• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson signs rookie extension, 5yrs/$150 million

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

As a fan, I wouldn’t have minded letting this play out and signing him next offseason.  We need JJ healthy and continuing to improve.  I’m confident in the second part of that.  If he gets hurt this year, this will be a significant overpay.  So there is some upside if he is healthy (ie he might have gotten more next offseason if he plays 75+ games and improves on last year) and some downside if he misses another 25 games or so and/or doesn’t.  Like I said, I like him to improve.  I’m hopeful he’ll be healthy.

What is locked in is the higher  salary than his cap hold so the theoretical cap room available is roughly $15M lower next offseason than it would have been if we waited.  

Definitely not all bad.  For JJ, this is life changing money so I 100% get why he would want to lock this in.  Sets him for life as long as he isn’t recklessly irrespective irresponsible.  I also want JJ here for a long time so this locks him up and I get to look forward to that (although to be fair I don’t think that was really at risk.)

It doesn’t look like a bad deal compared to others from his draft class.  

• Like 1

Well deserved contract for those hating and comparing him to Dre and Collins , he’s already better than they ever were and I like both Dre and  Collins. This is a steal for the Hawks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 909 said:

Well deserved contract for those hating and comparing him to Dre and Collins , he’s already better than they ever were and I like both Dre and  Collins. This is a steal for the Hawks.

Dre, yeah but JC at his peak. Naw. He's does more for winning hoops but he's not as good as RS JC yet. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

From a source: deal is flat 30 million over 5 seasons, no options

If that is the case, we will have $17M less money available next offseason.  Pretty much takes us out as significant players in FA if we were ever really thinking about that.

As an aside, I’m higher on him than I was on JC and DH so I am not comparing those guys or lumping them together.

• Premium Member

Dunno. That sounds like a very team friendly deal if we believe the trajectory of the salary cap is anything similar for the next 5 years what it has been for the previous 5 non-covid years. Very, very.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 909 said:

Only question with JJ is availability.

If we can get 75+ games out of him, that would be lovely.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Next question... one that's already been asked in a variety of ways, but now seems only natural to get still more serious about it...

1. DJM gets big money.

2. Significant salary gets sliced off the spreadsheet.

3. JJ gets big money.

4. Will it be a one-off, or will it be a clearly emergent pattern?