• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Preseason Game Thread 3: Hawks at heat

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He makes an impact and he plays hard

In my experience, this is true.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

He's a contributor and I actually don't mind his salary.  Maybe I just want more from him.

In my experience, this is also true.

I do ask a lot, though. I still vividly remember the DH coming out of UVA, who clearly could take games over on both ends of the floor with some degree of consistency. NBA is a tougher night-in-night-out grind. But even though we're this far down the road, I'm still hard pressed to dispense with the vision of what I expected him to be. I genuinely believe, now being indisputably mid-career, he can be a significant piece of a championship team. It's really plausible in my mind.

• Like 2

Just a reminder that we have yet to play a game with all of our top 7 rotation players. Last night we sat Bogi, Dre, OO and ZR, and were forced to play Geuye heavy minutes at Center after Capela got hurt. Not to mention Miami likes to junk up the game on both ends. It’s a very difficult evaluation of our team.

We probably sit out even more players tonight since it’s a B2B, so we may be another week away from getting a true idea of our full squad together.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Definitely believe Hunter has been mentally different since Quin got here and I'm just guessing that Quin is pushing him hard.  Which at Hunter's age is difficult.  Hunter sure has been pressing in preseason and it's not been pretty but maybe it's a good sign.  

• Like 2

Heat announcers last night.  How could I tell?  One called Gueye - Guy.  In the 3rd quarter, with our G League players facing their starters, they were so pleased with the scoring!  

Last night, one Hawk starter, Hunter, didn't dress out.  Another starter, Capela, was injured shortly after tip-off.  Two of our main subs didn't dress out.  Zacch and Bogie were both missing the entire game.

Yet, despite all this, Hawks had a halftime lead over the mighty Heat and all their 1st string!  Finally, end of the 3rd quarter, the Heat pulled their starting five.  Hawks then, in the 4th quarter, cut their lead by about 15 points.

Out of town again tonight, different time, different place.  Then we're off until the regular season opens.  Still working, still figuring out who can do what and who fits with who.  

So far, I like what I see.  But what do I know?  My goal?  47 wins!

GO ATL HAWKS!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Just a reminder that we have yet to play a game with all of our top 7 rotation players. Last night we sat Bogi, Dre, OO and ZR, and were forced to play Geuye heavy minutes at Center after Capela got hurt. Not to mention Miami likes to junk up the game on both ends. It’s a very difficult evaluation of our team.

We probably sit out even more players tonight since it’s a B2B, so we may be another week away from getting a true idea of our full squad together.

Exactly.  We've had some really encouraging play for most of the preseason.  Jalen was nuts last night.  If he can become a threat to hit 4 threes in a half that is great news.  The entire team catching fire from three was a good sign.  Risacher and Dyson were the two main unknown guys we were hoping to make impact and they look ahead of schedule.

Biggest bummer of preseason is Kobe.  I'm not gonna write him off just yet, way too soon. 

• Thanks 1