• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prime performing age of NBA players (27-31) - Reasons for concern?

thecampster

So I've been looking at our Roster and specifically have been thinking about this study from this article: https://digitalcommons.bryant.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1223&context=eeb#:~:text=Player performance statistics data was,after the age of 32.

""Player performance statistics data was collected from ESPN and analyzed to help determine at what age players reach their prime productivity levels for a team. The findings suggest that the prime performing age of NBA players is between 27 and 31 years old, with a slight decline in performance after the age of 32."

This window is the best combination of physical, mental and emotional maturity. So I took a look at our roster and it is as follows.

>31

32 Bogdan Bogdanovic
32 Larry Nance Jr

27 - 31

30 Clint Capela
28 Garrison Matthews
27 De'Andre Hunter

<27

26 Trae Young
26 Bruno Fernando
24 Onyeka Okongwu
24 EJ Liddell
23 Jalen Johnson
22 Mouhamed Gueye
21 Kobe Bufkin
21 Dyson Daniels
19 Zaccharie Risacher

2 way players

24 Vit

24 Lundy

Using basic analysis we can see improvement in players as they age. I've always felt the magic number (especially for bigs) was 25.  Looking at our roster as of today and assuming a 10 deep rotation, we are projecting a lot of time for 7 players who are outside of the 27-31 max efficiency window.  Does it bother anyone else that we are depending so heavily on players that haven't yet reached 25 or are starting to age?  Specifically, we are putting a lot on Bufkin, Daniels and Risacher this year. I think all 3 will have good NBA careers, but that's a lot of youth and unknowns. That's a lot of not yet getting their man strength. We saw the difference a year or 2 made for JJ last year. Are we expecting too much?

• Like 1

Youth become experienced veterans by how much they play and how quickly they learn (IQ) what they are being taught.  Will any or all of our youth get any meaningful minutes this season?  Quin, this is up to you and your staff.

:smug:

49 minutes ago, Afro said:

Yes, but even putting age aside...

There are only 2 guys in that bottom group that have proven absolutely anything... I hope this isn't the roster they take into the season. 

I'd say 3 but yah. That's part of what I noticed as well. We seem primed to do well during the regular season where vet teams only show top effort in spurts but wondering how we'd look post season. Our young group is young, both in age and post season/play time experience.

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'd say 3 but yah. That's part of what I noticed as well. We seem primed to do well during the regular season where vet teams only show top effort in spurts but wondering how we'd look post season. Our young group is young, both in age and post season/play time experience.

Yeah I changed my wording but didnt change the number lol. OO fits somewhere in the middle. He's not unquestioned like Trae and JJ, but isn't a complete "who tf knows" like the rest of em.