• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson signs rookie extension, 5yrs/$150 million

JayBirdHawk

7 minutes ago, akay said:

30 million is a good deal for him when folks like Jalen Suggs are asking for the same lol

We got a future all star for less than a max, lets go!

Suggs showed high-end starter potential last year. JJ didn't. I don't see this comparison. This is like when you guys bring up Franz against JJ when Franz is miles better for winning Basketball. 

Jalen Green is a massive overpay. I can see you using him as a case study. 

This is fine. I agree that it is slightly above his value today, but unlike JC and Dre, JJ is 22 at the time of signing, which is younger than both of them. His upside is still far more projectable versus theirs which was a bit more defined at that time.

In other words, we saw their best by the time of extension. Jalen has yet to have his best season ever. Is that a 20/10 season? Maybe, very likely.

The market is out of whack in todays NBA, but his deal is closer to his value than a lot of the other deals we see. 

8 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

If we held strong at 5/130 and he passed on it, and has a breakout season he's getting the max.  Risk was worth it IMO.

Even if it's not a breakout season, just a slight improvement from last year he would probably get the max.

I see very little chance that his price goes DOWN after this year unless he had a major injury.  

We'll see, I hope I am wrong

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

When you say by $20 million are you saying per year or total contract because $ 4 million a year isn't that big of a deal with how much the CBA will be going up over the next few years. 

What is starter money nowadays?  You compare to the market, not what we "want".

11 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yes, but $20 million under that CBA was like 20% of the cap or something ridiculous.  We can't go back in terms of old money with this new salary cap.  $ 4 million a year is less than 3% of the total cap this season.  The cap is estimated to go up at least 10% per year over the next few years.

There's not that big of a difference in terms of the cap in what you are talking about.   

CBA = Salary Cap - I'm working (rofl)

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Suggs showed high-end starter potential last year. JJ didn't. I don't see this comparison. This is like when you guys bring up Franz against JJ when Franz is miles better for winning Basketball. 

Jalen Green is a massive overpay. I can see you using him as a case study. 

Was Suggs that good last year? Felt like he was closer to a high end bench player than high level starter but I could be wrong. 

He shot way better but doesn't really pop out stat wise- maybe his defense carrying?

Jalen Green is soooo overpaid, Houston is in a pickle with him - curious about their future considering how much money they have tied up in a player who likely isn't gonna live up to the contract

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I do think it's a slight over pay, but not by much.  Hopefully, he continues to improve his half court offense.  I think he's going to make a leap defensively this year with Riz and Dyson.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is a nice deal.  I am glad we did a 5 year deal for this-- JJ under team control for at least 5 more seasons as of today (I'm guessing that final year is a player option).

For those that think he's overpaid, if we're stretching this over 5 years with 5% annual increases, this deal will start at <18% of the cap.  That's a nice deal.  For reference, Dre and Capela are 15-16% of the cap space this year.  JJ is going to be paid only a little higher than those two.  This is a nice deal with potential to age like fine wine.

Doesn't he qualify for 8% raises since he signed with the same team? I wasn't sure if the new CBA changed that. 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For the first time in your life, trust me hotSupes.  This will be a fine deal.

But I agree folks need to stop worrying about what Hunter is paid. 

1 minute ago, akay said:

Willing to bet within a year he looks underpaid on this contract, calling him overpaid when he's gonna be taking up 20ish% of the cap as a high level starter is going a bit far I feel.

At worst I think this will be market value for players like him

Just needs to stay healthy. 

• Like 4

Just now, akay said:

Was Suggs that good last year? Felt like he was closer to a high end bench player than high level starter but I could be wrong. 

He shot way better but doesn't really pop out stat wise- maybe his defense carrying?

Jalen Green is soooo overpaid, Houston is in a pickle with him - curious about their future considering how much money they have tied up in a player who likely isn't gonna live up to the contract

Yeah, Suggs was pretty darn good last year. He was key in Orlando's success with Franz and JI.  

In previous years, I would agree but not last year, he took a major leap. Similar leap we saw from Kyle Lowry and Chauncey Billups when they finally figured it out. 

Suggs is a special defensive player. He basically replaced what Lonzo Ball was for Chicago till the injuries capped his career. 

Massively, I knew they would have to overpay him for his Jordan Crawford, hot month. Of course, it's a bad move but this is what happens when you use so much draft capital on a guy. You feel indebted. 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is a nice deal.  I am glad we did a 5 year deal for this-- JJ under team control for at least 5 more seasons as of today (I'm guessing that final year is a player option).

For those that think he's overpaid, if we're stretching this over 5 years with 5% annual increases, this deal will start at <18% of the cap.  That's a nice deal.  For reference, Dre and Capela are 15-16% of the cap space this year.  JJ is going to be paid only a little higher than those two.  This is a nice deal with potential to age like fine wine.

To add to this, depending on how the deal is structured, we could be looking at JJ making just 13% of our usable space up to the luxury floor next season.  That leaves a lot of room to work with to fill out the roster beyond Trae/JJ.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Doesn't he qualify for 8% raises since he signed with the same team? I wasn't sure if the new CBA changed that. 

Ah, you're right, I was thinking 3%/5% but it's 5%/8%.  This means his starting salary could be even lower, meaning taking up even less of the cap space next year (~16.5%).  No matter how you cut it, this is nice signing for the Hawks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yeah, Suggs was pretty darn good last year. He was key in Orlando's success with Franz and JI.  

In previous years, I would agree but not last year, he took a major leap. Similar leap we saw from Kyle Lowry and Chauncey Billups when they finally figured it out. 

Suggs is a special defensive player. He basically replaced what Lonzo Ball was for Chicago till the injuries capped his career. 

Massively, I knew they would have to overpay him for his Jordan Crawford, hot month. Of course, it's a bad move but this is what happens when you use so much draft capital on a guy. You feel indebted. 

Agree Suggs was key for them.  But I think there will be buyers remorse there.  Folks are gonna be asking why they're paying so much for a fairly limited player on O.

Definitely impactful, but they're making that transition to paying a LOT for a team that 'could' level off a bit. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Mobley/Cade/Franz/Scottie Barnes/ = 5/224 mil (44.8 per)

Sengun = 5/185 (37 per)

Jalen Green = 3/106 (35 per)

JJ/Suggs = 5/150 (30 per)

Trey Murphy = 4/112 (28 per)

I think JJ is right about where you would have him compared to his peers who extended this summer.

Cade and Jalen Green are overpaid imo

• Like 3

I will repeat this again, teams will want to trade for Jalen's contract if at worst he is the player he was last year throughout the duration of the deal. We got him on a fair deal for all sides.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2