• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did we get enough value in the Murray trade?

Jdawgflow

Did we get enough in the Murray trade?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did we get enough value back in the Murray trade?

• Yes, we won the trade
    • No, we could have gotten some extra value (ie. Better filler player(s), better pick protections, extra 2nd(s)
    • No, it was an awful trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/2024 at 04:36 AM

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So the only options are We won or We lost?  How about an option for both teams got what they needed and it was a fair trade?  Why is that not even an option? 

This is a fair point.  I don’t know how to change the poll but will if I can figure it out.  I guess my thought is a fair trade would technically be a win in this instance.

I voted for Win because I don't think there's any valid argument that we lost the trade.  We essentially acquired 4 assets for a player that we HAD to trade.  And not only that but one asset (Daniels) is a perfect compliment to our star player.  So, yeah, win.  If available, I would have voted for neutral as I think NOP also got better with the trade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

I voted for Win because I don't think there's any valid argument that we lost the trade.  We essentially acquired 4 assets for a player that we HAD to trade.  And not only that but one asset (Daniels) is a perfect compliment to our star player.  So, yeah, win.  If available, I would have voted for neutral as I think NOP also got better with the trade.  

Plus Murray is a classic bad team all star since he can only be effective in a limited way on offense. He is truly a shooting who has to play point but can't run an offense.  Last year may have been his peak because of the injury to Young. No where else would he be able to take 40 shots in a game the rest of his career.  We all know about his terrible POA defense.

• Like 2

I think there are ceiling issues with Murray.

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Plus Murray is a classic bad team all star since he can only be effective in a limited way on offense. He is truly a shooting who has to play point but can't run an offense.  Last year may have been his peak because of the injury to Young. No where else would he be able to take 40 shots in a game the rest of his career.  We all know about his terrible POA defense.

Pretty well said.  Have my doubts on what he’ll do for Zion, and more excited about the fit of Dyson for us.  The Lakers pick in this draft could be really nice.  

We saw how much Murray needs the ball to play his game and his game is kind of inefficient.  He’s like Collins in that he can look good and put up stats, but plays an iso type of game that limits team offense.  I think NOP will get frustrated with Murray like we did.  

IF!  Big if!  If Dyson Daniels is as good in the future as he appears to be, the trade of Murray for DD is an even swap.  Anything else that Atlanta gets out of the deal is gravy!  

Nance should be good for at least one more season.  One of those "throw-in" players has just recovered from a major injury.  Another If.  If he is as good as he was before his injury, this is a big plus.  If not, oh well.

Got some sugar thrown in - - Draft picks in the future - - sweetens this deal a lot.

To make everything work, got another big man added to the deal.

Please remember:  Hawks had a piece of their picture puzzle that did not fit.  What if he was allowed to walk for nothing.  It has happened to Atlanta before.  Didn't happen.  Signed Murray to a very reasonable contract.  Did this trade.  We had his services for two years and we are sure either he or Trae had to go.  It happened.

Dyson Daniels replaces Murray at the 2 guard.  He appears like he will fit.  We will see.  If he does, we win this trade.  If he bombs out, we lose.  DD is younger than Murray.  He should have more years to play in the NBA.  I believe the Hawks win!

:smug:

• Like 1

I think the return for the Hawks has potential but it will be a couple of years before we know what we got. The team is likely worse off in the short term due to reduced shot making and 3pt shooting. The defense may improve but my expectations are it will take Risacher and Daniel’s a year or more to become dependable assets. 

• Like 1

We got what we could. Getting about 80% of the trade value back for 2 years of service is as good as you can expect.

It takes 2 teams to trade and the value of return is pretty mych set by the trade partner team. Since we've been shopping him for awhile this was obviously the best we could get.

Defensive help un Dyson and some of our draft picks back is good enough for me

• Like 1

Cool if you want to squint and say this was a good deal. It was ok. There are if’s associated with this deal. (Before Resslers minions tell me there are ifs in any deal..I know) but  there are ifs in everything this FO does. That added protection moved the needle for me. In the wrong direction. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

So the only options are We won or We lost?  How about an option for both teams got what they needed and it was a fair trade?  Why is that not even an option? 

Yes this is the actual real answer

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

The team has to reeeeeaaaaaallllly believe in Dyson’s value to make this trade seem like a good deal. 

Color me skeptical, but we gave them a prime starter who has a proven record of high level performances locked in on a great contract and we got their fourth option on the wing who has shown below average shooting and inability to crack their playoff rotation but has “potential.”  
The picks are a good add on, but again, there are no guarantees they will add significant value (and they will be years away if they do). 
I’m taking a couple hits on the hopium hooka crossing my fingers Dyson is better than expected and we somehow score on those picks, but barring the stars aligning and every possible positive outcome occurring, it’s hard not to view this trade as an L. 

In the words of Landry, it was about 'REGAINING ASSETS' from the original trade. Not necessarily equal assets, but some.

As long as you can reconcile that and understand what it means 😉 - it's an acceptable return, for now. 

• Sad 1