• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dyson Daniels

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Oh yeah, I must be thinking of where Sothron reported it was primarily Nick Ressler and Trae that were pushing for Murray.  Thanks

LOL.  Maybe right but sure as heck wasn't Travis was it?  At what point was Landry on the clock then?  

I've got nothing against him either.  The most recent deal to ship out Murray was one of the best Hawks trades in years i think.  But that doesn't mean he hasn't had blunders too. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just for the record Landry about the Murray trade.  I guess you can make the case he's covering for Nick or Travis or Tony or Trae or Trae's dad but i think Travis was not in charge.   I guess anything is possible though. 

"Not at all. Absolutely not. I look at it as at the time, we had an opportunity to go get a good player and where we are at we wanted to take a chance and take a chance to get to the next level of what we were trying to do. I think that at this point its kinda what I said earlier, we were faced with another challenging decision in moving him but no I don't see it as a failure at all especially when you look at, ok, what are some things that we learned from that, what are some things that worked well, what are some things that did not work out well? But I think going back, we would definitely take that risk again."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not so fast my little friend:

It was more recent than that.  Doesnt really matter as Landry obviously O.K’d it at the time, given the announcement date you referenced, but I think @Sothron was saying it was primarily Nick/Trae pushing for it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Just for the record Landry about the Murray trade.  I guess you can make the case he's covering for Nick or Travis or Tony or Trae or Trae's dad but i think Travis was not in charge.   I guess anything is possible though. 

Yeah, makes sense.  I understand what hes saying, which is we took a risk and tried it out [and have now successfully moved on], but it is disappointing that we thought Murray was a good defender.  I dont know what happened there.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, makes sense.  I understand what hes saying, which is we took a risk and tried it out _[and have now successfully moved on]_, but it is disappointing that we thought Murray was a good defender.  I dont know what happened there.  

I don't either really.  I honestly think someone was like 'donovan mitchell is available and would be a great all star to add with Trae' and then someone else chimed in 'We cant have 2, 6 foot guards.  I can get us a cheaper, taller guy who was also an all star'.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It was more recent than that.  Doesnt really matter as Landry obviously O.K’d it at the time, given the announcement date you referenced, but I think @Sothron was saying it was primarily Nick/Trae pushing for it.

I remember, that's what he posited...saying Landry wasn't involved. But I strongly disagreed then as I do now since I posited his earlier reference that the trio of Nick/Fields/Trae were tied at the hip, particularly with how Nick and Fields met while scouting and Nick being the one that brought him on board initially....his comments plus more are in the 'Nick' thread.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think it is obvious that Landry’s support for the DJM trade is a big reason he got the job.  Almost as obvious as the fact that no sane person would do that trade again.  

I said we were weak on the pick protections and overpaid SA at the time of the trade.  History repeats as we were weak on pick protections when we traded him to NO.  You can preserve or forfeit a ton of value in a trade by being weak or strong on pick protections.  Wish we would have made SA take a “you get the worse of two picks and whatever one you get is still protected too” instead of giving up control of 3 picks in a row with zero protection.  A bit of a common thread running through those trades where the Atlanta GM was willing to concede on pick protections in both trades.

• Thanks 2

He’s so friggin erect! He’s got a Monta Ellis body but the game is defensive while Monta took folks on O.

His erectness dictastes some of his head up awareness.

You know basketball 🏀 is a sexually sounding sport when you’re breaking it down.

i.e.

BANG HIM IN THE PAINT

HE NEEDS A BLOW (rest)

@AHF  Is this post still about Dyson Daniels or are we re-litigating the Hawks FO personnel?  

BTW.....Australia plays Serbia today in Pre-Olympic games.  I believe the game is at 12 noon if anyone cares to watch DD vs Bogi and Joker.  

Here's a link:

https://www.espn.com.au/watch/player/_/id/c42390c4-7780-4943-b3f0-97e41b44cedd/redirected/true 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

@AHF  Is this post still about Dyson Daniels or are we re-litigating the Hawks FO personnel?  

BTW.....Australia plays Serbia today in Pre-Olympic games.  I believe the game is at 12 noon if anyone cares to watch DD vs Bogi and Joker.  

Here's a link:

https://www.espn.com.au/watch/player/_/id/c42390c4-7780-4943-b3f0-97e41b44cedd/redirected/true 

There is a sidebar on the FO.  If it starts quashing people from talking about Daniels we will break it out.

On Daniels, I really like him playing for Australia in this format.  International ball frequently offers major roles to role players and Daniels is one of the two best players on a team that is starting former Hawks Patty Mills and Jock Landale.  It gives him a real chance to play a more prominent offensive role and he is doing a good job in that during these games.  While teams don't have real chemistry and schemes in the way that NBA teams do by the time the playoffs roll around, this is real basketball and his versatility and impact on both ends is shining in a good way.  Hopefully can be a good development opportunity and springboard towards a strong start to the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is a sidebar on the FO.  If it starts quashing people from talking about Daniels we will break it out.

On Daniels, I really like him playing for Australia in this format.  International ball frequently offers major roles to role players and Daniels is one of the two best players on a team that is starting former Hawks Patty Mills and Jock Landale.  It gives him a real chance to play a more prominent offensive role and he is doing a good job in that during these games.  While teams don't have real chemistry and schemes in the way that NBA teams do by the time the playoffs roll around, this is real basketball and his versatility and impact on both ends is shining in a good way.  Hopefully can be a good development opportunity and springboard towards a strong start to the season.

I'm still saying DD starts at the 2 beside Trae. Not because he's better than Bogi (he's not), but because I think it makes logical sense to have DD next to Trae as much as possible and to have Bogi next to Kobe as much as possible.  That is, IF Kobe is actually the backup PG. We'll see, but I really like Bogi being the 6th man.  

A bench of Kobe/Bogi/Dre/Liddell?/Clint or Nance is pretty good depth.  MUCH better than last year anyway.  

Really intrigued by a starting unit of Trae/DD/Risacher/JJ/OO.  But to make that work, we gotta have some perimeter shooting from all of them as a group.  None are considered ELITE, but all have potential to be guardable from 3pt range.  

And I agree about Olympic Team for DD.  The more opportunities he has to be a major player on a competitive team, the better.    

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm still saying DD starts at the 2 beside Trae. Not because he's better than Bogi (he's not), but because I think it makes logical sense to have DD next to Trae as much as possible and to have Bogi next to Kobe as much as possible.  That is, IF Kobe is actually the backup PG. We'll see, but I really like Bogi being the 6th man.  

A bench of Kobe/Bogi/Dre/Liddell?/Clint or Nance is pretty good depth.  MUCH better than last year anyway.  

Really intrigued by a starting unit of Trae/DD/Risacher/JJ/OO.  But to make that work, we gotta have some perimeter shooting from all of them as a group.  None are considered ELITE, but all have potential to be guardable from 3pt range.  

And I agree about Olympic Team for DD.  The more opportunities he has to be a major player on a competitive team, the better.    

Trae/DD/Risacher/JJ/OO should definitely play minutes together whether this is the starting lineup or not.  I think it will be really interesting to see which players space the floor from that group and which don't.  

Just based on last year's shooting numbers, it seems like you could cheat off of DD, JJ and OO without worrying very much. Dyson was a gruesome 31% from 3 and more like 25% on non-corner 3's.  OO was an unimposing 33%.  Both were very low volume as well.  Jalen's 35.5% was better and he shot more per game than both DD and OO combined but his December to January period was pretty ugly.  I'm not sure people will really be scared by the idea of him taking a 3 until he shows an improved shot.  On the positive side, nobody needs to play right at the rim so it should open up in the lane in a way that CC lineups don't (which we saw from the %s from teammates when OO was on the floor versus CC last year).

Defensively that team is really exciting with their length, speed, and versatility.

All three of DD, JJ and OO can hit a 3 but unless they are open in the corner you may not be real concerned about them as threats.  Trae is always a threat on the floor and Risacher needs to establish his bona fides but you would expect his shooting to translate into someone who needs to be guarded more tightly than those others.  

• Like 3

• Moderators

If Hunter is still here then i think Trae/DD/Hunter/JJ/OO is a pretty intriguing and experienced lineup.   Kobe/Bogi/Risacher/Nance-Capela off the bench.  

It's not a bad rotation.  Way better than last year because of the D potential and size.  But still a long way from top of the conference because scoring is an issue.   I know with Trae we don't worry about scoring but 4th quarter scoring was always an issue.  

• Like 2

I got Bogi as the starter until either Dyson or Risacher take the job.  Center I think they are still sorting that out, expecting some kind of move even if it is just cutting Zeller.  Hope they can do something more than just cut Zeller.  

• Like 3

I'm happy that we have Dyson Daniels.  Because of this, I wonder how long is it going to be before we see his name on the injured list?  Really.  It's already happening to the Hawks way too much, way too early.

If DD is as good as we read, I expect him to replace Murray on the starting five.  If this happens, everything else we got in this trade is just gravy!

If the Hawks trade Hunter and Capela, we have youth to replace them.  

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I'm happy that we have Dyson Daniels.  Because of this, I wonder how long is it going to be before we see his name on the injured list? 

dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me.gif

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:50 AM, REHawksFan said:

We really need Bogi in that 2nd unit more than we did last year and he was needed there last year but without Murray. We need Bogi to do more ball handling 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

We really need Bogi in that 2nd unit more than we did last year and he was needed there last year but without Murray. We need Bogi to do more ball handling 

Regardless of who starts, minutes are going to be staggered so that we see Bogi with Trae when floor spacing is needed and next to Bufkin to help with ball handling and scoring.  Trae is probably going to play around 35 minutes per game and Daniels and Bogi will both clearly play a lot more than 13 mpg.  

• Like 2