• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks DNA?

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Let's be honest here?  Can we be honest?

This "DNA" stuff is just like the "heat culture" nonsense we ... well, I make fun of.

Tell me what heat culture is when they don't have a talent advantage?  Yeah, I get they play the right way and all that.

But, when they don't have talent (pause for effect) ... they're not very good.

Periodt.

Give me all the word salad (shout out @JayBirdHawk for that one) you want.  But I'd rather you give me a talented roster.  Then figure all the culture-DNA stuff after you've won.

As I've said before, the worst sports movie ever is Hoosiers.  Because it makes people believe these false narratives about winning.  Yes, there are times when the little engine makes it to the top of the hill.  But the preponderance of talent wins about 99.765% of the time.  No need to vet that percentage.  I'm a GT guy, just trust the nimbers. 

Culture doesn't win championships in basketball. Top end talent does.  BUILDING A TEAM BASED ON CULTURE IS FOOLS GOLD. BUILDING A TEAM ON TALENT WORKS.

Last time Heat won the championship they had Ray Allen, Lebron James, and Chris Bosh.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Culture doesn't win championships in basketball. Top end talent does. 

Last time Heat won the championship they had Ray Allen, Lebron James, and Chris Bosh.

I challenge all the heat sycophants, that tout culture and greatness, to look at how many times they missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round with Wade on the team too.

But I've said too much ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The list of great players who wouldn't meet the Hawks DNA standard is long.  I don't just hate it because it might just be phony.  I hate it because I believe we're passing on talent because the player might be difficult, arrogant, over-confident, you know like MJ, Isiah, Bird, Magic, AI, Lebron, Butler, Luka (lol).   I don't want a team of do-gooders making 12 passes each possession.  I want someone to get a bucket, to get a block, to knock somoone to the ground on a layup.  I want to win.  

.... Does Trae even fit 'Hawks DNA'? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, Afro said:

.... Does Trae even fit 'Hawks DNA'? 

He might now but these guys never would have drafted him.  I thought about including him because I think he probably is/was difficult.  But I think his selfishness is overblown.   

Also, I think there is an unspoken tenant of Hawks DNA that gives you extra points and that's  your lifestyle.  But that's a whole can of worms discussion.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He might now but these guys never would have drafted him.  I thought about including him because I think he probably is/was difficult.  But I think his selfishness is overblown.   

Also, I think there is an unspoken tenant of Hawks DNA that gives you extra points and that's  your lifestyle.  But that's a whole can of worms discussion.  

Yeah, Trae is a very good dude off the court. I wasn't at all trying to knock him lol. 

But I think your original point has merit. It's not that Trae is selfish at all. But stars inherently *have* to be at least a little selfish, which like you say, flies directly in the face of "Hawks DNA". 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

😄

I had a response typed out.  It included Antman and Ja references.  But I erased it to avoid giving the mods a stroke/heart attack.  I would've called that a stroke-attack but figured that could be ... ah, nevermind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

😄

I had a response typed out.  It included Antman and Ja references.  But I erased it to avoid giving the mods a stroke/heart attack.  I would've called that a stroke-attack but figured that could be ... ah, nevermind. 

Yeah.  it's easy to trace it knowing who Landry and Kyle are and what they stand for and then their picks of AJ, Bufkin, Gueye plus this year's picks.   I hope the Hawks DNA works though.  Jury is out, and deadlocked.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  it's easy to trace it knowing who Landry and Kyle are and what they stand for and then their picks of AJ, Bufkin, Gueye plus this year's picks.   I hope the Hawks DNA works though.  Jury is out, and deadlocked.  

I think we all want it to work.

It just seems so vapid at the the moment.

• Like 3

Someone really needs to sit Laundry down and tell him to stop talking and start producing some rosters that are capable of being more than play-in/first round fodder. When you're renown throughout most of the country as the SD Jones of the NBA in terms of relevance, you really don't have much room to talk tough about DNA or culture.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Afro said:

Hawks DNA just screams "Bud Hawks" to me. 

And that team wasn't good enough. 

I could see a world where that roster+Trae is good enough, but I havent seen any moves that make me think we're building the talent around Trae that equals the bud Hawks. 

That's it. If they had some of the same kind of guys and were actually winning 45-50 games a year while making the big boys sweat hard for it in May, okay, I'll shut up over here. But what they're doing is sitting on their hands like Kasten and Babcock used to do in the latter years of the Nique era while banking on Trae's star power to sellout the building and sell merch. That didn't fly with us back then and most certainly won't now...

• Thanks 2