• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Void at the shooting guard position

Peoriabird

Since our starting 2 guard was traded...What will the Hawks do to fill the void?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Lets see who summer league/preseason starts before we commit like this.  I'm not ready to just hand the starting spot to Zacch.  1st pick or not, he has to earn that starting spot.

This is why I qualified the question by adding the phrase "Under ideal circumstances"

• Thanks 1

Also, we were absolutely better the last two years with Bogi at “shooting guard” than we were with Murray at “shooting guard”.   

We will be far more efficient and effective with Bogi, Kobe, and Dyson sharing the minutes.   None of them are going to stop the ball and isolate so they can get to their middy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I think you guys are going to be very frustrated putting in a rookie to start.  I hope Zach spends a few games in College Park getting his feet wet before coming off the bench for us.  If he can earn starter minutes before the end of the season, that’s excellent.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think you guys are going to be very frustrated putting in a rookie to start.  I hope Zach spends a few games in College Park getting his feet wet before coming off the bench for us.  If he can earn starter minutes before the end of the season, that’s excellent.

Again...ideal means that he is startable. If he isn't startable then of course not. Same goes for Dyson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, I agree with @Macknsweetjones jalen should play more 3.

Count me in the group that wants Jalen at 3.

A starting PF needs to be more like Alex Sarr types or Julius Randle

Or even someone that can handle Al Horford when Porzingis is playing with him

Edited by theheroatl

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, I agree with @Macknsweetjones jalen should play more 3.

If JJ plays 3 then who plays the 4?  

If JJ and Risacher start on the wings the Hawks will be short on 3 point volume and the spacing will be a mess on offense, particularly since they don't have any 4s (other than JJ) or 5s that help with spacing.

Bogi should definitely start, if the Hawks are serious about winning.  Zacch should play all of his minutes at the 3.

Contrary to popular belief, Bogi has ALWAYS wanted to be the starter, even back when Huerter was here.  Trae and Bogi has had good chemistry when playing together. And they are by far our best offensive option in the backcourt.

My big thing is to make sure that Bufkin is getting his 15 - 20 min a game manning the backup PG spot with spot minutes at the 2.

PG - Trae ( 34 ) - Bufkin ( 14 )

G - Bogi ( 24 ) - Daniels ( 20 ) - Bufkin ( 4 )

F - Hunter ( 28 ) - Zacch ( 20 )

Hunter still may play spot minutes at the 4, knowing Quin.

But as long as Hunter is on this team, we still have a big time defensive rebounding issue we need to address.  It won't matter how good our perimeter defense has become, if we still can't secure defensive rebounds.

We still need a trade for a big time frontcourt star, at SF or C.

But if people are just worried about Zacch's development, go ahead and start him, even if it's to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

At the end of games, Quin is still going to opt to finish the game with

Trae - Bogi - Hunter - JJ - OO

Zacch would have to be playing at a higher level than Bogi or Hunter, to crack that end of game rotation.

I mean, unless people are fine with Trae going into Iverson mode with this lineup

Trae - Daniels - Zacch - JJ - OO

With this lineup, Trae is shooting the ball 50% of the time. Can't trust Daniels as a shooter. OO can't create his own shot. Zacch is a rookie so he'll be good and bad, and while we all want JJ to be a 20+ ppg scorer, he doesn't have that mentality yet.

So get ready for Trae Iverson in the 4th quarter of these games. 

• Like 1

Do yall remember the last time this team went on a straight heater that carried them deep in to the playoffs it was with Bogi starting next to Huerter?

Bogi had the HIGHEST on/off split for our team last season. He was in every one of our best 5 man units.

His shooting gravity is also the highest on the team.

I understand the defensive juggernaut vision we are fantasizing about, but this team will be most dangerous with Bogi keeping opposing defenses honest and off of Trae. I do think they go back to the rotation where one of Trae/Bogi is on the court at all times as well. The wing defenders will be scattered around their minutes.