• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dyson Daniels

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That was a dawg effort on defense.

Good stuff to Daniels. Also love the tempo in transition and opportunistic scoring from him. Seems like the type of player who will maximize doing the the little things at a high level. A weird archetype of player that we seem to be prioritizing nowadays over outright star power. We make fun of Hawks DNA, for good reason, but if you have enough high IQ guys who hustle on both ends, defend, play without the ball, etc… you have the makings of an actual culture and identity.

Trae may have the best team ever built around him using the least amount of individual talent. 

No doubt bro. His ability to stick with his man is uncanny. He has a fabulous combination of lateral quickness and anticipation.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

He had that many defensive highlights in 20 minutes on the floor, against team USA?  I'm as excited to watch him play as ZR this year.  He was a young 19/20 year old stuck behind a bunch of vet wings in NO with no PG and had no chance to shine.  You can see why he went top 10.  This dude is going to be legit.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

He also brought in Wes Mathews, JHol, Zeller, etc.

Mathews is a high character locker room guy, exact type of guy who has Hawks DNA.  The other guys were brought in to get deals done, not as serious pieces moving forward.  Either way, you're talking about guys that will never see the floor in a playoff rotation, or even in a rotation when the team is healthy.  I'm not going to stress out about 11-15.  Those guys rotate in/out just about every year.

16 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

What is the good reason?  Landry told us the types of players he values (the type of player you described) and then he went out and started bringing them in.

He's not doing anything literally every other team is doing but he's presenting it as something new that he came up with. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He's not doing anything literally every other team is doing but he's presenting it as something new that he came up with. 

Huh? He's establishing culture for the Hawks.  Should he tell everyone he's finding players with Spurs DNA because he wants to build a successful franchise that resembles the Spurs?  I think you'd clown him for that.  I think you'd also clown him if he didn't have a philosophy at all.  Honestly, how would you prefer he messaged his team building philosophy?  I need the exact words since that's the level you guys scrutinize. 

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Huh? He's establishing culture for the Hawks.  Should he tell everyone he's finding players with Spurs DNA because he wants to build a successful franchise that resembles the Spurs?  I think you'd clown him for that.  I think you'd also clown him if he didn't have a philosophy at all.  Honestly, how would you prefer he messaged his team building philosophy?  I need the exact words since that's the level you guys scrutinize. 

Magically, every other GM can say the same thing without coming across like a smug bahstid.

It's a Stanford thing, imo.  Most Stanford people come across as pricks.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Mathews is a high character locker room guy, exact type of guy who has Hawks DNA.  The other guys were brought in to get deals done, not as serious pieces moving forward.  Either way, you're talking about guys that will never see the floor in a playoff rotation, or even in a rotation when the team is healthy.  I'm not going to stress out about 11-15.  Those guys rotate in/out just about every year.

Well he brought in DJ and AJ too.  Every GM is going to have some misses.  I'd say the jury is still out on Landry.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That was a dawg effort on defense.

Good stuff to Daniels. Also love the tempo in transition and opportunistic scoring from him. Seems like the type of player who will maximize doing the the little things at a high level. A weird archetype of player that we seem to be prioritizing nowadays over outright star power. We make fun of Hawks DNA, for good reason, but if you have enough high IQ guys who hustle on both ends, defend, play without the ball, etc… you have the makings of an actual culture and identity.

Trae may have the best team ever built around him using the least amount of individual talent. 

I say it's because the average NBA player, particularly American, has regressed in those areas while prioritizing shooting and deepening their bag(Cam Reddish). 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well he brought in DJ and AJ too.  Every GM is going to have some misses.  I'd say the jury is still out on Landry.  

Schlenk drafted AJ and was GM during the DJ trade.  People keep saying these were Landry's moves, but repeating that wont make it true.  Landrys first draft pick was Kobe.

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Schlenk drafted AJ and was GM during the DJ trade.  People keep saying these were Landry's moves, but repeating that wont make it true.  Landrys first draft pick was Kobe.

I thought Schlenk left because he disagreed with the DJ trade?  Rightfully so

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

back at you.  It was announced publicly that Landry would be GM on June 13th, 2022 before the trade and the draft.  Do you think they were really letting the lame duck GM they were forcing out make those decisions.   Landry owned the trade to acquire Murray just last week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Righhhttt.  Schlenk got forced out for not supporting the DJM trade and the guy who got put in there was not someone who supported the trade?  Let's try to keep a straight face with this at least.  Fields may not have had control over the negotiations in the deal but clearly he was there with Nick advocating for it which is what led to Schlenk's exit. 

That is why Landry is still saying he would do it all over again today.  It was obviously a terrible move and if it was really on Schlenk's desk then Fields would just say something polite like he understands why Schlenk went for it but unfortunately it didn't work out.

• Like 4

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

back at you.  It was announced publicly that Landry would be GM on June 13th, 2022 before the trade and the draft.  Do you think they were really letting the lame duck GM they were forcing out make those decisions.   Landry owned the trade to acquire Murray just last week. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

If the Hawks kept Schlenk in charge of all key decisions - you know except the biggest decisions where Ressler decided to override him- and the team didn't just do this as a face-saving gesture for Schlenk's gradual departure, then I just have to laugh at our owner and front office.  What a train wreck.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

If the Hawks kept Schlenk in charge of all key decisions - you know except the biggest decisions where Ressler decided to override him- and the team didn't just do this as a face-saving gesture for Schlenk's gradual departure, then I just have to laugh at our owner and front office.  What a train wreck.

No, you're not getting it.  If it didn't work, it was Schlenk's fault .... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Knowing what we know now about Travis' exit there is just no way they were letting him make personnel moves in the summer of 2022.  

Pretty sure Schlenk had Hawks DNA ... until he didn't. 

:stirthepot: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Oh yeah, I must be thinking of where Sothron reported it was primarily Nick Ressler and Trae that were pushing for Murray.  Thanks

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Oh yeah, I must be thinking of where Sothron reported it was primarily Nick Ressler and Trae that were pushing for Murray.  Thanks

Not so fast my little friend:

On 1/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, Sothron said:

Ressler, Fields and Trae Young are running the Hawks with zero safety net. 

• Haha 3