• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Void at the shooting guard position

Peoriabird

Since our starting 2 guard was traded...What will the Hawks do to fill the void?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BangHolman said:

Bogi until proven otherwise 

Afte thinking about this more, I agree.  He will clearly be the best player getting regular minutes at the 2 next year if he keeps up his recent play.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I also agree with the notion that JJ should play more at the 3 ... but only if we add potential star player at the 4.

Zero chance we have a star PF next year other than JJ.  We already played our big chip.  All that is left now is role players and damaged goods players like Ayton.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Packfill said:

If JJ plays 3 then who plays the 4?  

If JJ and Risacher start on the wings the Hawks will be short on 3 point volume and the spacing will be a mess on offense, particularly since they don't have any 4s (other than JJ) or 5s that help with spacing.

I said more 3 as in back up minutes at the 3 not start at the 3.  Those backup 4 minutes can be gobbled up by Nance/Gueye/Okongwu

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, AHF said:

Afte thinking about this more, I agree.  He will clearly be the best player getting regular minutes at the 2 next year if he keeps up his recent play.

To me, Bogie is the quintessential Back up player...Use him when he is hot, sit him when he is not because he offers little else

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

To me, Bogie is the quintessential Back up players...Use him when he is hot, sit him when he is not because he offers little else

I view him similarly.  WHEN Risacher earns a starting spot,  Kobe | Bogi | Daniels | OO is going to be fun watching off the bench.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think Bogi.  I'm worried about the offense next year after losing Murray.  And I don't think Zacc is ready from day 1, the dude is so skinny he's probably going to get bullied.  Hopefully by the end of the year he can start.  

I expect JJ to average 20+ ppg next year and think that is very doable.

If JJ is our #3 starter and our draft pick is his back-up, this leaves Hunter to start at the #4 with M. Gueye as his back-up.  We have Bogie and our newest player for the #2 guard and Kobe Bufkin to back-up Trae at the #1.  Capela, 0017 and Nance Jr are our current centers with Bruno seeming to be crowded out.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

To me, Bogie is the quintessential Back up players...Use him when he is hot, sit him when he is not because he offers little else

I get that but I think it undersells his consistency.   The team has been significantly better with him on the court for years and his floor spacing is really valuable and effective next to Trae.  Doesn’t guarantee him a starting job or anything but his major competition is a rookie and a dynamic defensive wing with no jumper so Bogi getting the start makes sense to me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, parfait said:

If he shows enough promise in the preseason I would start Daniels, with Bogi staying in his 6th man role. A dark-horse candidate, also assuming a good preseason, could be Bufkin.

Would love it if Daniels earns the starting job but really worry about floor spacing since he is a zero threat from the perimeter and shooting has been so effective next to Trae.  If Risacher can handle it, he is the ideal but all about readiness with him.  Bufkin is too small to pair with Trae, imo.  Obvious readiness questions there too.  

FWIW and I think context means the gap is inflated but the Pelicans were +0.1 points per 100 possessions better when Daniels was on the floor versus when he was off last year while Atlanta was an incredible +10.8 points per 100 possessions better when Bogi was in the floor than when he was off it. (Again this is inflated by the Trae/DJM pairing sucking but even cutting that in half would be fantastic.)

Bogi is also the elder statesman and vet and if we have any thoughts about trading him then starting him would be a nice way to feature him for other teams.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

I get that but I think it undersells his consistency.   The team has been significantly better with him on the court for years and his floor spacing is really valuable and effective next to Trae.  Doesn’t guarantee him a starting job or anything but his major competition is a rookie and a dynamic defensive wing with no jumper so Bogi getting the start makes sense to me.

His defense is trash and this is the Hawk's problem not offense

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

If JJ is our #3 starter and our draft pick is his back-up, this leaves Hunter to start at the #4 with M. Gueye as his back-up.  We have Bogie and our newest player for the #2 guard and Kobe Bufkin to back-up Trae at the #1.  Capela, 0017 and Nance Jr are our current centers with Bruno seeming to be crowded out.

:smug:

I'm not suggesting that JJ starts at the 3 and the rook may well not be ready to start.  I doubt he is better than Hunter at the 3 right now.  His best chance in my opinion is to see how he fits at the 2 guard position

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

His defense is trash and this the Hawk's problem not offense

The numbers back up the team outscoring the opposition by a ton more when he is on the court and that is the point of the game.  All about what is best for the team.

Daniels will be the starting 2 next year, easily. He's the ideal defensive pairing with Trae to be the on-ball defender. Offensively Risacher and JJ will have to help carry the load. 

Risacher will also quickly be the starting 3 soon in the season, if perhaps not at the start - especially if Hunter is traded for a C as rumored. 

Bogi and Bufkin should remain the offensive engines off the bench when Trae sits. 

Anyone doubting Daniels as the starting 2 next year are vastly undervaluing this kid's defense, and how much it's needed next to Trae.

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

I can see Kobe Bufkin taking a step next season.  As good as his defense is, he's got some on ball creation upside.  And I can see him getting minutes at both guard spots next season.

If I understood Landry correct, I don't think the Hawks will be blocking the development opportunities for Risacher.  I expect that they will clear a path for him the same way the Wizards did for Sarr.  Even with the Hawks looking to win next season, he's going to play a ton.