• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Quin’s defensive system

MarylandHawk

• Premium Member

Who is the defensive guru coach on this team? What defensive system will we run? Who will be the vocal defensive player leader on the team?  Golden State consistently finished in the top 5 defensively during their championship runs and they had undersized players almost at every position.  Steph is not known for his defense. We clearly need a defensive philosophy the team can buy into that will translate to wins. 

• Like 2

Golden State has the advantage of having a defender the quality of Green. Hawks don’t have that. Also Curry as their weakest link is still more stout than Trae. Maybe that will all change going forward but hard to rely that it will as a strategy. 

• Moderators

Trae had his best defensive year under Quin.   Bey improved tremendously.   Capela has been our defensive leader for a while but i don't think that can continue.  OO needs to step up.  Dyson and Zacc should be big improvements on the defensive end. 

I don't know about scheme.  If we start Trae/Dyson/Hunter/JJ/OO then you can switch 2-5 pretty easily.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Who is the defensive guru coach on this team? What defensive system will we run? Who will be the vocal defensive player leader on the team?  Golden State consistently finished in the top 5 defensively during their championship runs and they had undersized players almost at every position.  Steph is not known for his defense. We clearly need a defensive philosophy the team can buy into that will translate to wins. 

he doesn't have a set system. he uses what the players he has allows him. when he was in atlanta as an assistant, he implemented a defense around a very versatile and ahead-of-his time center in al horford. in utah, he played with a completely different style center, gobert, who played straight up drop center.

speaking to our current roster, OO had some quotes how he was asked to do different things 3 times since quin has been here, or something like that. quin was basically throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick. i have no idea what Xs and Os will look like this year, but i expect coach to have a much better idea of what he wants to implement. couple that with actually having at least 1 (as opposed to 0) capable POA defenders, and we should expect to see defensive improvement

Edited by therealist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

According to DJM, Quinn was willing to sacrifice defense for offense

Not sure why you took it to this level. Quinn was trying to preserve our two best offensive players energy and make the role players step up defensively which just didn’t happen.

Murray also had to hold some blame because he didn’t lock down his primary matchup at SG. He speaks as if he wasn’t out of position defensively.

Murray is a not a 1-3 defender many of us expected and he never had a good defense year in Atlanta under Nate or Quinn. The spurs fooled us and we fell for it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, therealist said:

he doesn't have a set system. he uses what the players he has allows him. when he was in atlanta as an assistant, he implemented a defense around a very versatile and ahead-of-his time center in al horford. in utah, he played with a completely different style center, gobert, who played straight up drop center.

speaking to our current roster, OO had some quotes how he was asked to do different things 3 times since quin has been here, or something like that. quin was basically throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick. i have no idea what Xs and Os will look like this year, but i expect coach to have a much better idea of what he wants to implement. couple that with actually having at least 1 (as opposed to 0) capable POA defenders, and we should expect to see defensive improvement

Throw Kobe Bufkins name in that POA list

• Like 2

The Golden State comparison's are not fair for any team.  During their championship runs, they had some of the league's best defenders in Draymond, Klay, and Iguodala as well as other solid role players and defensive guys.  As someone already pointed out, Curry is bigger than Trae and has improved greatly on the defensive side of the ball.  Back to the actual Hawks discussion, I think many on this board have already assumed we'd probably switch more 2-5 when OO is at center due to the flexibility to do so.   Look at how Boston was able to dismantle Dallas so easily in the Finals Run.  They had multiple guys that could guard Luka and Kyrie and kept switching from one quality defender to another.  If there was a guy out there that couldn't effectively guard those guys, they tried fighting through screens to keep the original defender on them or throw a double-team at them to get the ball out of their hands.  I think we'll probably see some creative strategies such as that with the Hawks.  Personnel most likely prohibited that in the past.  At least we have the personnel to do this.  Whether it translates to actual results remains to be seen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

We all know defense is the key to winning consistently and that it takes a real commitment from the coach and the team to stay locked in for 90 something nba games. I noticed no one has mentioned Dre’s name as a leader on defense. He was the number 4 overall pick who we gave up assets to get to establish a defensive focus for the future of our team. If he is on the roster come the beginning of the season, he has to become a defensive leader on this team and begin to speak up more on that side of the ball. I think his offensive game  is good enough as is if he becomes a better defender. Add DD, OO17, Zach and we may have a defensive core to work with.  But back to Quin’s system, if he doesn’t have one then someone on his staff should specialize in it. The fact that none of us really know what kind of team he wants on defense can’t bode well for the guys on the team. It seems like Landry is trying to add POA defenders on a team but there still needs to be a system everyone can function in that creates an advantage. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

The Golden State comparison's are not fair for any team.  During their championship runs, they had some of the league's best defenders in Draymond, Klay, and Iguodala as well as other solid role players and defensive guys.  As someone already pointed out, Curry is bigger than Trae and has improved greatly on the defensive side of the ball.  Back to the actual Hawks discussion, I think many on this board have already assumed we'd probably switch more 2-5 when OO is at center due to the flexibility to do so.   Look at how Boston was able to dismantle Dallas so easily in the Finals Run.  They had multiple guys that could guard Luka and Kyrie and kept switching from one quality defender to another.  If there was a guy out there that couldn't effectively guard those guys, they tried fighting through screens to keep the original defender on them or throw a double-team at them to get the ball out of their hands.  I think we'll probably see some creative strategies such as that with the Hawks.  Personnel most likely prohibited that in the past.  At least we have the personnel to do this.  Whether it translates to actual results remains to be seen. 

I agree with most of this but the GS comparisons are very fair. We have to remember that when Don Nelson coached Golden State he was trying for years to win championships with offensive teams and had drafted year after year to do so. It wasn’t until Mark Jackson came along did GS start to be held accountable on defense. Andre Iguodala was an offensive player in philly, Bogut wasn’t known for defense, Draymond was an undersized  utility guy, and Klay was a shooter with the ability to play two-way but hadn’t proven it. Steph has always been a liability as a POA defender. Kerr came along and added to what Mark Jackson did with the Bulls and San Antonio championship defensive philosophies and wala. I didn’t even mention Looney who is 6’-9” Center.  My point for referencing that team is that individually none of the players stand out but as a unit they are consistent and clearly have a system that works. 

20 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

We all know defense is the key to winning consistently and that it takes a real commitment from the coach and the team to stay locked in for 90 something nba games. I noticed no one has mentioned Dre’s name as a leader on defense. He was the number 4 overall pick who we gave up assets to get to establish a defensive focus for the future of our team. If he is on the roster come the beginning of the season, he has to become a defensive leader on this team and begin to speak up more on that side of the ball. I think his offensive game  is good enough as is if he becomes a better defender. Add DD, OO17, Zach and we may have a defensive core to work with.  But back to Quin’s system, if he doesn’t have one then someone on his staff should specialize in it. The fact that none of us really know what kind of team he wants on defense can’t bode well for the guys on the team. It seems like Landry is trying to add POA defenders on a team but there still needs to be a system everyone can function in that creates an advantage. 

That ship has sailed. Hunter can be a good defender but not a leader.

theres so much that he leaves on the floor but the biggest issue defensively is his lack of boxing out and securing a rebound. 

sure he may contest his opponents shot and make him miss a good bit throughout the game but for a front court player he’s not going to bang in the paint or go get the board despite his stature and prototype SF build that most would want especially from a big SF.

On top of that he seems to have slow reactions overall throughout his game…perhaps slow instincts is a better way of saying it. Not to mention but I personally don’t think he’s a good team defender , I’ve seen Hunter not make obvious switches and staying on his man no matter what or slow to trap and recover, these type of things is just not Hunters defensive style.

Hunter is a play you straight up type of defensive 3 and that isn’t going to work in Synder system in my opinion and last it’s going to be hard for Hunter to ever be a leader because he’s too quiet. To be a leader you must communicate.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

I think OO is actually the guy that needs to become the vocal leader on defense.  I just dont think thats who Dre will ever be, and OO should be able to quarterback in a switch heavy scheme

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I think OO is actually the guy that needs to become the vocal leader on defense.  I just dont think thats who Dre will ever be, and OO should be able to quarterback in a switch heavy scheme

Hawks have been missing so much intangibly defensively over the years.  Communication and edge has just always been sorely lacking with the starters.  Tried to patch it up with bench guys like Delon and Dyson but ideally you want that Dort-level dog in the starting unit.  Or a vet like Horford who literally yells out commands when he sees a minor slip up in the scheme.

I’m not sure how many teams that hit rock bottom in defensive rating came back to respectability under the same system and cast of characters.  You need a whole new regime bud.  Nate was a serious defensive mind but everyone knows he’s assistant level ideally.  Schlenk knew not to expect a solid defensive unit with Trae at 35 minutes, tried to move him accordingly, and got canned for it.

Meanwhile the heat build their program on defense, have people who’ve been with the organization decades, and have 7 Finals appearances in 37 seasons.  Atlanta Hawks 0 in 56.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Sad 2