• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tomorrow night (Monday) Hawks play game #2, pre-season.

Gray Mule

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lots of 'ifs' and 'thens'.

I said we are depending on everything to go more right with every young player needing to hit their baselines more often than not. JJ with the leap, Dys and his shooting, Rook exceeding, CC being the CC of old, Vit progressing from last season, OO and Hunter staying healthy...and on and on.  Could it all happen while grasping Quin's scheme on both side of the ball? sure but I how likely it ALL falls into place? I am hoping and praying that I am wrong.

I said the same thing ! 37 hundred and two times! The "IFS" are smacking yall in the face and some think it's hating. It's not. I've already tempered my expectations so yall don't have to deal with my whining. But alas..I WILL if warranted.

On Hunter, I'm one of his biggest detractors. I've acknowledged what he should be, I'll just never believe he'll be it.  2nd team player..sign me up. Starter? Nope. It's like 4 on 5 sometimes.  Damn Dre. Still the same og. 

IMG_1199.gif

• Haha 2

I'm good with the Hunter speculation.  It's a little weird and yes there is history.  I'm not gonna dig through verified and unverified sources, but you can also pick up on negative tone, body language, etc.

If it is anything significant it will come up again.  Will remember this "nonincedent" if a future actual incident takes place.  It's just a thing that makes you go hmmm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AHF said:

It was very strange.  There has to be a story behind it.  I haven't heard it, though, and am reluctant to speculate since there could be wildly different things that would explain it (including some that would be very banal and inconsequential).

QS told him Zacch was gonna start the 2nd half and Dre got pissed and asked for a trade perhaps? lol

Nah but seriously, that was really strange.

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

I beleive Conti said before the game some guys will sit because Quinn is trying to flesh out his rotation and decide who all to keep, he has some decisions to make so he is playing some guys he needs to see.  I wouldnt get to worried about it.

Absolutely and if he had just been sitting on the bench, there would still be speculation...but we would all accept "pre-season experimentation" as a reasonable and fairly concrete answer.  The thing is, he wasn't even on the bench...  It's odd enough that he didn't play at all in the 2nd half, but to not be on the bench?  That's just extremely curious and worth a little digging.

I don't think anyone is worried.  We're just filling in the blanks with possible explanations.  I can't think of a realistic and non-contentious, reason for him not to be on the bench outside of injury, illness, or something personal - all of which are given, I want to say always, even when a non-starter is absent from the bench.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lots of 'ifs' and 'thens'.

I said we are depending on everything to go more right with every young player needing to hit their baselines more often than not. JJ with the leap, Dys and his shooting, Rook exceeding, CC being the CC of old, Vit progressing from last season, OO and Hunter staying healthy...and on and on.  Could it all happen while grasping Quin's scheme on both side of the ball? sure but I how likely it ALL falls into place? I am hoping and praying that I am wrong.

If all of that happens we will be in the ECF, way better than a 45 win team.  Also, I wouldn't say I'm personally depending on any of that, because I'm not expecting us to contend this season.  There's no reason to feel desperation with our core being this young

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can't disagree.  

On the TO from the pass to Nance.  Nance said he wasn't expecting the pass was expecting Trae to pass out to the wings.  Trae said he told him No...go to the rim and if you are open, I'll find you, so be ready.  Those are things that happen as guys learn each other's tendencies.

I'm glad Trae said this....... Now I'm expecting to see improvement in the turnover department when the real games start..........

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You have them pegged at 45 wins, right?  I think others have already put a stake in the ground at 48 wins.  

I have the highest variance for sure. 

30 wins floor

60 wins ceiling

What would turn this team into a contender is getting a starting center who's pretty good. Capela is good but he's not the impact player be once was. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm intrigued enough that, for the first time in a long time, think I'm going to make a W/L prediction... hey, I'm a Cowboys fan... I need distraction right now more than ever. 😉

But I need to see more.

I think... or I'd like to think... what was seen last night represents something close to a floor for this group.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm ignorant. Does it? Not asking you to go back and dig out history, but is there something I wouldn't know about Hunter in that way that the rest of you do?

I mean no player is happy when you draft their replacement.. JC knew the writing was on the wall when we drafted JJ.. Dre knows it too..with Risacher....

Just sayin.. lol

• Like 2

Just now, terrell said:

I mean no player is happy when you draft their replacement.. JC knew the writing was on the wall when we drafted JJ.. Dre knows it too..with Risacher....

Just sayin.. lol

I don't see Risacher as Dre replacement. Dre always needed to move to the bench once Bey proved that as long as you have a movement player in the lineup even if he shoots poorly, he adds value and Dre impact was better off the bench

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Risacher as Dre replacement. Dre always needed to move to the bench once Bey proved that as long as you have a movement player in the lineup even if he shoots poorly, he adds value and Dre impact was better off the bench

DRe has always been the starting SF since he was drafted.. Thats all Im sayin.. WE all want him coming off the bench... Well most of us.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Risacher as Dre replacement. Dre always needed to move to the bench

so if Hunter is moving to the bench and Zacc sarts at SF - isn't that a direct replacement. He's taking his spot as the starting SF which he has held since being drafted.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You have them pegged at 45 wins, right?  I think others have already put a stake in the ground at 48 wins.  

I say 41 wins max.. Fighting for a Playin spot...

Anything more then .500 is gravy...

This is pretty much a development year for me....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Wouldn't read much of anything at all in preseason rotations. These are basically practice games, with no insight on what Quinn is wanting to practice it's pointless to speculate. 

I will say odds that Hawks are a contender are pretty slim. The east is STACKED. Most likely scenario is we are fighting for that playin spot again, and I'm ok with that as long as we see some growth from the young players,  Trae and Quinn start orchestrating the offense more efficiently and defense begins trending in the correct direction. 

At the very least it should be a more interesting season then the last couple with so many new young faces cracking the rotation.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

so if Hunter is moving to the bench and Zacc sarts at SF - isn't that a direct replacement. He's taking his spot as the starting SF which he has held since being drafted.

And if Dre is coming off the bench for 22-25 mins, then he is really starting to be overpaid. He is making like 5 mil more than Bogi. So yea, if he loses his spot and minutes to a mix of ZR and Dyson Daniels, he is getting replaced. And that's not a bad thing. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

At this point I'm not concerned with Hunter's salary as a bench player, it is what it is......we once had a $20 mil Gallo coming off the bench and it worked. I want the rotations maximized to give us the best of offense and defense.

Same, he also gets easier to trade next year as he will only have 2 years left and increased salary cap.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

We remember Trae's first 20 games of his rookie season differently

I don't feel like Trae's rookie season is even a little bit relevant as far as what to expect from him this year.  Not even a little.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae was averaging 15 & 7 during his terrible rookie stretch. Shooting efficiency was bad, but he was still making plays for others. He had far less talent on the receiving end of many of those plays.

But to @RedDawg#8's point, those first 20 games or so actually sold me on him.  The shooting was really rough but I saw a passer who was gifted enough that I was on board even with the rough start.  Also...

The team was better over the first 20 games of Trae's rookie season when Trae was playing than when he wasn't.

From a number's perspective, the team was 14 points better over those 20 games with Trae on the floor than they were when he was off the floor so even his "unworldly bad" rookie first 20 games the team was better with him playing than they were without him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1