• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did we get enough value in the Murray trade?

Jdawgflow

Did we get enough in the Murray trade?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did we get enough value back in the Murray trade?

• Yes, we won the trade
    • No, we could have gotten some extra value (ie. Better filler player(s), better pick protections, extra 2nd(s)
    • No, it was an awful trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/2024 at 04:36 AM

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I guess it just took a bit to come out publicly.

I'm not sure when it was posted. I just kept seeing the original $18 mil which was last year's salary. But since the trade was delayed until the new league year, I figured the TPE should be his 2024 salary but didn't see it reported anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

DJ' new salary on NOP's Capsheet with the 15% trade kicker. The Hawks had to pay the kicker (~$12 mil, $4 mil per) which was divided over his 3 guaranteed years.

Screenshot_20240721_104309_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I thought the Hawks got good value considering our history with getting value in trades.  The two 1st is phenomenal.

The LA pick is great.  The double protected pick is better than an early second rounder but not nearly as valuable as a normal first round pick.  The only less valuable picks are ones that are expected to convert to second rounders.

The LA pick, the $$ savings, and Daniels are ~88% of the value that we got in the trade with ~7% going to the double protected pick and the remaining ~5% going to Nance.  The rest of the trade was neutral or negative value.

• Moderators

It was a good trade.  DJ wasn't helping us and we got 2 good players and picks for him.   Maybe the best trade for the Hawks in a long time.  Problem is that it's our only deal we could pull off. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It was a good trade.  DJ wasn't helping us and we got 2 good players and picks for him.   Maybe the best trade for the Hawks in a long time.  Problem is that it's our only deal we could pull off. 

Pretty much.  Both of the outcomes of the Murray trades with the Spurs and Pelicans are still so volatile.  Really depends on how we perform as a team in the next three years.  On the other side the picks from NO have potential to be very late first round picks or much better. 

Then you have Murray vs Dyson.  Murray could prove to be a high stat guy who doesn't impact winning or the spark plug NO needed at point.  Dyson could go a couple different ways as well.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

On the other side the picks from NO have potential to be very late first round picks or much better. 

The LA pick has a good chance to be much better.  The double protected pick is counting on both NO and MIL falling off badly (both won 49 games last year) but not falling off so much that the second protection applies.  It is a pretty narrow window to be a "much better" pick that makes it unreasonable to expect anything but a mid to late first, imo.  I would probably mark that one down as likely hitting at around pick 22.  The LA pick could be almost anywhere.  It is really interesting.  Looking forward to rooting for the Lakers to fail badly this season.

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Pretty much.  Both of the outcomes of the Murray trades with the Spurs and Pelicans are still so volatile.  Really depends on how we perform as a team in the next three years.  On the other side the picks from NO have potential to be very late first round picks or much better. 

Then you have Murray vs Dyson.  Murray could prove to be a high stat guy who doesn't impact winning or the spark plug NO needed at point.  Dyson could go a couple different ways as well.  

To me he needs to prove that he's not that at this point.  

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

To me he needs to prove that he's not that at this point.  

Exactly.  This could become a pronouncement on Murray that is set in stone.  If he can't elevate NO, than he could be blacklisted.  What team would want a ball dominant guy like Murray who is an inefficient bucket getter that plays average D.  

• Like 1

Hawks swapped one starter for a different starter.  This makes it an even swap.  Anything else that Atlanta received in the deal is a bonus to us.  We get younger and less $$$ payroll.  Other players and draft picks.  Great deal!

:smug:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

The LA pick has a good chance to be much better.  The double protected pick is counting on both NO and MIL falling off badly (both won 49 games last year) but not falling off so much that the second protection applies.  It is a pretty narrow window to be a "much better" pick that makes it unreasonable to expect anything but a mid to late first, imo.  I would probably mark that one down as likely hitting at around pick 22.  The LA pick could be almost anywhere.  It is really interesting.  Looking forward to rooting for the Lakers to fail badly this season.

2027 is a long ways from now.  We’re talking teams built on Giannis and Zion.  I could see it becoming closer to the middle than the end of the first round.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Exactly.  This could become a pronouncement on Murray that is set in stone.  If he can't elevate NO, than he could be blacklisted.  What team would want a ball dominant guy like Murray who is an inefficient bucket getter that plays average D.  

At worst, I don't see how he is really different than Fred Van Vleet who was obviously a target in FA.  Saying he would be blacklisted is a big stretch, imo.  He is still a 20/5/5 type of player and guys like that are going to be in demand even if they aren't as efficient as you would like.  But from an efficiency perspective I do think it is notable that he has also improved over time.  He has gone from a terrible .505% TS% in SA to .533% then .540% then .555% which has come in significant part from his improved volume and accuracy on his 3.  His .555% last season is comparable to guys like Paskal Siakam (prior to last year), CJ McCollum, FVV, and Mikhal Bridges (last season) and better than guys like Paolo Banchero, RJ Barrett, Terry Rozier, etc.  

I think the keys for him joining a more balanced NO team will be whether (a) he steps up his D playing with Jones and Murphy and others; (b) he improves his efficiency taking fewer shots next year; and (c) whether he can effectively run the offense and get others involved.  The last part is the biggest question mark for me since DM's playmaking has always been very pedestrian in my book.  I do think he is well positioned to have much improved defensive performance guarding 1's in NO and that his scoring should look even better on smaller volume with Zion and others drawing more attention than his teammates in Atlanta did (presumably leaving him more open shot opportunities and overall easier shots).

19 hours ago, Final_quest said:

2027 is a long ways from now.  We’re talking teams built on Giannis and Zion.  I could see it becoming closer to the middle than the end of the first round.

Fair enough.  I definitely see middle of the round as being possible.  I think NO is well positioned to maintain or improve their play given the age of their team.  Milwaukee in my mind has the bigger downside potential although the downsides for both teams are highly mitigated by the fact that we get the worst of those picks which means both teams have to suck for it to matter to us.  If one of them is decent, the pick isn't going to be very good.  (This doesn't mean it couldn't convert into a good player - just a matter of the average return on a pick in that range of the draft.  We don't base pick values on outliers even though we hope our lower value pick turns into Jimmy Butler or Nikola Jokic). 

The fact that the pick is 2027 also lowers its value.  We've seen how valuable the Sacramento pick has been.  This is analogous to a time value of money thing.  Having to wait that long to get help is not great when we are in a critical window the next few seasons where that pick literally cannot help the team outside of being fodder for a trade.  As the pick actually arrives, hopefully we are in a position to really take advantage of that added talent in 2028-29 but who knows where the team will be by then.

• Like 2

The Pelicans in 2027 is a huge gamble in my mind.  You are largely depending on Zion to be healthy.  Without him it's Murray, Herb Jones, and Tre Murphy, plus whatever they do with McCollum and Ingram.  McCollum and Ingram have big time questions regarding age, injury, and contract.  A lot can go wrong with this roster.

image.png.34c781901b5de1ff8027a3c9727ecfd7.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member

What hurts the Pelicans is their ownership from the start refuses to pay the luxury tax, ever. Every team in the NBA knows this. The Hawks at least pretend they might. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/17/2024 at 5:39 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Somewhat off subject Jaybird, but I usually look at Hawk squawk on my Kindle tablet, therefore the icons are very small. The picture of Zach has always looked like someone wearing a pink bunny outfit, with really big floppy pink bunny ears (kind of like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story." ). I only realized a week or two ago that it was his forearms and hands holding his cap in place.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Watchman said:

Somewhat off subject Jaybird, but I usually look at Hawk squawk on my Kindle tablet, therefore the icons are very small. The picture of Zach has always looked like someone wearing a pink bunny outfit, with really big floppy pink bunny ears (kind of like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story." ). I only realized a week or two ago that it was his forearms and hands holding his cap in place.

laughing-hysterically-dying-from-screami

Might be time for an avatar change then....incoming.

• Like 1