• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Larry Nance Jr

JayBirdHawk

The Hawks don’t need role players they need high level talent.  Probably traded by the deadline to a team fighting for the playoffs that can use his defense.  For the Hawks he is just a necessary piece to fill out the roster. Trading Nance along with Capela,Hunter, Bogi,OO,and Young are the only way the Hawks can jump-start this rebuild.  Maybe taking back salary after unloading some of these pieces. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

We really could have used Nance last year when JJ went down.  I'm glad we have him. 

He is the exact kind of player I was advocating would really enhance our roster last year.  An expiring ~11M guy.  I don't think it is impossible he gets traded but I think it is 100% that he will help this team be better this season if he is here.  Good depth and seemingly a good character guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

He is the exact kind of player I was advocating would really enhance our roster last year.  An expiring ~11M guy.  I don't think it is impossible he gets traded but I think it is 100% that he will help this team be better this season if he is here.  Good depth and seemingly a good character guy.

I would be looking to resign this guy not trade or let him walk

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I would be looking to resign this guy not trade or let him walk

He will be a price point guy and it may depend on the progress of some of our guys.  At age 33 (what he would be on the first year of any new deal), he will clearly be on the downside of his career but should have enough in the tank that he will still have a place in someone's rotation.  As much salary dumping of useful players as we have done, I am not banking on someone at his stage of his career being a priority for the FO.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

He will be a price point guy and it may depend on the progress of some of our guys.  At age 33 (what he would be on the first year of any new deal), he will clearly be on the downside of his career but should have enough in the tank that he will still have a place in someone's rotation.  As much salary dumping of useful players as we have done, I am not banking on someone at his stage of his career being a priority for the FO.

How old is Horford again?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How old is Horford again?

Horford is an extreme outlier but even he saw significant drops in his production in his age 33 and 34 seasons.  He surprisingly reversed that and had a bit of a renaissance after returning to Boston at age 35.  His sustained excellence as a big man is highly unusual.

But let's accept that Nance is also an extreme outlier.  He will still be a price point guy.  It will depend on the market and whether the team is willing to carry his salary.  If the FO doesn't want to carry your salary, they will dump you for cheaper replacements.  (Moving guys you no longer believe in at their price point is sensible even if I think the return on most of those trades wasn't very good.  In the case of Nance, however, they just simply wouldn't resign him if they didn't think he was worth what it would take to keep him.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Horford is an extreme outlier but even he saw significant drops in his production in his age 33 and 34 seasons.  He surprisingly reversed that and had a bit of a renaissance after returning to Boston at age 35.  His sustained excellence as a big man is highly unusual.

But let's accept that Nance is also an extreme outlier.  He will still be a price point guy.  It will depend on the market and whether the team is willing to carry his salary.  If the FO doesn't want to carry your salary, they will dump you for cheaper replacements.  (Moving guys you no longer believe in at their price point is sensible even if I think the return on most of those trades wasn't very good.  In the case of Nance, however, they just simply wouldn't resign him if they didn't think he was worth what it would take to keep him.)

He is $11 mill now and if that drops to $5 or$6 mil per year for 2 years, I would consider it

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He is $11 mill now and if that drops to $5 or$6 mil per year for 2 years, I would consider it

A 2 year $10M deal sounds great.  No pushback on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

I don’t mind lance. He had some toughness to his game that we badly need and been needing.

Sounds like a great replacement for Bey on our roster!

:smug:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A career 2:1 assist to turnover ratio for a Big is always a huge plus for me.  His three point shooting is respectable, I’d like to see a slight boost in attempts.

I’ve always loved the Trae give-and-go (they call it “chasing the pass” now) but it doesn’t happen nearly enough for us.  It’s usually successful but that ain’t nothing new.

It was developed out of necessity in the early days because dudes legit couldn’t dribble and wanted to come off screens quicker.  Then it became prettier with Wilt and Kareem serving as great screener/ passers and then Nash took it to another level.  Now you’d seldom see Steph or Jamal Murray ever keep their dribble all the way through a screen action with Draymond or Jokic, respectively.  Bam is a hub because of it.

Long story short that little hand-off and get back, a meshing of on and off ball skill, allows the ball handler to “pause” his dribble to get around the screener a bit faster.  It also confuses the defensive duo because the screener is actually on ball for a split second with the option to drive into open space if permitted.  Nance’s ability to dribble once and explode bode well for that.  The ballhandler can also manufacture catch and shoot opportunities on miscommunications, an easier, more effective shot for Trae than off the dribble.

I think Nance has the IQ, passing chops, and handle to run this action with Trae a lot more than Clint or OO has. If so I’m gonna love that little wrinkle.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Larry Nance Jr. Reflects Fondly on Former Teammates, Has No Ties to Hawks

Nance has played with 130 different teammates in his career, per RealGM. But he revealed he has no ties to his new team.

“Funny enough, of 30 teams, I probably know three to four people, players on each team,” Nance said. “But the Hawks, that was the one team that I know I have no prior previous relationships with anybody. So I’m going down there like, ‘How you doing? [I’m] Larry.’”

Nance is on an expiring contract and, at 31 years old, does not fit the Hawks’ current timeline.

His desire to return home and fit with this iteration of the Hawks could pave the way for an inter-conference trade down the road. For now, Nance is bought in just like Trae Young.

“I was thrilled to get out of the West, because that 1 through 6, 1 through 15 there is brutal. But if you look at the East, we got a number amount of teams that aren't looking to make the playoffs or care more about their draft stock than wins, and we're not one of those teams. So, hopefully, if we do what we're supposed to do, we'll snag an 8-seed, snag a 7-seed, surprise some people.”

• Thanks 1