• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I really like this squad for 2024-25

NBASupes

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm ready to dance because this team is better than last years team easily 

Time. Will tell.  This version is OK. But OK is not enough for me IMHO. "If...." This and that...we will see.  I'd like a reason to dance like @Gray Mule

OK. You get the point 😂😂

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

More like this

dCyotv.gif

Seriously though the east is up for grabs.  Yeah Boston is good but there are big questions marks all over the place.   

Lmao....I can see this 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Our Best lineups all include Bogi! There has to be 'something' to that.

Screenshot_20240927_114429_Samsung Internet.jpg

IMO, it is a combination of two things:

(1) playing Trae next to a guard with size is really important and this is not specific to Bogi but certainly Bogi is big enough to get this benefit (the same actually applies to DM);

(2) Bogi's skills are impactful in the modern NBA and next to Trae specifically.  Combine those two factors and you get some great numbers.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Our Best lineups all include Bogi! There has to be 'something' to that.

I think at least part of the 'something' is that Bogi was cooking second units with Trae (i.e getting subbed in with 5-7 minutes left in the first/third quarters.  Second units are not usually as good at picking on the poor defensive aspect of a Trae/Bogi pairing.

If I had to set our starters right now, I'd go with Trae/DD/Hunter/JJ/CC and then rotate Bogi/OO in early to get overlap with Trae.  Risacher has to come off the bench, being NBA ready is much different than being ready to start.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think at least part of the 'something' is that Bogi was cooking second units with Trae (i.e getting subbed in with 5-7 minutes left in the first/third quarters.  Second units are not usually as good at picking on the poor defensive aspect of a Trae/Bogi pairing.

If I had to set our starters right now, I'd go with Trae/DD/Hunter/JJ/CC and then rotate Bogi/OO in early to get overlap with Trae.  Risacher has to come off the bench, being NBA ready is much different than being ready to start.  

Have you seen a comparison of his +/- or impact numbers as a starter and as a reserve that would lead you think he isn't very positive as a starter?

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Have you seen a comparison of his +/- or impact numbers as a starter and as a reserve that would lead you think he isn't very positive as a starter?

No, I don't have numbers on that, not even sure how to run all those scenario analyses but just taking a guess.

• Premium Member

1 Hawks player in danger of losing starting job in 2024-25 training camp

The development of this player takes ultimate precedent.

As mentioned above, Trae Young and Jalen Johnson's spots in the Hawks' starting lineup is safe. As long as those two are healthy, they should be penciled into the starting lineup. Young could be a 30-10 machine next season now that he's back to being the heliocentric source of the team's offense, while Johnson emerged as a do-it-all highflying forward who could threaten to average 20-10 next season.

The other three spots should be determined in training camp. But the early favorite to start alongside Young in the backcourt is Dyson Daniels. Daniels was the centerpiece of the Dejounte Murray trade, and unlike Murray, Daniels is actually a legitimate lockdown defender who has the size (6'8″) to defend the opposing team's best player on a nightly basis. He also doesn't command a ton of touches, freeing up plenty of opportunity for Young to commandeer the offense.

This then leaves the small forward and center starting spots open. The Hawks' center position battle has been tricky to navigate over the past few seasons. Onyeka Okongwu has looked increasingly more ready to take over the role from Clint Capela, but Capela continues to start whenever he's healthy.

Capela, however, has been averaging fewer and fewer minutes over the past three seasons. Okongwu's minutes have been on the rise. Last year, he almost averaged the same number of minutes as Capela did (25.5 for Okongwu, 25.8 for Capela). Is this the year that Capela finally loses his grip on the starting job?

But it's not as if Capela is geriatric; he's only 30 years of age, and he continues to have plenty of synergy alongside the lob-happy Trae Young. Capela's veteran presence might give him the starting nod coming out of training camp, but don't be surprised if Okongwu takes over in the middle of the season. After all, Capela is in the final year of his contract.

This leaves De'Andre Hunter as the most likely player to lose his starting job, thanks to the presence of someone the Hawks view as a crucial part of their future.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-player-in-danger-of-losing-starting-job-in-2024-25-training-camp?recommended=1

• Like 1

• Moderators

What is the opinion on Daniels ability to play the 3?  He's listed as a PG but we're penciling him in at the 2.  He's as tall as Hunter but obviously skinnier.   

To me Trae/Bogi/DD is something i wouldn't mind seeing. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What is the opinion on Daniels ability to play the 3?  He's listed as a PG but we're penciling him in at the 2.  He's as tall as Hunter but obviously skinnier.   

I expect Daniels to get minutes there and if Quin taps him to start I'll be very excited to see that play out.  (I think that would make the most sense if Bogi is starting as well which I think would be a very promising lineup.) 

Daniels has high versatility and should see minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 this season depending on the team needs and the matchup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Per BBRef he’s logged about a 6th of his time at the 3.  I’m sure he can guard the position.  I like either high level catch and shoot (Trey Murphy) and/ or great slash (Okoro, Caleb Martin) from my 3 tho.  That ain’t DD but my hope is he’s a fine connective offensive player.  Having time alongside Joe Ingles and Nic Batum with the national team gives me confidence in that.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Per BBRef he’s logged about a 6th of his time at the 3.  I’m sure he can guard the position.  I like either high level catch and shoot (Trey Murphy) and/ or great slash (Okoro, Caleb Martin) from my 3 tho.  That ain’t DD but my hope is he’s a fine connective offensive player.  Having time alongside Joe Ingles and Nic Batum with the national team gives me confidence in that.

Bear in mind that he did that with both Brandon Ingram and Trey Murphy on the roster.  There weren't minutes available at the 3 a lot of the time in NO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AHF said:

IMO, it is a combination of two things:

(1) playing Trae next to a guard with size is really important and this is not specific to Bogi but certainly Bogi is big enough to get this benefit (the same actually applies to DM);

(2) Bogi's skills are impactful in the modern NBA and next to Trae specifically.  Combine those two factors and you get some great numbers.

Most pure shooters with good movement should work well with Trae’s super quick processing of open space and eye-blink pass releases.  See Garrison’s “breakout” season as well as Huerter’s career limbo 2 years removed.

Bogi adds the edge and competitive juice to it .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bear in mind that he did that with both Brandon Ingram and Trey Murphy on the roster.  There weren't minutes available at the 3 a lot of the time in NO.

True, I’m sure those minutes came in a pinch when one or both were out.  I appreciate the hell outta the ability to initiate like a 1, play off ball like a 2, and defend 3s, hence my Jimmy fascination that yall are tired of hearing about 😆

I think Tyreke Evans brought it to the “modern era” so to speak but he was average across the board at it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...