• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Supes Roster Idea: Dennis Smith Jr. should replace Cody Zeller when he's eventually cut or traded

NBASupes

It's clear Kobe is struggling and he might be the 4th best PG on this roster behind Trae, Vit, and Keaton. At SG, he's the 5th best behind Dyson, Bogi, Meth, and Big Bodi. His preseason +/- is right there with Sarr, Poole, and Bronny. At lease Sarr and Poole excuse is Washington sucks but Bronny and Kobe have been really killing their teams when they are on the floor and it's mainly them. 

Enter Dennis Smith Jr. He ended up with a -1.2 offensive RAPTOR which isn't good for a backup PG but it's not awful and ended up with a +1.8 defensive RAPTOR which is excellent for any PG and a total RAPTOR of +0.5 which is good and a WAR of 1.8 which would have qualified for 7th best on last year's Hawks squad. 

Dennis Smith Jr is a lockdown defender (1:1 STL/TO) and a talented playmaker (3:1 AST/TO). He's an amazing POA defender, reads passing lanes like a hawk, sets up teammates for easy looks, puts pressure on the rim, and is a legit lob threat at 6'2. I do have to clarify that he is a horrible shooter (29.4% from 3, 74.1% from the FT line), but I believe the Hawks have enough shooting on 2nd unit of this team, and would benefit from a playmaker who can create looks for them. He's also such an incredible guard defender that I'm willing to ignore his shooting woes.

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's clear Kobe is struggling and he might be the 4th best PG on this roster behind Trae, Vit, and Keaton. At SG, he's the 5th best behind Dyson, Bogi, Meth, and Big Bodi. His preseason +/- is right there with Sarr, Poole, and Bronny. At lease Sarr and Poole excuse is Washington sucks but Bronny and Kobe have been really killing their teams when they are on the floor and it's mainly them. 

Enter Dennis Smith Jr. He ended up with a -1.2 offensive RAPTOR which isn't good for a backup PG but it's not awful and ended up with a +1.8 defensive RAPTOR which is excellent for any PG and a total RAPTOR of +0.5 which is good and a WAR of 1.8 which would have qualified for 7th best on last year's Hawks squad. 

Dennis Smith Jr is a lockdown defender (1:1 STL/TO) and a talented playmaker (3:1 AST/TO). He's an amazing POA defender, reads passing lanes like a hawk, sets up teammates for easy looks, puts pressure on the rim, and is a legit lob threat at 6'2. I do have to clarify that he is a horrible shooter (29.4% from 3, 74.1% from the FT line), but I believe the Hawks have enough shooting on 2nd unit of this team, and would benefit from a playmaker who can create looks for them. He's also such an incredible guard defender that I'm willing to ignore his shooting woes.

I read this as if the move already happened. Dang

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

My two relatively-uninformed cents...

This isn't a head coach that's going to extend his rotation like that, based on history. And he's not exactly odd in that way. Not a lot of HCs are going to give regular minutes beyond the first 9 players. Dennis Smith Jr. isn't going to crack that rotation any more than Keaton Wallace would.

More conventionally, I'm subscribing to @JayBirdHawk's theory that Zeller gets cut, and as soon as the math works, Barlow becomes your official 15th man on a real contract (... that would explain why a player so otherwise well-regarded ultimately signed with ATL... the assurance that he is in-line for that opportunity).

But too, it makes sense that they're holding on to Zeller for the moment in case his salary is helpful to facilitate some unanticipated larger trade... but which I'm inclined to think will only occur in the event that some established contender loses a key piece to injury and gets desperate to make a very appealing offer.

In the meantime, I think the approach almost has to be that Vit and DD will be a two-headed back-up PG unless/until Kobe forces himself into the rotation. Based on what I'm reading from youzguys more so than on my own limited observation, that doesn't appear to be imminent.

• Like 2

Yeah I can’t stomach Smith Jr and I’m partial to defensive PGs.  His offensive game would drag down Jokic despite his recent improved assist to turn over his career.  

Give up all types of draft capital for a failed experiment and  two of your actual last 3 first round picks are out of the league and in danger of being absent from the rotation.  Sh!t Landry.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

But too, it makes sense that they're holding on to Zeller for the moment in case his salary is helpful to facilitate some unanticipated larger trade...

Zeller is traded eligible Dec 15th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• AHF changed the title to Supes Roster Idea: Dennis Smith Jr. should replace Cody Zeller when he's eventually cut or traded
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, sturt said:

But too, it makes sense that they're holding on to Zeller for the moment in case his salary is helpful to facilitate some unanticipated larger trade...

Or maybe someone gets desperate for help in the middle.  I'm taking calls from the Bayou.  

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Or maybe someone gets desperate for help in the middle.

Nah. Looks like TOR is leaning toward a wing for their last roster slot... meaning... of course... Bruno's available.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Nah. Looks like TOR is leaning toward a wing for their last roster slot... meaning... of course... Bruno's available.

I'm talking about the team that is going to be starting an injury prone 6'6'' forward at the center position.  Maybe they get really desperate?  More etouffee Zion? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm talking about the team that is going to be starting an injury prone 6'6'' forward at the center position.  Maybe they get really desperate?  More etouffee Zion? 

Yeah, I got that, but my agenda is to be a Bruno promoter at every possible opportunity. Even now. Maybe especially now. 🙂

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Yeah, I got that, but my agenda is to be a Bruno promoter at every possible opportunity. Even now. Maybe especially now. 🙂

Hate that Schlenk outplayed us and forced us to cut him.