• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Paris Olympics 2024

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, kg01 said:

Not sure why, in assessing USAB, everyone assumes they're gonna be bad in 4 years.  Sure they won't be able to just roll the ball out and win.  But the depth of talent in the world probably won't change dramatically. 

Plus there will probably be a couple that 'defect' to the US like Limpbiid did.

It's like people are projecting 4 years onto all the US guys but not on jokic, Bogi, Dennis, and all the other international guys.

Things will be different in '28 but they ain't likely to change much. 

I actually think the team will be better in 2028.  I know this is blasphemy in NBA circles, but Lebron and KD are both well past their primes.  Spread Lebron's usage from this Olympics to the rest of the team and I don't think we do any worse.  You just need a true PG to replace his ball dominance.  Plus, 4 years is a ton of time for guys to develop and get better and this team will already have a nice foundation with Ant, Bam, Tatum, and Booker.  I doubt AD/Embiid make it to the next one, and there are some good center replacement options available too.  I think Jarrett Allen would be a really nice FIBA center, Chet will probably be a beast in 4 years as well.

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And if he doesn't, they'll lose in 2028.

He's the best playmaker on the American side and that team will need playmakers who can score, to lead the offense.

LeBron was the cheat code, because he was the PG for this Olympic team. 

Who is the floor leader in 2028?

This is a crazy take lol... Booker/Ant, who are already on the team, could take turns running point and we would still win a gold in 2028.  But my guess is they add Brunson, who would be a nice FIBA player.  Highly doubt Ja would be added to the national team as he would be an even worse fit than Trae.  FIBA rules are not great for Trae for a number of reasons, so I doubt he'll be on any of the national teams.

• Premium Member

Erik Spoelstra the frontrunner to become Team USA's next head coach

i_22_19_97_erik-spoelstra.png?w=190

Evan Sidery: Steve Kerr is likely to retire as Team USA head coach, which means a new lead voice for 2028 in Los Angeles. Erik Spoelstra is viewed as the strong internal favorite to become Team USA’s next in line following Gregg Popovich and Kerr.

– via  esidery

@benhillboy happy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Evan Sidery: Steve Kerr is likely to retire as Team USA head coach, which means a new lead voice for 2028 in Los Angeles. Erik Spoelstra is viewed as the strong internal favorite to become Team USA’s next in line following Gregg Popovich and Kerr.

– via  esidery

@benhillboy happy

Getting rid of Hill and putting in Spoelstra as head coach would be a big improvement for Team USA, imo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er: Kerr?

I'm saying that trading out Kerr for Spoelstra is a good step but even better would be getting rid of Hill in addition to replacing Kerr with Spoelstra.  Hill should not be effectively the GM of the Olympic team.  The only reason he isn't in the crosshairs right now is that Curry and LeBron carried this team.  He failed miserably on the prior team without them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, kg01 said:

Not sure why, in assessing USAB, everyone assumes they're gonna be bad in 4 years.  Sure they won't be able to just roll the ball out and win.  But the depth of talent in the world probably won't change dramatically. 

Plus there will probably be a couple that 'defect' to the US like Limpbiid did.

It's like people are projecting 4 years onto all the US guys but not on jokic, Bogi, Dennis, and all the other international guys.

Things will be different in '28 but they ain't likely to change much. 

France will be a problem in 4 years because Wemby could be the best player on the planet and other young lotto picks like Coulibaly, Risacher and Sarr will be much more advanced.  They may be even more of a problem in 2032 though.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Packfill said:

France will be a problem in 4 years because Wemby could be the best player on the planet and other young lotto picks like Coulibaly, Risacher and Sarr will be much more advanced.  They may be even more of a problem in 2032 though.

I don't see this as a reason the US should be bad but more a reason why France could be substantially ahead of everyone that is not the US in 2028 or by 2032 as you note.  The US should always be better than nearly every other country.  France looks like they could be closing that gap considerably especially if Wemby is the best player in the world at that point.

• Premium Member

@kg01 I was able to listen to 40 seconds of Cam and AD while I was picking up lunch, but even in that limited time I was able to hear a solid gold nugget.

Allow me to paraphrase:

Apparently Dennis Schröder said that Europe is catching up to the USA because the Euro players play with more IQ.

Cam's response:   I watched the Olympics and there were plenty of examples of Euros playing with bad IQ.  For instance, Canada and Germany both showed a lack of IQ in their elimination games.

I swear to god, you can't script irony as beautifully as that played out.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

– via Twitter esidery

@benhillboy happy

Yeah I figured as much.  He’s gonna have them more cohesive for set plays, better defensive rotations, and definately more zone lol.  It ain’t gonna be easy but Spo is as thorough as they come.

I would have loved to see what Jay Wright could’ve done with NBA players.  I think Mazzula could’ve led the ‘24 Team to gold as well.

That really puts Ja, Haliburton, and Brunson in jeopardy of making the team.  Spo prefers 3&D at the PG spot, starting and backing up.  Think FIBA Dennis types who obviously aren’t as quick but stockier.  It’ll be interesting to see who emerges.

Edited by benhillboy

6 hours ago, shakes said:

@kg01 I was able to listen to 40 seconds of Cam and AD while I was picking up lunch, but even in that limited time I was able to hear a solid gold nugget.

Allow me to paraphrase:

Apparently Dennis Schröder said that Europe is catching up to the USA because the Euro players play with more IQ.

Cam's response:   I watched the Olympics and there were plenty of examples of Euros playing with bad IQ.  For instance, Canada and Germany both showed a lack of IQ in their elimination games.

I swear to god, you can't script irony as beautifully as that played out.

So I'm supposed to drop the deuces from that show to make your head blow up.

the-office-michael-scott-turntables-tabl

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't see this as a reason the US should be bad but more a reason why France could be substantially ahead of everyone that is not the US in 2028 or by 2032 as you note.  The US should always be better than nearly every other country.  France looks like they could be closing that gap considerably especially if Wemby is the best player in the world at that point.

I don't think that the USA team will be bad in 2028 or 2032, they should still have the deepest roster, but I do think the talent level of other teams is improving.  That is evident by the number of current legitimate non-US MVP candidates in the NBA -Jokic, SGA, Doncic, Giannis - and the wave of young international players who are hugely talented entering the NBA - that is evidenced mostly by Wemby and the fact that there were two French prospects drafted at the top of the 2024 draft.  There are a couple French players that could be lottery picks next year too.

13 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Who is the Ben Wallace looking dude from France and why did someone suggest we take a look at adding him?

Yabusele? He was a Celt for a while.

Edited by Spud2nique

19 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Giannis would be well within his right to pass on ‘28.  Gonna slip a few discs in his back trying to carry Greece all alone pushing 34.

I think we’ll see a slight improvement in Bogi defensively.  He was pressing up on the ball and taking tougher assignments.  Even if unsuccessful on those possessions it helps in the long run.

Edited by benhillboy

On 8/12/2024 at 8:30 AM, JeffS17 said:

FIBA rules are not great for Trae for a number of reasons, so I doubt he'll be on any of the national teams.

Dennis Schröder, Patty Mills and Bogi excel in the FIBA game, but the rules would hamper Trae?

Who can guard Trae on that level?

Bam and Trae would be a MONSTER in the pick and roll. And Trae would get more catch and shoot opportunities playing with a high level squad like that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 8/12/2024 at 12:36 PM, Packfill said:

8 years*   No one is going to "be a problem" for the USA if the team is 90% guys 24 and under.   Your 2032 estimate is a lot more reasonable.  Really depends on how the guy who is going to be drafted top 5 in 2025 pans out.  He seems to be their only shot at an elite guard.