• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

theheroatl

4 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Why in the hell did he stay in the draft?  LeBron is about to retire anyway and Bronny will be immediately cut.  Bron should have told him to stay in school.  

If he stayed in college for 4 years, improved, he could have become a late first/early 2nd and enter the NBA when he was much more ready to contribute and actually have a chance at a career.  But after this abomination noone is ever going to give him another chance.

Yeah, dude is just not good - and would have likely gone undrafted but for his father still being with the Lakers. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Lebron wants to truly retire at the end of this season, and that Bronny entering the draft this year, instead of staying in college to hone his craft and turn into a respectable player, allows Lebron to fulfill the never-seen-before father-son tandem on an NBA court at the same time. Admittedly, it would be cool as hell to share in something I love and have played all my life with a child doing the same thing with me on the same team - it's an enviable dynamic you just don't see due to inherent age gaps and the zillions of other options offspring have available to them to do as a career.

I still don't agree with it, though. It's really clear that not only is Bronny undersized and raw...he just isn't very good - and likely never will be. 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

Yeah, dude is just not good - and would have likely gone undrafted but for his father still being with the Lakers. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Lebron wants to truly retire at the end of this season, and that Bronny entering the draft this year, instead of staying in college to hone his craft and turn into a respectable player, allows Lebron to fulfill the never-seen-before father-son tandem on an NBA court at the same time. Admittedly, it would be cool as hell to share in something I love and have played all my life with a child doing the same thing with me on the same team - it's an enviable dynamic you just don't see due to inherent age gaps and the zillions of other options offspring have available to them to do as a career.

I still don't agree with it, though. It's really clear that not only is Bronny undersized and raw...he just isn't very good - and likely never will be. 

It's really just not that big a deal though, imo.  It'll just be a footnote in history.  I mean, how often do we talk about Ken Griffey Jr playing with his dad his rookie year?  And it's going to be a few garbage minutes the entire season.  It's not like they are really playing together.  Hell Bronny probably won't even be dressed out most of the season.

LeBron already has everything why did he need this.  Who knows maybe it really was Bronny's decision and he thought he was ready, but this decision is torching his career.  

• Moderators

I don't think Bronny had much of a chance to be an NBA player if he stayed for 4 years.  This is probably his best chance to make it even if slim.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think Bronny had much of a chance to be an NBA player if he stayed for 4 years.  This is probably his best chance to make it even if slim.

That would imply that Bronny believed he had no chance at the NBA 3 years from now, or that LeBron told him he didn't have much of a chance.  I doubt either of is true.  

At least having a solid college career to reflect on would be fun to remember.

Bronny was a top 20-30 ranked high school recruit, i think with 3 more years of development he could have at least been drafted.  

1 hour ago, AHF said:

He wouldn’t be in the NBA at all if not for nepotism.  It is the reason he has a chance.  Up to him to crave out a role.

That’s my point. Being given this spotlight and undeserved drafting in to an organization that needs real on court contributors is going to undermine his credibility as a young professional. Teams were allegedly told not to draft him just so he could stink it up for the Lakers. This won’t be forgotten, and the moment Pa-pah retires he will have no legs to stand on unless Bron becomes an executive somewhere and strong arms another franchise.

Bronny would have been better off earning it from the mud IF he was actually good enough. Most teams won’t want to associate with this obviously marketing ploy to appease an aging goat.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, AtLaS said:

That would imply that Bronny believed he had no chance at the NBA 3 years from now, or that LeBron told him he didn't have much of a chance.  I doubt either of is true.  

At least having a solid college career to reflect on would be fun to remember.

Bronny was a top 20-30 ranked high school recruit, i think with 3 more years of development he could have at least been drafted.  

Bronny has always gotten way more attention than he otherwise would because he is LeBron's son.  Without the family ties I don't think he would have a chance at being in the NBA 3 years from now and don't think he was really a top 20-30 high school prospect.  (I view it like movie reviews where the studio is paying people to review the movie after paying for an expensive meal for the critic.  LeBron's name bumped Bronny's HS ranking up just like his draft projection.)  I won't speculate as to what Bronny thought or what LeBron told him.  That is just my view of him as a prospect from what I've seen.

5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That’s my point. Being given this spotlight and undeserved drafting in to an organization that needs real on court contributors is going to undermine his credibility as a young professional. Teams were allegedly told not to draft him just so he could stink it up for the Lakers. This won’t be forgotten, and the moment Pa-pah retires he will have no legs to stand on unless Bron becomes an executive somewhere and strong arms another franchise.

Bronny would have been better off earning it from the mud IF he was actually good enough. Most teams won’t want to associate with this obviously marketing ploy to appease an aging goat.

Eh.  The Lakers used the #55 pick in the draft on him.  That pick will almost never get you anything worthwhile so it wasn't a big opportunity cost.  Bronny sucks up a roster spot but the bottom of the roster guys rarely are impactful and it ensured LeBron returned for this year which absolutely is impactful for LA.  I think he will either sink or swim over the length of this contract and if he proves to be worth a roster spot that teams won't hold it against him.  Obviously once LeBron is gone he will have to earn a roster spot on his own merits.  I would bet against that if I had to bet but wish him the best.  I would certainly prefer as a fan not to hear his name again until he does something on the basketball court to merit it but LeBron is that big of a star so I'm kind of resigned to the knowledge that he'll get outsized attention in the near term.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

16/9/1.5 blocks

Thats a lot of $. I mean, wow.

What does that mean for JJ.

Mobley's contract breakdown

2025/26- $38.66M 2026/27- $41.75M 2027/28- $44.85M 2028/29- $47.94M 2029/30- $52.03M

3 year careers:

Screenshot_20240721_090608_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last season:

Screenshot_20240721_090655_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090718_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090849_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What does that mean for JJ.

Mobley's contract breakdown

2025/26- $38.66M 2026/27- $41.75M 2027/28- $44.85M 2028/29- $47.94M 2029/30- $52.03M

3 year careers:

Screenshot_20240721_090608_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last season:

Screenshot_20240721_090655_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090718_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240721_090849_Samsung Internet.jpg

I can’t see the correlation.  That’s a pretty big WS/48 gap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Hawksquawk members are not big fans of the win share stat. 

I know, a few use it.  Mobley has a big ratings vs team edge that I would attribute to more efficient shooting and defensive positioning.  Jalen bests him in on/off due to much quicker poss-to-poss offensive decision making and the fact that the Cavs are considerably better with Allen on and Mobley off than vice versa.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't know that I'm a fan or not so I had to look it up:

Win Shares is a player statistic which attempts to divvy up credit for team success to the individuals on the team. Full details are available below, but the important things to note are that it is calculated using player, team and league-wide statistics and the sum of player win shares on a given team will be roughly equal to that team’s win total for the season

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I think the win share stat (and per minute version) is not the best but is one of the better “all in” metrics.  Being on a bad team doesn’t stop someone from posting a strong number and being on a good team doesn’t carry a bad player.  

On JJ and Mobley, I think health is a huge distinguishing factor and that combined with draft slot and metrics should mean Mobley’s contract is much bigger than JJ’s.  I’m skeptical that Cleveland ends up keeping Mobley and Allen, though, and this seems like an all-in move on Mobley.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

No we aren’t we just wanna win, F the stats.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I know

Ya u do.