• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

theheroatl

I just watched Landry’s end of the season press conference and listening to it again - he reminds me of an old sr leader I use to work for.  Always acknowledging when they’ve dropped the ball but then expecting everyone to see things through with them. No accountability. 

basically, a bunch talk. He’s all talk and no action. If we do nothing by July 6th then I’m not planning to catch any games this year. My family and I went to a few last year but it’s a nonstarter for me if they do nothing. Absolutely unacceptable. 

sadly I think getting the #1 draft pick gave them excuse to make minimal changes and run it back via a soft rebuild. 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Before I could take anything from this chart, I would need to know how he's calculating Expected Wins.  Is it based on each players production in the previous season?  Because I would and will argue that Daniels will have a more prominent role in Atlanta than he had in NO.  I would also ask the question if team fit is considered (it's not) or if it is simply a derivation of each players statistical output in the previous year.  How do you account for Trae being better next year given the omission of DJM?  How do you account for injuries?  

IOW....that chart doesn't really mean much until it is better understood.  

Looking at his older Twitter posts he’s assigning a cumulative win worth to each player based on PER, LEBRON, RAPTOR, Win shares, box plus minus, adjusted plus minus, and estimated plus minus.  Only evaluating the players going in and out, not those who are still rostered from last season. 

It checks out pretty well, overrating defense a bit with Caruso, Derrick Jones, Josh Green, Kris Dunn, Daniels, KCP (no one inflates his teammates metrics like Jokic). IF (big if) Nance can stay healthier than his history suggests I agree with the general premise that purely the player swap with NO won’t bring about a significant decrease to the win total. 

Basketball Reference does project Trae to be a bit better this season without DJ due to better rebounding and FG shooting:

IMG_1719.thumb.jpeg.7e7808599789181173e8288e592f0109.jpeg

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

So the Lakers GM/coach just agreed on a 2 year deal worth 104 million dollars. Is this the pay cut his cult followers were talking about? Will this allow the Lakers any flexibility?

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Alex said:

So the Lakers GM/coach just agreed on a 2 year deal worth 104 million dollars. Is this the pay cut his cult followers were talking about? Will this allow the Lakers any flexibility?

That a max deal. He would only take a payout to about $35 mil mil per (maybe $40 mil per) if they got Klay, Harden, or some other guy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Lakers offseason was a complete disaster.  They have a top 2 GOAT candidate (about to turn 40 tho) and a top 10 player (when healthy), and they could not get anyone to join their team except a new podcaster coach-- and he can't even seem to get assistants in the house.  That number 1 pick secured in the DJ deal is starting to look juicy.  Their roster currently:

D'Lo / Vincent / Jalen Hood-Schifno

Reaves / Max Christie / Bronny

Vanderbilt / Reddish / Knecht

Hachimura / Vanderbilt

AD / Christian Wood

Pretty sure Wood and DLo (if they can find a taker) will be gone too.

But don't worry, the past years' Murray stories are being rewritten.  This time, it's Jerami Grant 'coming to LA'.  Smh 

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Lakers offseason was a complete disaster.  They have a top 2 GOAT candidate (about to turn 40 tho) and a top 10 player (when healthy), and they could not get anyone to join their team except a new podcaster coach-- and he can't even seem to get assistants in the house.  That number 1 pick secured in the DJ deal is starting to look juicy.  Their roster currently:

Hachimura / Vanderbilt

AD / Christian Wood

Agree that it can't be going better from our perspective other than the Knecht pick.  I do think he could be NBA ready and if he hits could be a real nice addition to their rotation.  They still definitely have the talent to ultimately make the playoffs but there are more scenarios today where they implode than you would have expected coming into the offseason.

I am hoping that Bronny's arrival doesn't mean a highly motivated LeBron because I could see that happening and a motivated and healthy LeBron goes a long, long way over a regular season.  (It will be interesting to see how much playing time Bronny gets because those will almost surely be minutes that make the team worse.)

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am hoping that Bronny's arrival doesn't mean a highly motivated LeBron because I could see that happening and a motivated and healthy LeBron goes a long, long way over a regular season.  (It will be interesting to see how much playing time Bronny gets because those will almost surely be minutes that make the team worse.)

I hope not, I've already said, I hope LBJ gives up some minutes so Bronny can gain some developmental minutes. :praying:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe all these guys like Monte Morris and Delon Wright are just like...

Agent: We got offers from Atlanta, Phoenix, OKC, and Sacramento

Player: Definitely Phoenix.. I'd rather play with a team with top end talent and have a chance to win a chip

THATS WHY TOP END TALENT AND MAKE THOSE SWINGS IS SO MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THAN "CULTURE"

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

THATS WHY TOP END TALENT AND MAKE THOSE SWINGS IS SO MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THAN "CULTURE"

I agree with you 100%.  Having top end talent that players want to play with is by far the best way to attract free agents.  Sadly, most players in the league do not respect Trae, as we see in every new player poll, all-star voting, etc. so he is probably a contributing barrier to signing free agents. 

Culture, in my opinion, is very important for retaining the talent you have.  If I were modeling out the impact of culture on a spreadsheet, which would probably be an ill-advised exercise, I would model it as a discount on extensions, particularly rookies into their first contracts.  There are also important on-court benefits to having a positive culture that generally lead to higher chemistry and teamwork.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, warcore said:

I don't get why everyone is so upset that the Hawks haven't done anything in free agency yet. They're still trying to figure out how to trade DJ because they didn't know the rules. 

Gotta get past that before they can start reading up on how free agency works. 

FYI I just thanked you to get you to hit for the cycle is all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Hachimura / Vanderbilt

AD / Christian Wood

Um, I think you're omitting someone from their roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3