• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, David Roddy

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

🙂 I hope you realize I was being a little facetious.  As you and I chatted offline about this. If it had been me, I would have waived Liddell to keep Bruno, tax be damned.

That’s on me.  Some people have had, imo, Pollyanna takes on some of the things done by the FO.  I could see that perspective leaning into that kind of “every incremental win brings us closer to a title!” positive mindset.  I assume the Hawks are trying to figure out a move that makes sense and opens a spot and cap space for Bruno.  If we traded someone for a cheaper player, for example, we could still cut Zeller and keep him.

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

No.  Roddy is better. Is he needle moving better? No but he is better.  

To quote Ben Shapiro, "The most reliable way to get rich is through tons and tons of micro transactions."  This is a microtransaction we win on, take advantage of another team.  We traded away a player that was unplayable (he would get abused in the NBA) for a player that can be useful in small doses.  Another 400 of these micro transactions and we'll have a Porsche.

Either a Porsche or Johnny Cash’s “One Piece at a Time” Cadillac. 
IMG_9335.thumb.jpeg.00fd1a4b0570b9e847d3f2a3de498ffe.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

That’s on me.  Some people have had, imo, Pollyanna takes on some of the things done by the FO.  I could see that perspective leaning into that kind of “every incremental win brings us closer to a title!” positive mindset.  I assume the Hawks are trying to figure out a move that makes sense and opens a spot and cap space for Bruno.  If we traded someone for a cheaper player, for example, we could still cut Zeller and keep him.

Even suggesting they are upgrading scrubs is a Pollyanna take now.  Why else would they do this move?  

• Like 2

Well jump in my time machine to Feb 6th, the trade deadline and you need to add a player to make salaries work.  You tell the other team you'll add Liddell and its a net negative value to the trade. You tell them you'll add Roddy and its at least a net neutral.  That's one reason to do it.

The other is a historical lack of grinder on this team. Someone willing to commit the hard foul, dive on the floor, fight through a screen even when guarding an obvious mismatch.  He's a doesn't give up guy and a sees the floor before it happens guy. If he had Bey's talent/body with his brain he could be an allstar. Bey was a solid character guy but his situational awareness was atrocious.  Bey is the kind of player always looking for help on D and driving indiscriminately toward the hole regardless of who is guarding him. Roddy is always holding his own, giving help, shouting awareness on D. His wits keep him in plays he has no business guarding.  Have them a love child taking the best from both and he can play for me any day.

I personally feel that 2-3 years from now, David Roddy will be a solid bench player in the NBA and part of a 10 man rotation. Probably not for us.  Liddell will be dominating fools in Australia in 2 years.

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Even suggesting they are upgrading scrubs is a Pollyanna take now.  Why else would they do this move?  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So a scrub for a scrub to help the Suns with no incentive for the Hawks?

Rumors floating Suns might be trying to sign Tyus Jones, not sure how credible though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Well jump in my time machine to Feb 6th, the trade deadline and you need to add a player to make salaries work.  You tell the other team you'll add Liddell and its a net negative value to the trade. You tell them you'll add Roddy and its at least a net neutral.  That's one reason to do it.

The other is a historical lack of grinder on this team. Someone willing to commit the hard foul, dive on the floor, fight through a screen even when guarding an obvious mismatch.  He's a doesn't give up guy and a sees the floor before it happens guy. If he had Bey's talent/body with his brain he could be an allstar. Bey was a solid character guy but his situational awareness was atrocious.  Bey is the kind of player always looking for help on D and driving indiscriminately toward the hole regardless of who is guarding him. Roddy is always holding his own, giving help, shouting awareness on D. His wits keep him in plays he has no business guarding.  Have them a love child taking the best from both and he can play for me any day.

I personally feel that 2-3 years from now, David Roddy will be a solid bench player in the NBA and part of a 10 man rotation. Probably not for us.  Liddell will be dominating fools in Australia in 2 years.

I’m glad we got him.  

However, apparently Phoenix screwed us over and we should be mad at Landry again.  Me personally I don’t care if it helped Phoenix get Tyus Jones.  Durant will be asking out in 6 months.  But Phoenix could win the title and I wouldn’t care as long as Roddy is a good fit for us.  

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 5:12 PM, Spud2nique said:

Plays bigger than his height. Likes physically contact he likes to bang and get to the hole 🕳️. I think he had his career game against the clippers last year when I went to the game. Or actually 2 years ago. 

I also like to bang and get in the hole

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

"You're welcome, Phoenix!  Nah, you don't owe me anything." - Laundry 

Helping out any West team besides the Lakers  is a good thing....

Suns could keep them out of the Playoffs..

download.jpg.326676f8dec0fc9933a0e98c77bad0f3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ABH said:

I also like to bang and get in the hole

Basketball 🏀 talk is so perverse when not taken in context 😆 

Ps I also like to body dudes :heya:

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks could have used a vet backup PG, 🤔 

Good god yes! How is he still out there he’s terrific! 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Good god yes! How is he still out there he’s terrific! 

Did you miss he signed with the Suns? And the trade for Liddell helped them do it?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Did you miss he signed with the Suns? And the trade for Liddell helped them do it?

Our GM is not sharp enough to pull that deal.  

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I believe they only signed him to the minimum, which Phoenix could've done anyways without the Liddell trade.

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ah, welp, I'm assuming the Hawks are projecting that Roddy will be better than Liddell next season, so I'm going to cling on to that, lol.

• Haha 1

Hopefully Jones had already told the Hawks "no", instead of Landry helping a competitor get the FA that we were targeting... 

However, even in that worst case scenario, I honestly don't think it would've made any sense for Jones to sign with us... we literally couldn't offer him any of the things he was looking for... A starting opportunity? Nope.  A championship contender? Nope.  A big pay day? Nope.