• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The problem with free agency in the current CBA

Sothron

19 hours ago, macdaddy said:

As usual isn't it the perfect system for the owners.  The handful who don't care how much they spend get to do that while the rest who just want all the money in their pockets they can get receive kickback penalties from the big spenders.  All while we pay $100+ per ticket. 

Assuming that the owner not spending more after winning 43 games and trading for Murray is the lock tight evidence that he will NEVER spend more than the tax, you guys should like the more restrictive CBA.  

We’re seeing Golden State and the Clippers cutting more salary than they ever have.  Denver cutting starters.  Boston and Minnesota are committing to spending jumps, but I think Minnesota will likely start cutting guys after this season.  

My main point is most teams spending over the tax line are staying under the second apron.  Spending up to the tax line with wisdom will put pressure on teams now more than ever.  

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We’re seeing Golden State and the Clippers cutting more salary than they ever have.  Denver cutting starters.  Boston and Minnesota are committing to spending jumps, but I think Minnesota will likely start cutting guys after this season.  

I don't see the outright cost cutting for GSW and LAC. Denver maybe.

GSW initially offered Klay a 2yr/$48 million deal, he was insulted looking for a longer term deal, ( particularly when they signed Draymondfor 4yrs/$100 mil), He decided to hit FAcy and ended up signing for 3yrs/$50 mil. Less

Clippers offered George 3yrs/$150, he was looking for an additional year, he left in FAcy for that additional year.

For Denver, last offseason, they were limited by the CBA in how much they could offer Bruce Brown...he left for a FA market that could exceed the Denver CBA offer. With KCP, they again lost to a team with more FAcy money that outright outbid. I do understand Denver avoiding the 2nd Apron if they matched the Orlando offer. 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't see the outright cost cutting for GSW and LAC. Denver maybe.

GSW initially offered Klay a 2yr/$48 million deal, he was insulted looking for a longer term deal, ( particularly when they signed Draymondfor 4yrs/$100 mil), He decided to hit FAcy and ended up signing for 3yrs/$50 mil. Less

Clippers offered George 3yrs/$150, he was looking for an additional year, he left in FAcy for that additional year.

For Denver, last offseason, they were limited by the CBA in how much they could offer Bruce Brown...he left for a FA market that could exceed the Denver CBA offer. With KCP, they again lost to a team with more FAcy money that outright outbid. I do understand Denver avoiding the 2nd Apron if they matched the Orlando offer. 

You have a lot more limitations to outspend teams to win under the new CBA.  That helps us and it’s pretty indisputable.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

You have a lot more limitations to outspend teams to win under the new CBA.  That helps us and it’s pretty indisputable.  

Whether it actually helps us depends on whether we get a lot better than we were the last two years.  Hopefully that will be the case.  This will only meaningfully help contending teams, imo.  Mediocre teams aren’t going to become contenders due to this.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Whether it actually helps us depends on whether we get a lot better than we were the last two years.  Hopefully that will be the case.  This will only meaningfully help contending teams, imo.  Mediocre teams aren’t going to become contenders due to this.

Execution on how you build will be more critical as teams are less able to outspend everyone else.  Will the Hawks be able to deliver a better team in the new environment is a different question.  Weakening current contenders is something that will help us move up the food chain, but they have to make moves that produce results.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Execution on how you build will be more critical as teams are less able to outspend everyone else.  Will the Hawks be able to deliver a better team in the new environment is a different question.  Weakening current contenders is something that will help us move up the food chain, but they have to make moves that produce results.

Agree. The moves we will make will demonstrate the impact or non-impact of the new rules on this team.