Article on Josh Smith from Hoops Summit Game.

KB21

This is a premium article, so I'm taking a chance posting it here.

Quote:

SAN ANTONIO – Just when Josh Smith’s stock was about to take a little dip after a series of so-so all-star game performances, the 6-8 wing led Team USA past a World Select squad 99-79 at the Hoop Summit in Texas.

USA’s 99-79 victory over the World Select Team at the Hoop Summit was important on a number of fronts. First, the win moves the United States’ overall record in the competition to 5-2. Secondly, an impressive showing by 6-8 wing forward Josh Smith, helped the standout in the eyes of the NBA contingent.

Smith, who made himself collegiately ineligible by playing in too many post-season games, was taking a public relations hit in his campaign to be a lottery pick. NBA scouts can be a ‘what have you done for me lately’ bunch and the latest reviews of Smith were average at best. Then, on Sunday, he showed another part of his game.

Athletically, Smith has some freak in him, everyone knows that. Those in the know also were aware that he’s a catch-and-shoot guy from downtown who can get streaky behind the arc. What they didn’t know was that he was capable of going off the wing to the basket.

Obviously, some very wise sages counseled Josh recently on what he needed to do to elevate his stock once more. The advice from the inner circle was straightforward: time to prove you can take it to the rim from the wing and finish.

Against the World Team, Smith did that and more. He finished with 27 points on 12-for-18 shooting which included 3-of-6 from downtown. However, it was a series of big time drives that had be impressive to the NBA types. On one play, Smith drove baseline and threw down a nasty jam. To those in the crowd who had never seen him before, it might have been a big time athlete making a big time play. To those in the know, it was a big time athlete making a statement.

Afterward, Smith acknowledged that he was making a concerted effort to showcase his game. “I kind of took it upon myself to go the rack.” He would go onto say that his aggressive play on the wing was “probably” the reason for his outstanding Hoop Summit effort.

Taking a page out of the Josh Smith novel was J.R. Smith (17 points). The 6-6 winger, also known more for his range and willingness to launch deep 3s, went to the hole himself.

It’s no secret that J.R. has been looking into his NBA draft status like Josh Smith, scouts wondered about his ability to do other things beside fire deep 3s. Also like Josh, J.R. aggressively went to the hole on a few occasions and planted the seed. An athletic baseline drive and flush is sure to be etched in the minds of those who saw it.

In the cases of both Smiths, it was clear that they had heard the criticisms about their games and both took steps to prove that they could do certain things. They scored huge points though J.R. would still be best served rounding out his game on the college level.

While the Smiths showed the big leaguers they had more to their game, another serious question about Sebastian Telfair’s candidacy for early entry was left unanswered. There is no doubt that the young man can pass the basketball, is speedy and has extraordinary court vision and awareness. There remains doubt that he can make jumpshots well enough to skip levels.

At the Hoop Summit, Telfair finished just 1-for-11 from the field and 1-for-3 from downtown. He did a nice job of running the team, showing leadership and passing the ball but questions remain about the jumper.

Rudy Gay (14 points) and Al Jefferson (13 points, 6 rebounds) were the other two members of the team to score in double digits. Though not a huge stat stuffer on the day, Malik Hairston contributed 4 offensive rebounds, a number of hustle plays and impressed with his versatility and hoops IQ. Hairston also showcased a fine defensive game and played with intensity at both ends.

If I'm not mistaken, the Hoops Summit was the last All-Star game that Smith played in. What this tells me is that Josh Smith is willing to listen to criticism and work on his weaknesses. The McDonald's game and the EA Sports game was before the Hoops Summit, and at that time, Josh hadn't shown he could do much off the dribble. He comes forward in this game and shows at least some flashes of the ability to do so. For all the talk that Josh lacks a work ethic, this would suggest otherwise. I think that his work with John Lucas in Houston has been more about him improving those skills sets that are among the biggest criticisms of his game than anything else.

If this guy improves his ability to handle the ball on the drive to the basket, then he's going to be able to create his own shot. With his athleticism, that means this kid will be an uber Superstar in this league if that skill develops. Josh Smith may turn out to be the steal of this draft, and his AAU coach, that coached Dwight Howard as well, thinks Smith might be the best player out of this draft 3-4 years from now.

First of all KB, nice work on all the pre draft stuff...You got even less from it all than I did (that means less than zero), but the effort and content was excellent...great job.

Now, on to Josh Smith...

I called Josh Smith "The Guilty Pleasure" because his athleticism is sure to make tongues wag at the Arena. But I am excited that he has the potential to be much more.

Sean Devaney said that Josh reminds him of Eddie Robinson of the Bulls and hopes, obviously for Hawks fans, that Josh's head is in a much better place than Eddie's.

Here's hoping that his work at that Summit indicates that his head is in the place to improve, and become a steal in the process.

Good Stuff.....

I really think we got the steal of the draft in Josh Smith. His weaknesses are being over publicized for some reason by the media. Every player in this draft has something to work on.

I have seen this kid play several times and the criticism he is getting is unfair and misleading.

I hope he uses this as motivation and blow the top off of the NBA and call out everyone who gave him negative publicity when he makes the all-star team in 3 to 4 years.

I am very excited about the future of this team. Billy Knight has done well in getting young talent to build with.

No we will not win next year but we will be winners in 3 years guaranteed with this young nucleus.

That's the whole point in drafting him. Atlanta has the time to wait on his development. They realize that this isn't going to be a quick turn around. The fairweather fans don't realize this though. They expect the team to turn this thing around immediately, and that simply isn't going to happen.

Billy Knight's goal is to build a team that is capable of winning a championship. In his view, a team that is long and athletic with players that can play more than one position is the type of team that will be tough to beat down the road. He's going to take his time in trying to get that type of team on the floor. With Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Boris Diaw, and maybe Donta Smith, he has a solid foundation to start with.

I find it interesting that it said

Quote:

Smith, who made himself collegiately ineligible by playing in too many post-season games.

Do you think Josh Smith really wanted to go to college, and just accidentally played to many post season games?

I'm very happy with this pick. It wouldn't be suprised if he leads our summer team in PPG and BPG. Kid is a scorer.

I doubt it. From last year's draft on, the two players that everyone felt would go pro were Howard and Smith. Many didn't think Telfair would go pro because small guards like him had never done it before. Robert Swift was thought to be a potential draftee because he would have never made the grades to play.

I think Howard and Smith decided long ago that they were going pro though.