• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

theheroatl

2 minutes ago, phoostal said:

I wonder if Trae would do this type of deal?

Think we should hire his dad and all his college teammates first? 

Or are folks meant to believe he left money on the table 'cause he lOvE nEw YaWk? 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, phoostal said:

I wonder if Trae would do this type of deal?

He took the maximum extension to his existing contract vs becoming a FA next year and signing a 5yr 30% max. All in the hopes of cashing in 4 years from now to get a possible 5yr/$420 mil deal

Screenshot_20240712_172508_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

These numbers are getting ridiculous.  These guys are going to have half a billion or more at the end of their careers.  That doesn't even count endorsement money. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Think we should hire his dad and all his college teammates first? 

Or are folks meant to believe he left money on the table 'cause he lOvE nEw YaWk? 

Daddy works there - I smell cap circumvention as well...let's see if Daddy gets a raise too 🤓

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Cool, Brunson going to get some heavy marketing push from the team to set him up with big endorsement deals.  Although I'm just gonna use this to fuel my argument he's overrated and not worthy of a max anyways 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, phoostal said:

These numbers are getting ridiculous.  These guys are going to have half a billion or more at the end of their careers.  That doesn't even count endorsement money. 

The money is what the money is. I don't begrudge these players making whatever they make. 

I'm just jealous I can't make 1% of that billion :laugh1:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I just realized that Brunson is 28. So he's hoping to make up the $113 in 4 years when he's 32???? 

Then again bird in hand and all....see Isaiah Thomas and our own Saddiq Bey.

• Confused 1

Woof there's is nothing I hate more than "ooo I took less money than I could have" discourse. 

I have long believed this sort of thing should not be allowed across all sports. 

It really circumvents the competitive reasoning behind things like salary caps. 

I will die on this hill. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Afro said:

Woof there's is nothing I hate more than "ooo I took less money than I could have" discourse. 

I have long believed this sort of thing should not be allowed across all sports. 

I will die on this hill. 

How do you enforce that though lol like would you say DJ took less money “than he should have”?  You can argue that but you can also argue its a fair deal.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Afro said:

I will die on this hill. 

Why? DJ, took a max extension to his existing contract last year $25 mil vs becoming an UFA this offseason and cashing in, more likely could have gotten +$35 mil.

In the interest of fairness, yes the DJM deal counts too lol. 

I understand that the NBA is a little weird with the way they structure extensions. 

That doesn't necessarily change the fact that players/teams are incentivized on the court to take below market solely because it circumvents the true reasoning behind salary caps. Again, I understand that there are other real world reasons behind deals like DJMs and Brunsons.

A different example would be LeBron saying he'd take 18ish mill less if the Lakers used that money to sign someone like Klay. That is circumventing the whole point of the system. Mahomes, Brady, ohtani. 

It all circumvents the system. It forces teams to find guys that can afford to take less in order to match the competitive advantage that another teams very unique situation creates. 

I don't think it's fair for a league where you'd need to ask Matt Ryan to take a 15 mill pay cut to keep up with teams that have Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady when those guys can take pay cuts because they make enough off the field. 

Like the Lakers shouldn't be "able" to afford an extra large piece just because LeBron is so f***ing rich he doesn't care how much his salary is. They're "able" to purchase more talent than the cap would otherwise allow just because LeBron is a billionaire. 

Edited by Afro
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoostal said:

mQrgWR@facebook.gif

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Does anyone know with the games on Amazon can you watch them with just Prime or will you need to buy a sports add on?  I hope the former.

3 hours ago, phoostal said:

Bro took way less money 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bogi puts that white jersey on and turns in super bog

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Does anyone know with the games on Amazon can you watch them with just Prime or will you need to buy a sports add on?  I hope the former.

Don't know.

I hope we don't need to buy anything else.

• Premium Member

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Daddy works there - I smell cap circumvention as well...let's see if Daddy gets a raise too 🤓

Leon Rose, President of the Knicks is also Brunson's Godfather. His agent Sam Rose is the son of Leon Rose.

@kg01 @phoostal

Something smells 👃  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2