• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What’s our starting lineup for 24-25 season?

JTB

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Folks been trying to get rid of my man for his entire career: 

Go Hunter!!!

usatsi_18147273.jpg

Definitely want to see a career year out of him.  Time to step it up young man!

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 10/10/2024 at 10:46 AM, AHF said:

I'm fascinated to see what role Vit gets this year.

Little Vit nuggets:

- Ryan Schmidt (coach) has referenced Vit playing PG.

- JJ when asked what happens when Trae sits: Kobe and Vit are our QBs.

There is a scenario where it's one or the other game to game, depending on matchups and their play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Little Vit nuggets:

- Ryan Schmidt (coach) has referenced Vit playing PG.

- JJ when asked what happens when Trae sits: Kobe and Vit are our QBs.

There is a scenario where it's one of the other game to game, depending on matchups and their play.

If Vit can truly play PG for extended minutes, than I feel WAY better about this team than I did before.  The fact that JJ and coaches are saying this leads me to believe he can.  We know he can pass and handle, he also had 6 assists in the first preseason game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AHF said:

Definitely want to see a career year out of him.  Time to step it up young man!

If the first preseason game is any predictor we are in for a wretched year from him.

Date OPP Result MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
Tue 10/8 vsINDIND 23 2-10 20.0 0-6 0.0 0-0 0.0 3 4 0 2 4 0 4

• Moderators
Just now, theheroatl said:

If the first preseason game is any predictor we are in for a wretched year from him.

I don't care about any single game and especially don't care much about pre-season stats.  He shot like garbage in that one and put us in a huge hole but that doesn't mean he will play like that when the real games start.  If someone plays like crap in the pre-season I mostly just shrug my shoulders.  If someone has a great game, I enjoy it a lot more than I am bothered by a bad game but I also don't take that as meaning much.  I will wait until the real games are playing before judging.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

1 preaseason game? Naaa!

Despite the missed shots, I was more interested in his engagement in other areas and doing little things that affected the game despite his shooting woes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 preaseason game? Naaa!

Despite the missed shots, I was more interested in his engagement in other areas and doing little things that affected the game despite his shooting woes.

Ok are you willing to bet Dre is going to finally be Mr. Consistent this season?

Didn't think so

• Premium Member

I don't disagree.

Here are my concerns:

1.  if teams are leaving him open, he has to hit his wide open 3s at a decent clip. 

2. He thrives off ball movement and cuts for easy baskets, can Hunter and CC make enough plays to him when he does?

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 10/10/2024 at 10:36 AM, NBASupes said:

10-15 without Hunter

26-31 with Hunter 

I'd say that's marginally different but in general i agree with you that we have been better with him available.  I just think it says a lot about our roster.  But that shouldn't really be a negative on  him.  He does what he can do.  Just feels like he's trending the wrong direction under Quin.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2. He thrives off ball movement and cuts for easy baskets, can Hunter and CC make enough plays to him when he does?

Zacc and Nance can do that better, imo.  I think Dre and CC can do it some, but ZR and LN are just better suited for that role.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

10-15 without Hunter

26-31 with Hunter 

I'd say that's marginally different but in general i agree with you that we have been better with him available.  I just think it says a lot about our roster.  But that shouldn't really be a negative on  him.  He does what he can do.  Just feels like he's trending the wrong direction under Quin.  

It really isn't very different considering we had no one competent behind him.

40% without Hunter

43.9% overall 

45.6% with Hunter

That doesn't tell me much.  It is a sufficiently small sample size that only changing one loss to a win means the numbers are all basically the same (44% without / 45.1% overall / 45.6% with Hunter).

Usually if you are talking about a high impact player with zero depth behind him, I'd expect a bigger gap.

The much larger sample size is how the team performs when he is on the floor versus when he is off.  We have thousands of minutes for that instead of a handful of games and it is more apples to oranges since you aren't comparing a team that is depleted in depth versus one that isn't.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

our best chance for success is if this is our lineup by the end of the year...

Okongwu/JJ/ZR/Trae/Daniels

Bench:  Bogi/Vit/Hunter/Nance/Capela

bonus points if Buffkin plays his way into that rotation.

Buffkin's play so far this preseason has really irritated me - looking for and taking bad shots, not really playing as an effective PG at all. 

I am all for giving Vit those minutes and sending him back to CP for more seasoning.

Edited by mountainjim

I haven't seen anything out of Kobe that makes me think he should be the primary backup to Trae.  At this point and based on the current roster options, I think I'd be more comfortable with Vit as the backup PG and letting Kobe continue to develop in CP.  

9 man rotation you say? To start the season:

• Trae / Vit
  • Dyson / Bogie
  • Zacc / Dre
  • JJ / Nance
  • Clint / Nance

Once OO is healthy, he slots in behind Clint until and unless he's ready to start and then Clint is the BU.  Sorry Q, 9 don't work with this roster.  Need 10.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know i'm in the minority but i'm not sold on Vit being the primary backup PG.  He's fun because he can make some flashy plays but he can also still look like a fringe player.   Happy to be wrong on this.  

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know i'm in the minority but i'm not sold on Vit being the primary backup PG.  He's fun because he can make some flashy plays but he can also still look like a fringe player.   Happy to be wrong on this.  

In theory, he can be the quintessential "point forward"... but, which isn't the same thing. You still need someone else on the court, imo, who is also a capable ball handler and distributor. But to the degree that one of Bufkin or Daniels is on the court with him, I think that satisfies that condition. It's less, then, "being the primary backup PG," more being one part of a two-headed primary backup PG.