• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tomorrow night (Monday) Hawks play game #2, pre-season.

Gray Mule

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

Anyone know what happened to Hunter in the 2nd half?  Not injured and wasn't on the bench with the team?

It was very strange.  There has to be a story behind it.  I haven't heard it, though, and am reluctant to speculate since there could be wildly different things that would explain it (including some that would be very banal and inconsequential).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Anyone know what happened to Hunter in the 2nd half?  Not injured and wasn't on the bench with the team?

If he wasn't injured, then maybe he sulked having been told he's coming off the bench to start the second half?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

What exactly would lead a person to assume the worst in a player that they've never met personally. Dunno.

From where I sit, maybe it wasn't an injury, but that he was sitting on the toilet having eaten some bad oysters earlier in the day... "well, but then why didn't they just say, 'He wasn't feeling well?'" Yeah, I can buy that. Or, how about he is going through some personal momentary crisis... maybe he has a grandmother who called to tell him some bad news about her health, and he asked to be able to spend time with her... or maybe there was some pre-arranged understanding with Quin, being a preseason game, that he could leave early for some special family circumstance.

I mean, there's any number of possible things that aren't inherently negative. We all get to live our lives predisposed toward thinking the best of others until they prove otherwise.

Or the converse is also true.

Zooming out, I watched most of it. I think one reason that game got away from the good guys is that, once we get past the big reason (ie, that everyone seemed to have an off-night offensively, and that might even be too politely stated), Hunter's defense is pretty important against a team like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, sturt said:

What exactly would lead a person to assume the worst in a player that they've never met personally. Dunno.

From where I sit, maybe it wasn't an injury, but that he was sitting on the toilet having eaten some bad oysters earlier in the day... "well, but then why didn't they just say, 'He wasn't feeling well?'" Yeah, I can buy that. Or, how about he is going through some personal momentary crisis... maybe he has a grandmother who called to tell him some bad news about her health, and he asked to be able to spend time with her... or maybe there was some pre-arranged understanding with Quin, being a preseason game, that he could leave early for some special family circumstance.

I mean, there's any number of possible things that aren't inherently negative. We all get to live our lives predisposed toward thinking the best of others until they prove otherwise.

Or the converse is also true.

Zooming out, I watched most of it. I think one reason that game got away from the good guys is that, once we get past the big reason (ie, that everyone seemed to have an off-night offensively, and that might even be too politely stated), Hunter's defense is pretty important against a team like that

It's fun to speculate though isn't it! 😅

I haven't thought too much about the DH thing, because I'm prone to overthinking and reading far to deep into stuff.  Still, it's a bit curious...that's why we're all kind of raising an eyebrow.

If he were ill, I'd think they'd say so - "I'm told Hunter wasn't feeling well and went back to the lockerroom."
If there were a personal issue - "Hunter had a personal/family matter and had to leave."
If there were an injury, even a minor one - "Hunter was complaining of <blank> in his <blank> and went to the back for evaluation." 

We worry about our guys when they're not on the sidelines and we wonder what's going on.  It's...curious that he didn't start the 2nd half and we don't have even a hint as to why.  On the other hand, he had a typically bad game...which no doubt is prompting consideration for how well he plays off the bench while also being outplayed by a rookie, who happens to be the 1st overall pick, and is fully expected to eventually nab a starting wing spot.  I'll stop short of offering an opinion on how DH feels about it, but we have enough data to speculate at least how this season is going to play out at the wings.

BTW - I'm just typing away and making some assumptions without reading everyone's comments.  Just to confirm...  I know he did not start the 2nd half.  But was he really not on the bench in the 2nd half and did we get no reports of illness, injury, personal issue, etc?

• Like 2

What to expect this season:

Some exciting, winning games.  Example - - Our 1st pre-season game.

Some games where we lose because our shots refuse to fall.  Example - - Last night's game.

Bright spot in all this:  The more these players work together and get to know how each one plays; the more wins will come our way!

We're learning how each player fits with all the other players.  We ain't there yet.  Too many new players.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he wasn't injured, then maybe he sulked having been told he's coming off the bench to start the second half?

I mean...that shoe seems to fit really well.  IJS.........

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I mean...that shoe seems to fit really well.  IJS.........

I'm ignorant. Does it? Not asking you to go back and dig out history, but is there something I wouldn't know about Hunter in that way that the rest of you do?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

My issue with Trae last night had nothing to do with the TOs.  It was more about his style of play looking a lot more like last year than last game.  He wasn't consistently coming off the ball early.  He was doing a lot of dribbling and then throwing up some heaves at the end of the clock. 

In Q's words, they have to trust each other more.  Whether than means trusting that your teammate will make the shot or trusting that your teammates will work the ball to get the best shot or even trusting that if you give the ball up early, it will work its way back to you.  I don't think we saw that as much last night as we did last week.  

We have a couple of guys, especially Jalen, that can initiate the offense and even draw defenders.  I always question why I'm not seeing Trae freed up at the end of some of these plays.  I don't know X's and O's as well as some of you - so I don't know if it's him, the offensive sets, the defense tracking him, or like...the quality of facilitation/efficiency outside of Trae.

The basic/casual in me is just like, "We need a 1B!  Trae needs his Robin!" but there has got to be a way to get him more CNS opportunities with guys like JJ and Risacher on the floor.  I even saw Daniels drive and set up guys for good shots.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

My issue with Trae last night had nothing to do with the TOs.  It was more about his style of play looking a lot more like last year than last game.  He wasn't consistently coming off the ball early.  He was doing a lot of dribbling and then throwing up some heaves at the end of the clock. 

In Q's words, they have to trust each other more.  Whether that means trusting that your teammate will make the shot or trusting that your teammates will work the ball to get the best shot or even trusting that if you give the ball up early, it will work its way back to you.  I don't think we saw that as much last night as we did last week.  

I don't disagree, he played like steaming hot garbage with his shot selection and controlling the pace and tempo of the offense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I know he did not start the 2nd half.  But was he really not on the bench in the 2nd half and did we get no reports of illness, injury, personal issue, etc?

Rowland reported no injury and Bob noted he wasn't on the bench....that's what we heard/saw. so we speculate.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think Trae was that bad.  He registered by far the highest plus minus on the team at 7, had 9 assists, and took fewer shots than Bufkin.  

And hey we've seen Trae's new shot in both games and he's 1-2 on it.  The running one leg three we can call the Pero. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

I'm ignorant. Does it? Not asking you to go back and dig out history, but is there something I wouldn't know about Hunter in that way that the rest of you do?

Sturt you're 100% correct and I honestly do appreciate you as the voice of reason.  I would most certainly spew all sorts of wild suppositions without people like you keeping it in check.  The flip side of that is...speculation into anomalies is literally what I do for a living lol.  I try to walk the fence, but it's really hard for me to not lean in a direction on this one.

It's odd/anomalous that he wasn't on the bench without some comment from the team.  You don't have to be a sleuth to start working out possibilities.  The norm is pretty straightforward.  Even just a "Hunter's fine.  He just <insert common thing they always say> and it's preseason so we're experimenting."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

... Meth ...

I just want to point out how well this rolls off the tongue.

😁

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I on't know why yall scared to say it.  He probably getting traded today. 

😏

• Haha 2