• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson signs rookie extension, 5yrs/$150 million

JayBirdHawk

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to Jalen Johnson signs rookie extension, 5yr/$150 million
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Overpaid by 20 million. Let's see how JJ reacts to this. Is he going to go up, down, and stay in the realm which will continue to make him overpaid. 

He's still a tradable contract if he plateaus as the player we saw last year.

image.png.b36968d6f52cfa95c49fafa1403d0502.png

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No it's not. 

If Jalen Green is making $35 mill AAV on his extension, I think we did good getting Jalen at $30 million AAV on his extension. 

All he needs to do is continue improving and stay healthy, and it'll be a good contract.

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

If Jalen Green is making $35 mill AAV on his extension, I think we did good getting Jalen at $30 million AAV on his extension. 

All he needs to do is continue improving and stay healthy, and it'll be a good contract.

Just because Houston did something stupid don't mean we get a pass to do something just as stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Overpaid by 20 million. Let's see how JJ reacts to this. Is he going to go up, down, and stay in the realm which will continue to make him overpaid. 

When you say by $20 million are you saying per year or total contract because $ 4 million a year isn't that big of a deal with how much the CBA will be going up over the next few years. 

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Just because Houston did something stupid don't mean we get a pass to do something just as stupid. 

What is starter money nowadays?  You compare to the market, not what we "want".

• Like 1

Just now, marco102 said:

When you say by $20 million are you saying per year or total contract because $ 4 million a year isn't that big of a deal with how much the CBA will be going up over the next few years. 

I think 20 million is pretty massive. When you are overpaid or underpaid by 3-5 million, that makes sense but 15-20 million. Fire your agent or fire your GM. This is a reach. Could it pay off, sure? But what if it doesn't. Iso Joe was overpaid by 20 million and he caught hell for it from the fanbase once he wasn't delivering to their new expectations. 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think 20 million is pretty massive. When you are overpaid or underpaid by 3-5 million, that makes sense but 15-20 million. Fire your agent or fire your GM. This is a reach. Could it pay off, sure? But what if it doesn't. Iso Joe was overpaid by 20 million and he caught hell for it from the fanbase once he wasn't delivering to their new expectations. 

I'd get you if we gave him the Max. But $30 million in the league right now is above average starter money. 

• Like 4

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to Jalen Johnson signs rookie extension, 5yrs/$150 million
7 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I'd get you if we gave him the Max. But $30 million in the league right now is above average starter money. 

If you gave him the max, everyone in your organization didn't learn shit from the Murray/SA trade and how not to be full-blown dumbasses. 

I don't see that range as an above-average starter. I see it as a high-end starter, or broader-line All-Star. JJ is solid starter material. I still don't see what he does that so special for winning Basketball as a 4 man. He lacks defensive versatility, can't really shoot, can't really score, the only thing that's special is transition offense. I don't see what's going to get this guy to that Millsap level. That's the level this salary range is. He's in the solid starter, high-end role-player range. He's basically an elite transition player who switches extremely well on D. If he was 7ft with a 7'5 wingspan, I can see the value of overpaying for that but at his height and size, naw. 

Edited by NBASupes

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yes, but $20 million under that CBA was like 20% of the cap or something ridiculous.  We can't go back in terms of old money with this new salary cap.  $ 4 million a year is less than 3% of the total cap this season.  The cap is estimated to go up at least 10% per year over the next few years.

There's not that big of a difference in terms of the cap in what you are talking about.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member

30 million is a good deal for him when folks like Jalen Suggs are asking for the same lol

We got a future all star for less than a max, lets go!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If you gave him the max, everyone in your organization didn't learn shit from the Murray/SA trade and how not to be full-blown dumbasses. 

If we held strong at 5/130 and he passed on it, and has a breakout season he's getting the max.  Risk was worth it IMO.

Even if it's not a breakout season, just a slight improvement from last year he would probably get the max.

I see very little chance that his price goes DOWN after this year unless he had a major injury.  

• Like 1