• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tomorrow night (Monday) Hawks play game #2, pre-season.

Gray Mule

• Moderators
8 hours ago, AHF said:

Some of my issues with that rotation being better or the same without Hunter:

• Two of those guys need to be starters so you aren't talking depth with them.
  • 3 of them (Dyson 22 missed games per season, Bogi 20 missed games per season, and Kobe lots of injuries career to date) have missed significant time in the past due to injury and should be viewed as significant risks to miss time.
  • Risacher is a rookie which often means hitting a wall during their first season.
  • Vit and Garrison were utterly inadequate to fill in last year which is why we were a disaster when Hunter was missing.  I like them much better as either low minute rotation players (which I see for Vit but not Mathews) or guys who are not part of the rotation but can fill in when someone is out.  If we are counting on them for major rotation roles, that makes me very, very nervous.  The league obviously views them that way given how we much of each player's contract is unguaranteed and I think that is the smarter way to view them as well.  I like Roddy for end of the bench depth but not for rotation minutes.  He was making the best of a bad part of the DM trade (taking Liddel's bad contract).
  • None of them can give minutes at PF other than possibly 6'4'' Roddy and our PF rotation needs Hunter when JJ is out.  And JJ is another known injury risk.

To me, it is obvious that the team is better with Hunter than without him and we already shifted return in the DM trade to the future by focusing much of the return on the LA pick.  I think there is a point where continuing to defer production this season for a possible brighter future breaks and you lose Trae in the process.  If you lose Trae, I view this team as starting over without their own pick.

Injury gods why do you do this to us?

This is why I keep saying depth is really important to this team for success this season.  Vit - Your number is already called.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Injury gods why do you do this to us?

This is why I keep saying depth is really important to this team for success this season.  Vit - Your number is already called.

Even now very few players get paid $23M to come off the bench.  Go through the list of highest paid players.  It’s like 1-3 guys getting paid Dre money without starting.  

Good reason why you don’t pay bench players like that.  Bogi is actually one of the highest paid 6th men in the league, We want to have two of the top 5 highest paid bench guys?  I say no.  

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Even now very few players get paid $23M to come off the bench.  Go through the list of highest paid players.  It’s like 1-3 guys getting paid Dre money without starting.  

Good reason why you don’t pay bench players like that.  Bogi is actually one of the highest paid 6th men in the league, We want to have two of the top 5 highest paid bench guys?  I say no.  

Risk your franchise player because you want to dump Dre rather than work out a trade for value?  Even when you won’t have real money to spend in FA and the common pattern among middle tier UFAs is they get overpaid?  This feels like a Zoolander strategy.  I need to ask Cotton how this is going to work out.

Keep Hunter until you can trade him for value (along with other assets potentially).  We are already down one rotation player and need the depth.  There is a real lack of big wings out there.  You’ll find a taker.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AHF said:

Risk your franchise player because you want to dump Dre rather than work out a trade for value?  Even when you won’t have real money to spend in FA and the common pattern among middle tier UFAs is they get overpaid?  This feels like a Zoolander strategy.  I need to ask Cotton how this is going to work out.

Keep Hunter until you can trade him for value (along with other assets potentially).  We are already down one rotation player and need the depth.  There is a real lack of big wings out there.  You’ll find a taker.

Trading Hunter for value is quite a relative proposition when he’s overpaid by so much.  I would argue trading him for zero return is value.  You’re minimizing the risk of losing a player because we overpaid half the roster and have less capacity to bring in talent.  
Two sides to the risk, but I’m inclined to err on the side where Hunter is gone even as a “salary dump”.