• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, David Roddy

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

He is guaranteed from what I understand. The 10/31 deadline is to pick up his option for 25-26.

Why did we not get at least a fake 2nd if this deal was about helping the Suns cut some luxury tax payments?

Or Hawks must really like this shorter PF over the one they traded. :dry:

Just a head scratcher.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

You would assume they actually see potential with Roddy in a deal like this where we take on money.  

Candidate for Hawks University aka Hawk Unaah.  

Everybody can't be in uni, sometimes we need a few graduates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

True but EJ was also a scrub.  

So a scrub for a scrub to help the Suns with no incentive for the Hawks?

Rumors floating Suns might be trying to sign Tyus Jones, not sure how credible though.

1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

I wouldn't trade Nance.  

Yeah I'd rather have him than Zeller.  Versatile big.  

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why did we not get at least a fake 2nd if this deal was about helping the Suns cut some luxury tax payments?

Or Hawks must really like this shorter PF over the one they traded. :dry:

Just a head scratcher.

Because we have a sorry GM that likes to do other teams favors.  What do I win? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Rumors floating Suns might be trying to sign Tyus Jones, not sure how credible though.

I don’t feel like I know enough about Roddy or Liddel to state with such confidence that Landry got taken advantage of “again.”  This forum was mostly convinced Sarr was a clear #1 pick and Landry was a fool for passing on him.  
The incessant need to paint any move or statement as Landry the clown is getting to be ridiculous.  These are scrubs.  He liked Roddy better.  This is a low stakes move.  Why make it an issue unless you claim to have a strong opinion about one of these guys?  
Shouldn’t we be talking about why he might like Roddy better instead?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Roddy shot the 3 poorly in limited time last year but he shot 37% in college. This is another strong body that can defend and shoot the 3. He has much more potential than Liddell who is very limited.  This is a low cost, minor improvement but with more potential.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No.  Roddy is better. Is he needle moving better? No but he is better.  

To quote Ben Shapiro, "The most reliable way to get rich is through tons and tons of micro transactions."  This is a microtransaction we win on, take advantage of another team.  We traded away a player that was unplayable (he would get abused in the NBA) for a player that can be useful in small doses.  Another 400 of these micro transactions and we'll have a Porsche.

• Thanks 2

So assess this. Is he the most athletic? NO! Is he a potential all-star? NO!  Did he finish the play and prevent the 3 point play and make him earn it at the line.....yes he did. Those little, playing the game the right way plays make a 2-3 point difference at the end of the night. I saw none of that from Liddell in the summer league. I saw some ball hogging from Liddell. I saw volume over efficiency and I saw ole' defense.

Take this another small sample from Roddy in this game vs the Clippers.  Both plays are examples of playing the right way, making an impact during your floor time. Is he Lebron? Hell no.  But can he slow a run, start a run...yes.  He plays a lot like Saddiq Bey. Poorer athleticism but with better discipline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One last thought here. The have not announced the trade yet. Technically, this could be expanded to another team to get us the 15 player line to keep Bruno. You can't combine Liddell with another player in a trade but you can simultaneous this to another team and clear up that slot.

• Like 2

For a fun summer league comparison.

Roddy shot - 45.8%, 36.7% from 3. Scored 14.8/6.4/2.4/.4/.6 (25.5 mpg)

Liddell shot - 33.3%, 21.4% from 3.  Scored 7.8/4/1/0/1.2 (18.7 mpg)

So Roddy was at least a far superior player in summer league.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, JTB said:

Dude be out here losing on trades!

I can’t deal with it!

This doesn’t bother me at all.  We won’t pick up his option, imo.  Liddell was never a keeper.  Basically a one year flier to see if we can teach a guy to throw the ball in the ocean.  Should be a break in case of emergency player at the two forward spots whereas Liddell was the same at the 4/5.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

No.  Roddy is better. Is he needle moving better? No but he is better.  

To quote Ben Shapiro, "The most reliable way to get rich is through tons and tons of micro transactions."  This is a microtransaction we win on, take advantage of another team.  We traded away a player that was unplayable (he would get abused in the NBA) for a player that can be useful in small doses.  Another 400 of these micro transactions and we'll have a Porsche.

I agree with the idea that this trade if it has any relevance is likely in our favor but you don’t get rich doing 400 or 4 million of these transactions.  You have 15 roster spots and ideally would have 15 better players/prospects than both Liddell and Roddy.  If you are doing 400 of these deals, you are just churning end of the bench guys.  But as disposable end of the bench guys go I like the hefty 6’4’’ guy who can defend some over the guy who I think will be unplayable this year.  I expect next year Roddy’s salary just expires to clear some cap space and he is never seen again (assuming we don’t trade him later this year as filler in a deal).

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree with the idea that this trade if it has any relevance is likely in our favor but you don’t get rich doing 400 or 4 million of these transactions.  You have 15 roster spots and ideally would have 15 better players/prospects than both Liddell and Roddy.  If you are doing 400 of these deals, you are just churning end of the bench guys.  But as disposable end of the bench guys go I like the hefty 6’4’’ guy who can defend some over the guy who I think will be unplayable this year.  I expect next year Roddy’s salary just expires to clear some cap space and he is never seen again (assuming we don’t trade him later this year as filler in a deal).

So the 2 unknowns of the hefty 6.45" guy in stocking feet is although not fat, he is not lean.  If I were the Hawks' staff, I'd definitely get him a nutritionist and try to make him a trim 235/240.  He'd be a lot more useful cut than hefty.  The other lesser known is he has 2 guard handles.  If he gets in premiere shape, he could see some time at the 2.  He really isn't quick enough right now to guard the 2 but if he got in premiere shape, he could be and that opens a lot of things up.

Last year, he actually saw some time at the PG spot and got destroyed on defense. But it was done both out of need and that he had the handles and passing chops to do so.  IMHO, the weight he needs to lose, Vit needs to gain.

He's very muscular but not cut.  See the following shot and see how poorly defined those arms are. They're massive but not cut.  He loses 15 lbs of the unnecessary and he could see massive improvement.  I look at those arms and all I see is a guy who loves Mountain Dew (or other bubbly yellow/amber fluid).

Interviews, he's extremely gentle, very smart. He has extremely high BBIQ (when he talks about the game it isn't just rehearsed platitudes). I think personal discipline at the dinner table could go a long way to helping him out.

NBA DFS Value Plays March 22: David Roddy Is A Top Pick For Memphis  Grizzlies On Wednesday Night | Fantasy Alarm

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

🙂 I hope you realize I was being a little facetious.  As you and I chatted offline about this. If it had been me, I would have waived Liddell to keep Bruno, tax be damned.

Edited by thecampster

• Moderators

He was one of the rare players to literally get minutes at all 5 positions.  As you point out including PG but also including center.  Most of his time was at the 3 with the 4 after that.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

He was one of the rare players to literally get minutes at all 5 positions.  As you point out including PG but also including center.  Most of his time was at the 3 with the 4 after that.

IKR?  Weird.

• Like 1