• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Hawks Draft Pick Projections

KB21

I know it is crazy to do this before the lottery is set, but I wanted to put my thoughts down on paper. I'm projecting this based on the order of things right now. Of course, things will change after the lottery, but these are the players I feel Atlanta will draft if the draft was in a week:

#6 -- Andris Biedrins, PF/C, 7-0, Skonto Riga

Athletic player with length that can run the floor and play defense....has a developing offensive game....versatile enough to play power forward and center.

#17 -- Tiago Splitter, PF, 7-0, TAU Vitoria

Another long, athletic player who can run the floor....A good defender who has a nice offensive game....verastile player who could probably play some center.

#35 -- Sasha Vujacic, PG, 6-6, Snaidero Udine

Tall, athletic point guard with great court vision, ball handling ability, and perimeter shooting ability.

#38 -- Anderson Varejao, PF/SF, 6-10, Barcelona

Extremely athletic and active player who has the perimeter abillity to play small forward if needed....very good defender who is a shot blocker....Long, athletic, and versatile.

#42 -- Darius Rice, SG/SF, 6-10, Miami

Long, athletic player with lights out shooting ability from the perimeter....Runs the floor well....has very long arms that make him tough to shoot over....needs to improve his off the dribble ability, as he is strictly a spot up shooter right now.

By all accounts Vujajic and Varejao are supposed to be first rounders. Any reason you suddenly have them both falling into our lap in the 2nd round?

I would like that draft overall though. As for your first pick, it would depend who else was still available

Reviewing the needs of the Hawks a few things are apparent.One is a big man is needed(center),2nd a power forward is a must also.It would be nice to find a point guard but besides Devin Harris the rest of the draft at position is spotty. I think the Hawks go for sixe with the first pick but not center.KB21 I like Biedrins but whoever is taken as the hawks first pick has to be a star player.The draft is a crap shoot and the question we have to ask is no1, is Biedrins head and shoulder above the other prospects? Reading on Splitter and some other players I am not sure he is but if he is you take him.If he isn't and there is a similar player we could get at 17 or maybe even in the second we wait for the power forward.We need size as mentioned but Devin Harris looks to be head and shouers about the other point guards and may be more of a solid choice.

If we go power forard with no 1 pick more than likely we go center at 17 then again only if a player is worth it.I think Splitter will be gone but if not I would not mind having both Biedrins and Splitter.Both are power forwards would be the problem.I doubt we could trade the 17th pick and 1 or 2 second rounders plus another player to move up and get both Biedrins and Harris.Here are a few options that may occur:

1.Devin Harris guard no 1 pick Hawks don't think Vujacic will be available in second round.

2. Al Jefferson Only if Splitter and Biedrins are off the boards.There are no centers worth this pick and Jefferson while a gamble may prove big dividends.I wrestled with taking Luke Jackson here also but size is what Hawks need.

second round

1.Ha Seng Jin I know he may go in the first but if he slips this would be a good choice.

2.Darius Rice - lights out shooter small forward

3.Delonte West shoot guard

My other view is we go power forward first

1.Andres Briedins

2.Alekander Vujavic point guard

second round

1.Ha Seng Jin

2.Darius Rice

3.Delonte West

Impact players is what we need and hopefully Knight and his scouts can jusge potential since that is the no1 thing hawks need is players who can change a game.Harris is ollder but is probably more polished than most if the players.I am tired of having a small team and some how the hawks must come out with a center even if a project.With all the picks we should 2 potential impact plkayers from this draft.I still would love Harris and Biedrins but maybve the hawks go all out and either package to get Dwight Howard or stay at no1 pick and draft Josh Smith.

This is an important draft for the hawks and they can't blow these picks unlike past years where Babcock freviously through picks away and was left with nothing.If the Hawks can get 2 potential stars it may be enough to entice a big free agent to come to the hawks.(Kobe ,Ray allen or someone in future).

Devin Harris would be the guy I would pick if we can't land Dwight Howard.

At 17, a player I would strongly consider is David Harrison out of Colorado. He has some maturity issues, but at 7-0, 260 with athleticism, he's a potential dominant big man.

Just reading up on Harrison he does have potential I am wondering if he will work hard enough to realize it.KB21, do you agree with me the Hawks must get 2 potential stars from this draft. We don't need any alan henderson,Stacy Augmon types that are journeymen.I would even trade up to get another good player. I guess we need to ask the question howe many star players will come from this draft and how many have good potential realzing the fact that any player has potential but the NBA Stars who make it have work ethic and skills.

I wonder if there will be any legit 7 footers in round 2 if we don't draft Harrison? If the hawks pick the right players and add add a top elite free agent they could make an impact.But only sign a free agent that is top notch.The middle of the road free agents aren't worth wasting cap space.I hope Billy Knight and management realizes we need some top notch talent.Thats the only way people will come to the games to see exciting players that can win in the league!

I don't necessarily think we have to get two stars in this draft, but over the period of the next two drafts.

IMO, right now the team needs players period. I think we need to concentrate on getting the best available players and not really worry about positions. I wouldn't take a chance on potential with multiple picks as well, which means I wouldn't go into this draft looking to build around two high school kids.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_2888422,00.html

In this link, it is mentioned that David Harrison has a workout scheduled with the Hawks. IMO, if we can come out of this draft with Harris and Harrison, I think we have a point guard and a center that we can build with. If we resign Stephen Jackson, I believe we will have kept a potential all star player. Next year, we could be looking at a player like Charlie Villanueva, who would bring a Lamar Odom type game to the table. Or, we could be looking at Chris Taft, who would be an impact player at the power forward position.

If for no other reason than selfishness to see a true baller in the phillips arena, I want the Hawks to get Jameer Nelson from St. Joe's.

I know what you're gonna say "but he's only 6'0" or "he'll be another J.T."

I say horse puckey. He's a baller and that's a talent the Hawks have lacked. I'm not sure how to push that 17th selection up 3 notches to the point we'll need to be to grab that selection but he's my want for this team.

man, Diesel or BlackHawkDown is gonna hate u for selectin all Euro/international players (exception of Rice).

i dont wanna put down my thoughts yet until the actual lottery is determined.

if we can get HOWARD, im all for it... hes the MVP of all them high school players, enuf said!

As for Josh Smith... man, if Knight is convinced hes the next McGrady/Carter, im all for it as well..

if both are taken and this Biedrins guy plays like AK47... hes definitely worth a look...

.....Luke Jackson.

Good ball handler and a very good shooter. I think he would be a great pairing with a guy like Devin Harris in the backcourt. If the Hawks feel there is a center that they can get in with the 35th pick, Luke Jackson wouldn't be a bad player to take.

At #6, I like Ben Gordon and Devin Harris. I also like Josh Smith.

Honestly, after Howard and Okafor are off the board, I have no huge preference between the following five guys at #6:

Deng

Livingston

Gordon

Harris

Josh Smith

I can see advantages to drafting any of them. I'll just defer to Billy Knight's expertise after he works them all out to see who he goes with. If he goes outside that group however, I'll have some serious questions for him. I could see Biedrins at #6 but with the Hawks needing to generate fan interest, I would question leaving one of those 5 on the board to take an unknown foreign guy who is not offensively developed at this point.

I could see taking Biedrins though.

You know as well as I know that Billy Knight isn't going to draft a player based on public perception.

The attractive attributes Andris Biedrins have is that he is seven feet tall and very athletic. While his offensive game is not developed, he is a guy that can run the floor and defend, which is unusual for European big men.

Remember now, Billy Knight stated during the last game of the season that he wanted to add a couple of long, athletic post guys who could effect the game on both ends on the court.

• Premium Member

Quote:

#6 -- Andris Biedrins, PF/C, 7-0, Skonto Riga

If this is all that is left, I would take him... But I would rather have Smith, Howard, or Livingston... But I would take Biedrins over Deng, Gordon, or Harris if all those others are gone.

Quote:

#17 -- Tiago Splitter, PF, 7-0, TAU Vitoria

More than Likely, Splitter will not come out this year and if he does, he's not better than Humphries...

Quote:

#35 -- Sasha Vujacic, PG, 6-6, Snaidero Udine

This is definitely a wish right?? Vujacic is going much earlier... Probably right after 14... No way he falls into the second round UNLESS there's problems (contract) like there are with Splitter.

Quote:

#38 -- Anderson Varejao, PF/SF, 6-10, Barcelona

I've seen this guy quite a few times...

first we don't need this many PFs..

Secondly, he doesn't have a true offensive instinct. He's a good rebounder in the euroleague but has NO offense. The times that I have seen him play, his points came from tip ins and free throws. He has no post moves and his range is bad. He would be the equivalent of Hendu with no offense. At this pick, why not go for Sato??

Quote:

#42 -- Darius Rice, SG/SF, 6-10, Miami

This guy is the biggest disappointment in the draft. I remember him coming out of HS and I knew he would be good. His first year with Miami was pretty good.. But he never progressed. Honestly, I don't think he has the motivation to be a good NBA player. He's an uninspired set shot artist. Does that mean I wouldn't draft him?? Well, he's still '6'10 and plays the SG/Sf position. I think a very late 2nd is worth this kind of player.... However, I don't think he would make the team...

In review of KB's picks... KB you paid no attention to need. Going into the draft, PF is a need but after we get one, we need to focus on other needs like SF... C...

Also, there's a lot of unreliable scouting that everybody here leans on...

I think in the final analysis, the GMs with the most scouts in their scouting department will get it right. For a great example, look at the picks that Miami has made over the past few years...

Oh, yes Splitter is better than Humphries. Especially for Atlanta.

First of all, Splitter is 6-11 and will probably be 7-1 within the next couple of years. Kris Humphries is 6-8 or shorter, so he's undersized for the position.

Secondly, Splitter has better defensive ability. He's got some shot blocking ability and is a better athlete than Humphries.

Thirdly, Splitter works harder and is more of a team player than Humphries.

Basically, Humphries being undersized for the position he plays will automatically take him off Billy Knight's list. Knight wants players who are long and athletic, and Humphries fits neither category.

Anderson Varejao has very good range. He's got enough range that some consider his future position to be at the small forward position if he improves his handles. His offense isn't limited to tip ins around the basket, and he played very, very well in the Pan American games over the summer for Brazil. He's long, athletic, and is a very instinctive defender.

Every pick I talked about here fills a need. Billy Knight wants to get longer and more athletic, and that's exactly what these players would make the Hawks.

• Premium Member

Dude have you ever watched a Minn Game??? Humphries is about as true a PF as have come out since Karl Malone. Humphries is a dominant rebounder who has a great inside game. You say that he's not athletic??? You've never watched a Gopher game huh??? Don't go by what you read KB, watch a game for yourself. If he's still available by 17, he will be the steal of the draft. Hve you ever seen Splitter play? He's soft. Size means nothing if you can't bang... Plus, Splitter is not coming out anyway.

About Anderson.... Like I told you , I have watched this guy many times... He's an impressive athletic rebouinder... But his offense isn't worth squat. He's a clean up guy... No way do you put him on the floor and run plays for him. And that's how every team I have seen him play for has treated him. I was first interested in him because I thought he was his brother. However, his brother has an offensive game and he doesn't.

Every pick you gave fills a need???

You pick 3 PFs and a 1PG and 1 SG.....

Where's the C? Where's the rebounder/Banger?? If it's up to your pick, we will have a team filled with Soft Tweeners and JT. That's a recipe for last place.

Let's say for instance that Anderson could play SF... (Which he can't) Who's going to shoot the ball? I guess your plan also means moving JT to SG.... Come on man???

What's your lineup.

Vujacic, Terry, Diaw, Biedrins, Pryz??

Dude this team gets beat badly every night.

You better call Jerry Sloan and see if he can do anything with this crap.

at #17. I liked what I saw from that kid in the MAAG. He was very aggressive and I thought he looked like the 2nd best big man on the floor next to Howard (yes better than Jefferson). He will need a few years of seasoning but I think he could be an outstanding Center in time.

As for Splitter, I've never seen him play but he sounds like a very good propsect.

As for Humphries, I think he could be the 2nd coming of Carlos Boozer. He may be a little undersized but he can play. I would be more than fine with him being a Hawk from what I've seen.

• Premium Member

You've never watched a Minn game huh???

I saw the MAAG... You know, Swift did look good, but did you notice that he only looked good when Livingston was on the floor? Swift is 7 foot but he's not a NBA baller yet. Also, he's not comparable to Humphries. You're comparing a HS kid to a guy that was the leading scorer and rebounder in the Big Teen and the NCAA player of the year.

Come on man.

Do you think comparing him to Carlos Boozer is an insult? That being said, I just think Swift has more upside. The old saying that "you can't teach size" applies here in my opinion. Humphries is more ready to play right away in the NBA but I think Swift will eventually be the better player.