• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Paris Olympics 2024

JayBirdHawk

27 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No Heat members though sorry. :heya:

I’m guessing you meant on Canada 🤷‍♂️ Bam is on Team USA.  And what kinda Hawks fan are you capitalizing heat anyway?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 1

I know it’s impossible but It would be cool if the USA had an old ass PG in the program for 20 years who only plays internationally since retiring from the league.  Kirk Hinrich, Jarrett Jack types.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

The sprints are different because the strategy is the same in all of them— sprint.  There are mini mind games with pacing in the middle distance races.  Sometimes teams will even have guys run out ahead and set a pace that no one can keep and force interesting psychological games.  The sprints are the same every time and theres really no head to head dynamic happening

I think you are right about the mind games since you have all the strategy around when you want to lead, when to push, etc. (which arguably is even more in play in the long distance events where you have energy conservation, drafting, etc. added in).  But 100% wrong about it not being head to head.  It is very much head to head and in a very pure sense. Like Jay said, there is usually no margin for error or ability to recover just that heat of men or women all looking to have the quickest start, the most perfect form and most powerful drive.

I watched both games yesterday. HUERTAS is pretty awesome for his age, wow. I also really like the wing #14 who had a bit of a Luis Scola feel to him with the headband and hustle.

France didn’t play all that well. They had a lot of size obviously and got bailed out a bunch by Fournier who was the best I’d seen of him including in the NBA for a long time. 

I like Brazil’s hustle. The talent lacks.

Greece 🇬🇷 didn’t look all that great to me either. Papa(something) was looking pretty good, wasn’t he the Kings pick a few drafts ago? But Giannis is just doing the same thing flying down the lane. I dunno.

Canada looked better but not great yet either. I guess it’s early on but no team was on the same page as each other yet.

I’m liking international 🏀 a bit this time around.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think you are right about the mind games since you have all the strategy around when you want to lead, when to push, etc. (which arguably is even more in play in the long distance events where you have energy conservation, drafting, etc. added in).  But 100% wrong about it not being head to head.  It is very much head to head and in a very pure sense. Like Jay said, there is usually no margin for error or ability to recover just that heat of men or women all looking to have the quickest start, the most perfect form and most powerful drive.

Im 100% wrong only if you completely ignore the essence of my opinion… it’s head to head in a pure and literal sense, for the audience primarily, but each persons result has absolutely nothing to do with the runners next to them.  

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm looking forward to this one.  Interested to see how team USA can gel now that the matches matter.  I also look forward to watching FIBA Bogi.  I hope he has a good game

• Like 2

Bad sequence by Bogi at the end of the first quarter. He was looking like Serbia’s best player when they jumped out to their big lead, but going for a fast break 3 pointer instead of holding for the last shot of the quarter lead to a fast break dunk for USA to end the quarter up 5.

As I type, Durant is going off from 3. USA is setting in.

Edited by RedDawg#8

Bogi is really good at basketball. 
Had 3 impact possessions in a row for Serbia:

Beats his defender clean off the dribble for a dump off pass against the rotation for a cutting layup.

Scores a tough tip in off his own miss amongst a crowd under the rim

Knocks down an open three to pull within a possession.

He looks like he is moving very well too. His twitch is noticeable.

Without KD the U.S. would be down. Wow. 🧁 really shines in the Olympics don’t he? Bogi had that first 3 rattle in n out but has played a pretty good game so far. He got bumped by ant 🐜 with no call but then Lebron got an AND 1 on the other end.

Jokic is 50X better than Embiid. Please nobody ever compare the two again. I don’t care about stats, Jokic is the owner of Embiid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Scores a tough tip in off his own miss amongst a crowd under the rim

That one was nice he actually got up with Jokic but I guess he out jumped Joker 🃏 nice play.

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

he is moving very well too.

Ya he looks 5-7 pounds light but tighter and more mobile. Maybe he cut out 🥩 😆 no more hangin out with Joker 🃏 😆 

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Makes me want an Olympics Durant jersey 

Hey jefe come here 🤛 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Im 100% wrong only if you completely ignore the essence of my opinion… it’s head to head in a pure and literal sense, for the audience primarily, but each persons result has absolutely nothing to do with the runners next to them.  

If you use the word in a way that it is typically not used then I agree with you.  Outside of rare and unintended situations, they don’t impact one another directly and instead the competition is based on the direct comparison of their results.

3pt Competition

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna139078 

NBA’s Steph Curry beats WNBA's Sabrina Ionescu in first head-to-head 3-point challenge

Dunk Contest

In the final, Webb went head-to-head with Wilkins -- his teammate and reigning Slam Dunk contest champion. 

Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon famously went head-to-head in 2016 in one of the greatest contests in NBA history

Etc.

The reason I would say head to head really applies is because there is no measuring stick except that of whether you beat your competitor.  Your result is only meaningful relative to how they do.  Run the 4th fastest time in the history of the sport and you might not even medal.

• Like 1