• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks need to add DeRozan to this team

TheNorthCydeRises

If we're even remotely serious about this season, we need to add one more vet scorer to this team. DeMar DeRozan would be an ideal addition.

Despite his preference to shoot a bunch of midrange jumpers, he's one of the best to have ever do it. He's consistently killed teams with that shot, including the Hawks.

The experiment with the kids could easily backfire on us and take longer for them to develop into solid NBA players. It would be very nice to have professional scorers like Bogi and DeMar to play alongside Trae during crunch time in a game.

It would be very nice to see the Hawks and Bulla execute a sign and trade that would bring DeRozan to the Hawks on a 3 yr dear - 60+ million deal, while shipping Hunter out.

Tell DeMar that he's going to come off the bench and get 20 - 25 min a game. If he's cooking, his minutes will be extended.  If not, we'll let the kids get more minutes.

I think the Hawks can save their offseason if they pull a move like this off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Adding DD would shine too bright a light on the need to win now. I don’t think the franchise wants to go there. Going young buys the front office, coaching staff and marketing team at least a year. 

Gahdayum you hit the nail on the head.  I've long thought that the concept of rebuilding is only a tool for management to extend their job security without merit.

"Starting over" only adds about 7 years of "nah we can't win, but look at all the draft pix tho".

And mouth breathers fall for it.

So, sadly, I'm dubious on the prospect of adding Derozen.  It's an intriguing concept tho.

I expect him back in CHI since they don't know what TF they're doing but can pay him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We can’t afford him but, yes, he is exactly what we are missing.

As @TheNorthCydeRises said - it would need to be a SnT for Hunter. 

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I expect him back in CHI since they don't know what TF they're doing but can pay him. 

Alex Caruso for Josh Giddey trade was final straw for DeMar DeRozan with Bulls?

i_6a_71_0f_demar-derozan.png?w=190

Veteran DeMar DeRozan spent the last three seasons playing the role of “The King of the Fourth” to perfection. Whether it was a ridiculous corner three at the final horn or his lethal mid-range game when a big shot was needed, DeRozan bailed his teammates out of sticky situations time and time again. It now appears that DeRozan will save the Bulls no more. A source told the Sun-Times late Sunday night that the Alex Caruso-Josh Giddey trade was the final straw in DeRozan’s mind for any sort of return, as the 34-year-old will now use his free agency to shop elsewhere.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3 year declining deal with a team option and/or partial guarantee in year 3.

My thoughts exactly

DeRozan really is a "missing puzzle piece" to this lineup. People criticize but his game really would fit with Trae.

BUT ALAS..

We are counting on Laundry and the gang to do a deal.... so scratch that idea.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3 year declining deal with a team option and/or partial guarantee in year 3.

Wake me when our front office does something savvy like this. 

".... here lies kg.  He slept and never woke..."

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Alex Caruso for Josh Giddey trade was final straw for DeMar DeRozan with Bulls?

i_6a_71_0f_demar-derozan.png?w=190

Veteran DeMar DeRozan spent the last three seasons playing the role of “The King of the Fourth” to perfection. Whether it was a ridiculous corner three at the final horn or his lethal mid-range game when a big shot was needed, DeRozan bailed his teammates out of sticky situations time and time again. It now appears that DeRozan will save the Bulls no more. A source told the Sun-Times late Sunday night that the Alex Caruso-Josh Giddey trade was the final straw in DeRozan’s mind for any sort of return, as the 34-year-old will now use his free agency to shop elsewhere.

In addition to the basketball reasons, Dero has a teen or pre-teen daughter so this report doesn't surprise me.  Not speaking to the guilt or innocence of Giddey, just to the perception. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Whether it's DeRozan or someone who still has tread in the tires, they need to move the needle in the other direction. Staging an annual giveaway in the summer (see Huerter, Collins, DJM) while crying 'salary cap!!!' doesn't do you any good. But don't just take my word for it; ask Stan Kasten and Pete Babcock. They'll verify...

Good rant.

They need to do something today or tomorrow... at least finish the damn DJM trade so we know that FO isn't just taking the july 4th holiday week off.

Honestly, the DJM trade was so big for this franchise (that's why I was excited.. it was an actual trade to acquire an all-star) that it showed the franchise FO was willing to make moves to attempt to win more.

Since then, what moves have been made? They had one good attempt and it backfired.. so are they going to stop getting talent that way and just keep dripping talent in via the draft for years to come.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I think he’d want either more money and/or more playing time than we could or should give him. If he’s taking less of either, it’s to play with either LA team, Dubs, Mavs, etc. not the Hawks. 

Bulls offered him 2yrs/$40 mill - he was looking for additional years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we're even remotely serious about this season, we need to add one more vet scorer to this team. DeMar DeRozan would be an ideal addition.

Despite his preference to shoot a bunch of midrange jumpers, he's one of the best to have ever do it. He's consistently killed teams with that shot, including the Hawks.

The experiment with the kids could easily backfire on us and take longer for them to develop into solid NBA players. It would be very nice to have professional scorers like Bogi and DeMar to play alongside Trae during crunch time in a game.

It would be very nice to see the Hawks and Bulla execute a sign and trade that would bring DeRozan to the Hawks on a 3 yr dear - 60+ million deal, while shipping Hunter out.

Tell DeMar that he's going to come off the bench and get 20 - 25 min a game. If he's cooking, his minutes will be extended.  If not, we'll let the kids get more minutes.

I think the Hawks can save their offseason if they pull a move like this off.

I really like this idea BTW.. 

How do you think the Hawks FO would do if the Squawk ran it?

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bulls offered him 2yrs/$40 mill - he was looking for additional years.

Market isn't going to give him 4 years so best case for him is 2+Team Option. That's doable for the Hawks.

• Like 1