• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tomorrow night (Monday) Hawks play game #2, pre-season.

Gray Mule

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae will be fine. He is Trae. People talk about the ref stuff, a bad call is a bad call. But he kept at it defensively forcing a couple of turnovers. I don’t think it was the refs getting to him so much as us being down and needing a play.

Several missed shots on open shots, and then the lob game wasn’t there tonight. Drummond had us uncomfortable at the rim. We were not there tonight offensively.

I think we need to get over the ref stuff at this point.  Yeah it's a bit much, but do people not watch what literally every other player does after literally every call? That Trae gets constantly dinged for it is not evidence that he complains more than others.  Let that sink in then start to wonder why it's a true statement. 

I mean, we got bench and 2-way contract guys barking at the refs.  No t's.  Why?  But Trae chirps and it's techinal fouls and fans screaming, "tRaY nEeDs ta gRoW uP!!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shots didn't fall.

Defense looked better than last season.

Shakedown cruise.  Trying to see who fits and who doesn't.

One pre-season game or two does not a season make.

More games coming soon!

:smug:

• Like 4

Jalen is not naturally aggressive, but he’s still hard to handle, especially in transition.  Gonna be interesting to see how big of a role he can take.

I think Kobe is way better than he played last night.  

Risacher is smooth.  One of these guys who can score 24 without you noticing.  

Dyson is a legit stopper.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Jalen is not naturally aggressive, but he’s still hard to handle, especially in transition.  Gonna be interesting to see how big of a role he can take.

He's a 3rd or 4th option at best. 

Hunter might be the best 2nd option and that's a problem. Risacher is clearly probably our best 2nd option and his shot creation is iffy at this stage. 

I wish we had Ayton. This squad would be perfect for him especially since Capela is better in movement in space this year but he's worse on D as he's just not the same rim protector he used to be. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Kobe was Bronny James bad last night. I could only recall two good moments for him. It was a disaster class effort for Kobe. He's legit the reason so many guys have a negative +/- last night. 

That's what world class movement looks like. It seems effortless but it's anything but.

Dyson being a 74 on defense in 2k is criminal. He's a 90 at the least and could end up a 93-94 on D. 

Edited by NBASupes

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Kobe was Bronny James bad last night. I could only recall two good moments for him. It was a disaster class effort for Kobe. He's legit the reason so many guys have a negative +/- last night. 

That's what world class movement looks like. It seems effortless but it's anything but.

Dyson being a 74 on defense in 2k is criminal. He's a 90 at the least and could end up a 93-94 on D. 

Kobe had a bad game shooting and shot selection wise, but Kobe will be really good. We just got to be patient. He's going to be an excellent two way guard.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Definitely should show that we're not as deep as we think.  As fun as Vit and Garrison are they should still be the 10th and 11th guys.  

Our best lineup has a rookie starting that will take his lumps on D.  Kobe, Bogi, Hunter, Nance off the bench if OO is out.  We still lack frontcourt scoring in a big way and backup PG is going to be an adventure.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Kobe had a bad game shooting and shot selection wise, but Kobe will be really good. We just got to be patient. He's going to be an excellent two way guard.

I agree about the patience part but he needs to go to CP again. He's not ready to be in the rotation yet. Still a year away from the PG position and he's probably the 5th best SG on the roster behind Daniels, Bogi, Meth, and Lundy. Maybe even worse than Roddy. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

People are weirdly harsh on him.  He doesn't have 200 minutes played in the NBA yet... 15th pick... was always going to need development time and that's no different now.  He is going to get great experience this season and continue getting better.  And I'm fine is he develops on the court as the backup PG for a lot of minutes this year.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Definitely should show that we're not as deep as we think.  As fun as Vit and Garrison are they should still be the 10th and 11th guys.  

Our best lineup has a rookie starting that will take his lumps on D.  Kobe, Bogi, Hunter, Nance off the bench if OO is out.  We still lack frontcourt scoring in a big way and backup PG is going to be an adventure.  

I disagree. Matthews should be a 8th man at worst on most rosters. Vit has improved tremendously. He should be a rotation player and not a 11th man. 

Kobe should be better than he is but 

Bogi

Dre

Nance

OO is an extremely strong 6-9. Kobe should be much better than we have seen so far. He's in year 2 and he is talented. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I know you guys want to bash Hunter but we need 15/4 Hunter off the bench. We need him and Bogi playing well.

While overpaid, he is a useful player coming off the bench like you say.

Starting wings need to be two of DD, BB, and ZR.  Quin should feel free to adjust the starting lineup and rotations depending on the matchups as well.  All of our guys have strengths and weaknesses and will be more important or better matchups depending on the opponent.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't have anything against Hunter but his preseason has been a disaster.  

image.png

That's 20 minutes a game avging 3 point and 2 rebounds for a guy who's competing with the #1 pick for minutes and losing badly.  

I just hope he turns it around or something.  There were reports of him butting heads with Quin last year.  

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He's a 3rd or 4th option at best. 

Hunter might be the best 2nd option and that's a problem. Risacher is clearly probably our best 2nd option and his shot creation is iffy at this stage. 

I wish we had Ayton. This squad would be perfect for him especially since Capela is better in movement in space this year but he's worse on D as he's just not the same rim protector he used to be. 

We need Ayton or an offensive minded C who can hit a midrange J so bad.  Doesn't need to be a dominant scoring C, but just a threat.  Would open up our entire offense SO much.  That's the missing piece at this point.

• Like 3

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

People are weirdly harsh on him.  He doesn't have 200 minutes played in the NBA yet... 15th pick... was always going to need development time and that's no different now.  He is going to get great experience this season and continue getting better.  And I'm fine is he develops on the court as the backup PG for a lot of minutes this year.  

I wasn't big on him coming out of college but you are 100% right that he is basically a rookie after getting so little run last year.  All I am hoping for from him is that he plays consistent defense.  I am coming in assuming his offense will be very up and down but if he can step into the second unit and deliver good defense with better size than Trae that should give him a role he can fill.  Second unit will need to rely on a diversity of playmakers between DD, BB, JJ, Kobe, and Vit.  He won't be a "Trae" like hub offensively for the bench mob.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Then I think we need to temper our overall expectations in terms of W/L record.  This season should be viewed with a different lens.