• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks need to add DeRozan to this team

TheNorthCydeRises

1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

Sigh I explained why he isn’t a good fit and it has nothing to do with championships. Hawks have what 4 straight top 10 offenses with Trae yet 3 straight bottom 10 defenses. Murray is a better fit than Derozan and this teams win total decreased after the Murray trade.

Please explain how a player who needs the ball in hands to be effective while being a negative on defense helps especially a team that had a bottom 3 defense with Trae and Murray last yr (ranked 29th in defensive efficiency at the time of Trae’s injury). I think hawks need plus defenders around Trae to take a leap. 

So. You want stat quo. You think it’s best to run it back? This team has been making mediocre moves for 3 years. None moving the play in needle. How are the fans wrong for being pessimistic about this bs. The goal..as @JayBirdHawk eloquently put it, is to win championships. DeRozan is not a complete answer, but get off your azz and do something. I may be alone but I ain’t buying this “good enough” analogy. Fans of this team shouldn’t either. 

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What did Aaron Gordon do in Orlando, compared to what he has done in Denver?

Gordon is a plus defender and doesn't need the ball to be effective like Derozan. Derozan is a high usage player....I am not saying I don't want upgrades or anything I just don't like the fit of DD. If they get DD too do hawks have to trade Bogi too? Bogi, Derozan Daniels, Risacher, is a log jam at the 2/3 positions and does Bufkin get no playing time now? I really want a C....really wish we could of gotten someone with size like Hartstein to go along with Okongwu but I don't know if I would have paid him that much. 

Edited by GThawks3

7 minutes ago, deester11 said:

So. You want stat quo. You think it’s best to run it back? This team has been making mediocre moves for 3 years. None moving the play in needle. How are the fans wrong for being pessimistic about this bs. The goal..as @JayBirdHawk eloquently put it, is to win championships. DeRozan is not a complete answer, but get off your azz and do something. I may be alone but I ain’t buying this “good enough” analogy. Fans of this team shouldn’t either. 

Nope never said that once even though we technically are not running it back. I just don't want Derozan lol. Agree they need to get of their azz and do something especially with Capela/Hunter. 

Edited by GThawks3

11 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

Sigh I explained why he isn’t a good fit and it has nothing to do with championships. Hawks have what 4 straight top 10 offenses with Trae yet 3 straight bottom 10 defenses. Murray is a better fit than Derozan and this teams win total decreased after the Murray trade.

Please explain how a player who needs the ball in hands to be effective while being a negative on defense helps especially a team that had a bottom 3 defense with Trae and Murray last yr (ranked 29th in defensive efficiency at the time of Trae’s injury). I think hawks need plus defenders around Trae to take a leap. 

And yes, I purposely posted videos of him killing us.   He's been doing it since he's been in the league.  A decade+ long of being bloodied and dragged through glass and gravel by DeRozan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why would DeRozan sign with the Hawks? Especially when he could sign with the Lakers or other competitive teams. At his age he is looking to win or cash out. He can do neither with the Hawks. High level FA have never seen Atlanta as a destination point even in their best years. Debating whether the Hawks should sign DeRozan is a waste of time because he is not coming here unless he absolutely has no where else to go and then he may retire. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Why would DeRozan sign with the Hawks? Especially when he could sign with the Lakers or other competitive teams. At his age he is looking to win or cash out. He can do neither with the Hawks. High level FA have never seen Atlanta as a destination point even in their best years. Debating whether the Hawks should sign DeRozan is a waste of time because he is not coming here unless he absolutely has no where else to go and then he may retire. 

It has been reported that DeRozen will not sign for the MLE (about $12 million). So he is limited to a sign and trade. And I don't believe any teams with actual cap room are interested in him, so Chicago will have to receive equal salary in return that they find palatable. It was reported that Chicago was one of the teams interested in Capela. So the hope is that Atlanta becomes the best option by default. We have to hope and pray to be his last resort, lol!

21 minutes ago, parfait said:

It has been reported that DeRozen will not sign for the MLE (about $12 million). So he is limited to a sign and trade. And I don't believe any teams with actual cap room are interested in him, so Chicago will have to receive equal salary in return that they find palatable. It was reported that Chicago was one of the teams interested in Capela. So the hope is that Atlanta becomes the best option by default. We have to hope and pray to be his last resort, lol!

Would he accept a trade to the Hawks?  Would the Hawks want a ballplayer that doesn't want to be here? Would the Hawks pay a 34 year old player over twenty mil? Why? We're in a slow news cycle I guess we need something to talk about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

DeRozan is seeking 20-25 million annually on his next contract. The Bulls are unwilling to take on contracts in a potential sign-and-trade, which means any team will need a 3rd team to send those players/contract to.

I don't recall seeing any reports of Chicago refusing any salary in return for DeRozen. But there were specific reports listing Chicago as one of the teams seeking Capela, and his salary is in the low 20's, not to mention an expiring contract. So, there could still be a match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

DeRozan is seeking 20-25 million annually on his next contract. The Bulls are unwilling to take on contracts in a potential sign-and-trade, which means any team will need a 3rd team to send those players/contract to.

Not understanding why Chicago is enforcing this for a SnT with Derozan. Are they trying to avoid the tax apron ?….

6 hours ago, parfait said:

I don't recall seeing any reports of Chicago refusing any salary in return for DeRozen. But there were specific reports listing Chicago as one of the teams seeking Capela, and his salary is in the low 20's, not to mention an expiring contract. So, there could still be a match.

Yeah it doesn’t make sense to me , why the hell wouldn’t you take back an expiring contract if one is on the table ??…seems like a stupid ass decision, there’s no need to have cap space in this dried up free agency this off season.

As I stated before, while DeRozan is not the end-all, be-all when it comes to the Hawks making a move up the Eastern Conference food chain, I've seen enough of him drag this team on many a night to at least warrant a hard look. It would be a completely different story if he was only putting up 11/4 a game the last few years but from I'm looking at, only Trae has better overall numbers on this roster than he does going into the season. So while overall defense and rim protection are obvious weaknesses when it comes to the Hawks, losing DJM without getting anything of note offensively in return is going to hurt at some point. That's the point of this entire thread, as more veteran firepower is needed if they're seriously looking at avoiding the play-in (again).

IHMO, I fully believe that the strategy of Laundry as well as Mr. Ressling I and II is to bank on the younger guys to come through (Bufkin and Zacc) while hoping beyond hope that OO, Jalen, Bogdanovic, and Hunter stays upright. While most of us don't believe that's enough to get into the top-6 of the conference (hence, threads like this), well...

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Dejay said:

IHMO, I fully believe that the strategy of Laundry as well as Mr. Ressling I and II is to bank on the younger guys to come through (Bufkin and Zacc) while hoping beyond hope that OO, Jalen, Bogdanovic, and Hunter stays upright. While most of us don't believe that's enough to get into the top-6 of the conference (hence, threads like this), well...

:good:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dejay said:

Of course this is the strategy, but its not one rooted in hope either— the front office has positioned the team and players for max development.  They brought in Quin and a highly a respected coaching staff to develop.

What is the other option here, anyways? This front office inherited a lot of mediocre talent on big contracts.  We all acknowledge the injury issues, we can all see these guys arent high ceiling players, and we can all see their contracts are not team friendly.  So what can Landry realistically do?  Its easy to commiserate, and speak in flustered platitudes, and blame Landry for not flipping bricks of clay into bricks of gold, but there is realistically no short term fix for this squad.  The path were going down makes the most sense.  Derozan isnt what is between this squad and a championship.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Of course this is the strategy, but its not one rooted in hope either— the front office has positioned the team and players for max development.  They brought in Quin and a highly a respected coaching staff to develop.

What is the other option here, anyways? This front office inherited a lot of mediocre talent on big contracts.  We all acknowledge the injury issues, we can all see these guys arent high ceiling players, and we can all see their contracts are not team friendly.  So what can Landry realistically do?  Its easy to commiserate, and speak in flustered platitudes, and blame Landry for not flipping bricks of clay into bricks of gold, but there is realistically no short term fix for this squad.  The path were going down makes the most sense.  Derozan isnt what is between this squad and a championship.

I can go with that, although I don't have to like it. And besides, weren't Laundry and others on the payroll at the time they were handing out those contracts to players who were middling and unreliable? Where were they when the Hawks were giving away contract extensions like Oprah giving away cars on her show?

I just see the contending teams moving Heaven and Earth to keep up with the Joneses, the rebuilding teams doing so with building blocks we've seen who can play while staying in the lineup more than a week before going on the injured list. And then there's the Hawks, who are trying to develop guys who have so far shown not to be overly reliable to stay on the court (see JJ, OO, Hunter), while at the same time, trying to be viable enough so that their star player (see Young, Rayford) and the fanbase who mostly support him and sellout State Farm Arena doesn't walk away in a couple of years. I'd rather them just take a sh1t or get off the pot. Just me...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dejay said:

I can go with that, although I don't have to like it. And besides, weren't Laundry and others on the payroll at the time they were handing out those contracts to players who were middling and unreliable? Where were they when the Hawks were giving away contract extensions like Oprah giving away cars on her show?

I just see the contending teams moving Heaven and Earth to keep up with the Joneses, the rebuilding teams doing so with building blocks we've seen who can play while staying in the lineup more than a week before going on the injured list. And then there's the Hawks, who are trying to develop guys who have so far shown not to be overly reliable to stay on the court (see JJ, OO, Hunter), while at the same time, trying to be viable enough so that their star player (see Young, Rayford) and the fanbase who mostly support him and sellout State Farm Arena doesn't walk away in a couple of years. I'd rather them just take a sh1t or get off the pot. Just me...

I can understand the debate around the Murray trade when things were murky with Schlenk but attributing any of those contract extensions to Landry is beyond a stretch!  JJ emerged as a clear core player for this roster going forward— Im hoping we uncover at least one more this season 

• Like 2