dyson 3PA / % last season:

Nov-dec: 2.5 / 28.8%

jan-apr: 1.9 / 37.0%

there’s definitely upside there. He’s not a volume shooter, but if he can continue that pace on low to average volume … great player + fit. 

My biggest concern is health which scares me.  He’s played 59 & 61 games so far. I guess par for the course with the hawks. 🤷‍♂️ 

Also food for thought is his rookie season was the opposite:

October - December:  39%

Jan - April:  24.4%

Given how variable 3pt% is month to month and season to season, I think the overall numbers are the best measure we have at this point.  (If he changed his mechanics, then that would be a better reason to break out numbers into pre and post change, imo.)

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion by focusing on volume.  

* In the NBA, he has shot 60 for 93 for a 64.5% FT%.

* For the Ignite, he shot 14 for 19 for a 74.3% FT%.

If 93 attempts is too few to rely on, 19 attempts sure as **** can't be relied on.  93 is a much better sample size than 19.

* When you combine his NBA and g-league totals, eh shot a combined 74 for 112 for a 66.1% FT%.

66.1% is terrible for a guard or wing.  Dyson's shooting generally and his free throw shooting is definitely a concern, imo, but not something that he can't improve.

Also food for thought is his rookie season was the opposite:

October - December:  39%

Jan - April:  24.4%

Given how variable 3pt% is month to month and season to season, I think the overall numbers are the best measure we have at this point.  (If he changed his mechanics, then that would be a better reason to break out numbers into pre and post change, imo.)

Completely fair. I don’t know if he did anything to the mechanics. But holding 37% across 4 months alludes to upside. His FT% scares me but low volume Will  swing things too. Curious if getting more catch and shoot opportunists from Trae will help increase his efficiency across the board. 

interestingly enough - his % are not far off from what Herb Jones’ were his first 2 seasons. Other than herb actually hit FTs

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Completely fair. I don’t know if he did anything to the mechanics. But holding 37% across 4 months alludes to upside. His FT% scares me but low volume Will  swing things too. Curious if getting more catch and shoot opportunists from Trae will help increase his efficiency across the board. 

interestingly enough - his % are not far off from what Herb Jones’ were his first 2 seasons. Other than herb actually hit FTs

Here is another breakout of his 3pt shooting:

2022-23 

Corner 3's:  9-25 = 36% 

Non-Corner 3's: 18-61 = 29.5%

2023-24

Corner 3's:  20-49 = 40.8% 

Non-Corner 3's: 22-86 = 25.6%

Career To Date

Corner 3's:  29-74 = 39.2%

Non-Corner 3's:  40-147 = 27.2%

I think it is pretty obvious that we need to be finding ways to post him in the corner if we want him to space the floor in a positive way.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Guys like PJ Tucker made a whole career out of playing defense and shooting corner  threes.  Hoping Dyson can at least be reliable in the corners.  

Speaking of Tucker, was interested in bringing him on board before the Nance trade. 

Or is a Nance trade to LAC for PJ and a pick worth exploring?

I truly believe Dyson can start at the 2.

Usually a players defense will be the winning factor for a decision to be made during a position battle and Dyson is already the best perimeter defender on the team.

His offense will come around , that is my guess.

i hope Synder doesn’t shy from starting Dyson despite his offensive shortcomings. Trae really needs a POA defender next to him.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per some Pels fans:

DD got the JJ treatment from Willie Green that JJ got from Nate while also neglecting his development. And also playing CJ due to his high contract vs DD.

TIFWIW.

Great if true

19 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Speaking of Tucker, was interested in bringing him on board before the Nance trade. 

Or is a Nance trade to LAC for PJ and a pick worth exploring?

PJ is washed.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thecampster said:

YARN | That's the first thing you said that wasn't bat-shit crazy! |  Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) | Video clips by quotes | ed1ec0b6 | 紗

I’ve been away learning life lessons like if you don’t have anything nice to say just don’t say anything. Processing my thoughts internally .. whiiiiich in turn could revert me back into “bat style” as you would say.

• Like 2

Are we keeping Ledell Eackles? I mean I know he tore his acl but he moves well for a dude his size. I remember him from the draft a few years back. What is he 6’6”? Wonder if he makes our world 🌍 and will be on our radar or are we cuttin him loose?