• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stephen Jackson Eyes Free Agency

jaywalker72

Stephen Jackson sat down with Jason Walker and discussed his pending free agency, and talks about the length and size of the contract he would like, as well as whether Atlanta is a possible destination for him.

----------------------------------------------------

AS the Hawks were putting the finishing touches on another lottery busting performance, their 8th in 17 games, a 129-107 thrashing of the New Jersey Nets, Stephen Jackson was finishing another of his 20+ point performances, something that’s become sort of average over the final 41 games of this season.

Jackson has averaged over 22 points per game for the Hawks over that span, and has been one of the main catalysts of the teams fresh, exciting, and recently, winning brand of basketball. Jackson has also quietly moved into the Top 6 in steals on the year, an indicator of his effort on both ends of the floor.

But what happens to the free agent to be this offseason, after a year which saw career highs in almost every category for the 26 year old forward?

Last season, after completing a championship year with the San Antonio Spurs, Jackson sought a long term deal, and found only one, a 3 year, 10 million dollar offer from the Spurs soon after the season was over. Jackson balked, wanting to look around the league, but the Spurs soon took the offer off the table and Jackson was left to twist in the free agency wind until the Hawks signed him to his 1 year, 1 million dollar deal as the season approached.

“Last summer was a brutal summer,” remembers Jackson, who chose the Hawks because of his friendship with Jason Terry and for the opportunity to play. “But it all paid off. I don’t regret signing here, I don’t regret coming here, and I think it was the best thing for me.”

Jackson’s one year gamble with the Hawks (if he had gotten hurt, he had a player option on next season) has certainly paid off as he has received the national attention commensurate with his lofty second half production.

“I think I proved a lot of people wrong who said that I wasn’t going to be anything without Tim Duncan,” laughs Jackson. “They said that I couldn’t play without a key player. But I came here, my teammates and my coach had confidence in me and I knew what I could do, I just had to be in a situation where I could do it. I came here and gave it 110% and had a great year.”

What that great year has done for Jackson’s potential earnings remains to be seen, but Jackson will definitely make the most of this opportunity, likely the one and only time he will be able to sign a long term deal.

“A lot of people (in this league) haven’t been through the ups and downs that I’ve been through,” explains Jackson, who has had to play in professional leagues all over the globe before landing with the Spurs last year. “A lot of people know I went through hell and back trying to get to this point where I am now, so I’d be a fool not to take advantage of it.”

So what is Jackson looking for?

What about length of contract?

“Whatever I am able to get, really. Six (years) would be good, I’m just going to try and get some security and be able to take care of my family and friends.”

What about the per year average dollars of the deal?

“I can’t really say number-wise, but they know what’s fair and they know what I deserve and I think everyone across the league knows that, so whoever treats me the way I want to be treated and comes with the fairest deal, that’ll be fine.”

Few teams will be under the cap next season, but everyone will have the Mid Level Exception (MLE), which is expected to be around 4.5 million, to offer Jackson, meaning that an offer can start there and go up 12.5 percent for the length of the deal, which could be as long as the six years Jackson is seeking.

“4 and a half is a slap in this man’s face,” chimes in Terry, who got a 3 year, 22.5 million dollar deal this past offseason, perhaps influencing the figures in Jackson’s head. “We’re not taking 4 and a half, so don’t even start at 4 and a half.”

Says Jackson, “I kind of feel that way. I just want what I deserve and what I feel I’ve earned. God blessed me to have a real great year and God put me in this position for a reason, so I have to take advantage of it.”

But Jackson may feel the crush of teams being over the cap, leaving those select few that are under the cap to deal with. Some of those teams, like the Phoenix Suns and LA Clippers are more focused on Kobe Bryant, and may not need Jackson’s services anyway. But the others, like the Utah Jazz (over 30 million in cap space), the Denver Nuggets (15 million), and Jackson’s old team, the Spurs (12 million) could be potential long term suitors for Jackson’s services.

How long will Jackson wait to sign this year?

“As soon as possible,” quips Jackson, weary of last summer’s process. “I’m not going to take the exact first deal that I get, but I will sign early.”

Does that mean that Hawks GM Billy Knight has stepped forward already?

“Billy has come to me yet, but my agent was here tonight, so they are starting to talk tonight,” theorizes Jackson. “My main thing is to treat me like another guy who had a year like I did.”

Would Jackson be open to coming back to Atlanta?

“I would love to be back in Atlanta. This is my first option, but I’m going to weigh my options to see what’s best for me and my family,” emphasizes Jackson, who has embraced the city this season, including its vibrant nightlife.

“I want to be in a position where I feel wanted, a team where they want me and I’m able to help the team win. I think we showed signs of this team, what we can do, and I definitely showed that I can help this team win.”

“Any organization goes through it’s up and down points,” continues Jackson. “But I think we are at a point of turning it around. We’re just figuring out what we got, and what it takes. If I’ll be back next year, I’ll guarantee we’ll make the playoffs.”

So, after the last game of the season, in Boston on Wednesday, the waiting begins. Billy Knight is a notorious negotiator, and he is loathe to pay more than he has to for a player, so the prospect of a speedy conclusion before the free agency period begins in July, and the market is set for Jackson, seems unlikely, though not impossible.

As always, Jackson gets the last word:

“I want to say this again: I would love to be back in Atlanta. I’ve built a relationship with some of these guys, me and JT are friends, so if the situation is right, I will definitely be back.”

I do hope Billy Knight can get the ball moving on this and get him signed early. I do not feel that his scoring over the last 41 games is an aberration. I feel that Jack is a player that is breaking out and still hasn't fully reached his talent level yet.

I think the Hawks need to make resigning Jackson and Sura a priority.

I think Jason Collier is a capable player who would be a good long term bench guy for the Hawks. A seven footer that can play the 4 and the 5. I'd also look into resigning Joel Przybilla. Pick up the option on Hansen's contract. He could be a young Bob Sura in the making.

I think the Hawks could bring in Stromile Swift at the 4 and have an athletic power forward that plays strong defense and can run the floor.

Go big in the draft. Look at guys like Andris Biedrins with the draft picks.

And lastly, I think Terry Stotts should be kept. I realize the he isn't the big name everyone looks for, but he's a dang good coach who has done well considering the circumstances.

• Premium Member

I agree with most of what you said except the go big.

I would love to get Josh Smith out of this years draft. He fits.

JT/Jax/Smith/Swift/Pryz...

as our starting lineup with Sura, Diaw getting significant time, we would be good.

I agree with KB on who we should sign. With these trades it has open opportunities for alot of players in this team. Players like Collier, CC, Hansen, Sura and even Jax. We knew what Jax can do, but now we know that he plays with alot of heart and intensity and full of energy something Reef never did, Jax is a leader out there on the court he is very vocal and I like that. If Jax can avg 18-20 ppg during a season and he has shown that he can and he can be 6 in the NBA in steals, then he is definitely a keeper.

Jax, Sura, Collier and Hansen need to be resigned. Hansen has shown he can play intense defense and Collier is a good 4 and 5 bench player, he can do some scoring. Sura can definitely start for this team if we dont draft a SF or SG or if we dont sign someone like Kobe or Quentin.

I wouldnt mind seeing the lineup of

JT/Sura/Jax/K-mart/Howard

or

JT/Sura/Jax/K-Mart/Okafor

or

JT/Sura/Jax/Howard/Pryz

Joel does blow a lot of easy baskets, but I would keep my size (I would keep 3 7 footers)

Joel

Collier

Rebraca (sp?)

Size is such a commodity in the NBA. There is truly only a handful of talented big men in the NBA.

My concern is getting a legitimate star out of this draft. We are still missing that one super star that will help pull out games and put fannys in the seats.

We have to get one these guys (Josh, Howard or Okafur). We seem to always start winning at the end of the season, screwing up our draft status.

I don't understand how we can always be sorry in the beginning of the year and start playing incredible ball at the end of year.

Lets hope these lottery balls bounce our way. That is our only hope.

There have been many instances in the NBA where players in the last year of their contracts are rewarded with a big new contract due to their performance in the last few months of their old contract (ex- Austin Croshere). And many of these new contracts have not worked out (ex- Austin Croshere). I believe agree that Jackson is differant. Watch how he scores. He has shown a post up game. He has shown a penetrate/slash game. He has shown he can hit the 15 ft. jumper as well as the three pointer. You cannot temporarily fake those abilities. I was not a big Jackson fan when we signed him. He has now made me a fan and I hope we can sign him to a reasonable contract.

• Moderators

Quote:

It took JT 4 years to earn that contract... I think Jack has earned a good contract but, I wouldn't lock him up for 6 years at the same price.

I agree. Jackson put up great numbers on a bad team. I'd like to have him back because I liked his aggressiveness from day 1 but I wouldn't overpay for him because I don't think he is a true star. However, he can be a very effective scorer and perhaps even lead scorer for a balanced playoff team.

I wouldn't pay Terry $$s to him over 6 years but I might pay him something like Terry's $$s for 2-3 years or $6 million per for more years.

Jackson is too high a risk for me to endorse signing him for more than 2-4 years at the dollars he wants, IMO.

We can't just write off what he has done just because he plays on a bad team though.

How many players on bad teams do you see averaging 22.6 ppg over their last 41 games. This isn't a situation where he has taken a bunch of shots to get that or where he is the only guy that can score on the team.

When this guy was in high school, he was rated among the top in his class along with Kobe Bryant. We all know that he has great athleticism. We are finding out about his basketball skills.

I'm not saying that he is a superstar, but I am going to say that if we keep him, there is a very good chance that he will be an All-Star next season. The guy can score, he plays good defense, and he is athletic.

I dont remember him being compared to Kobe Bryant, but I do remember him being talked about with T-Mac and from all accounts back then they thought he had more potential to become a superstar than T-Mac did. They also said that he had more potential for failure as well.....it appears that it has just taken longer for Jax to really get the chance to prove himself and for him to be ready for it.