• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can David Anderson make the team?

Blunt91

Billy Knight says he needs Big Men then why not sign Anderson to at least a 1year deal? I know some have said he is suppose to play in the Summer league but Pete Babcock said the same thing last year(before he got fired)when asked about Anderson. 2years is long enough to keep Anderson oversees. If he is not ready now he never will be. Might as well trade his rights if we don't think he is good enough to make the team although from his orginal profile 2years ago he has enough talent to be a solid player. He can't be no worse than Jason Collier. I wonder is David Anderson in the mold of a Rebraca type player, not a banger but pretty skillful with putting the ball in the hoop.

Here is a profile of him before he was drafted in 2002.

Strengths: Decently athletic player who runs the floor well and is extremely mobile ... Offensively he has wonderful touch around the basket and shows the ability to shoot 16 feet from the perimeter ... Has a great understanding of where he is in relation to the basket this is why he is a threat to score on his turnaround jumper ... Smart player who makes solid decisions on the court ... Resourceful around the basket where he uses his long arms and quickness to gain easy scoring opportunities ... Has the court vision to be an above average passer ... Decent rebounder who should get better with added upper body strength and improved technique ... When facing an opponent on offense Anderson has enough ball handling to drive past his defender ... Possess solid low post footwork making it easy for him to execute his offense smoothly ... Patient on offense as he doesn't force or rush many shots ...

Weaknesses: Confidence has a tendency to wavier although to his credit this has been less of a issue ... Offensively Anderson's back to the basket skills are still in need of refinement and variety ... Lacks the necessary upper body strength to hold his position on the blocks ... Skill wise Anderson really hasn't advanced as much as predicted which has lead some to believe that he is nearing his potential and could be a finished product ... Physical defenders seem to give him trouble which sometimes leads him to shy away from contact ... Could stand to add 15-20 pounds of muscle which would really benefit him in the post ... Defensively he isn't a super shot-blocker as he doesn't have the leaping quickness needed to have a impact ... Not a consistent shooter from the perimeter as his jumper can be streaky ... Needs to work on his rebounding fundamentals such as boxing out but to his credit this will be less of a issue when he adds more upper body strength ... Perimeter defense could stand some improvement ...

He's playing for the Australian team at the Olympics so I guess that BK will use that as Andersons Summer League and make a call on Anderson after the games. But you're right, this is Anderson's best chance at making the Hawks roster considering their lack of size, and he's aware of that. The only problem is that while Anderson is tall, he's not the banger we need.

• Premium Member

I would like to see us sign a fleet of big men....

Ekiezie/Fizer/Swift/Foyle/and Pryz.

and Dump Hendu and CC.

JT/Ward/Ivy (IL)

Childress/Hansen

Diaw/Smith/Smith

Swift/Fizer/Ekiezie

Foyle/Pryz/Collier (IL)

All of these guys have a function. However, the primary function is defense. With defense on the perimeter, we have to have shot blocking/rebounding in the post and Paint.

Every guy I have mentioned is cheap.

• Premium Member

Fizer is going to be cheap, he's a decent offensive guy, he's a good defensive guy. Off the bench, he would add good energy. If we can get him for 2 year, 5.5 million, I would sign him easily.

Swift is the PF. Swift is the one who will be playing 30-35 minutes. Swift is the one we expect to bloosom into a very good player. By playing off the bench and having Good coaching, you never know what Fizer would become. He was not a black hole in Iowa st. I didn't think he was a black hole in Chicago.

At a cheap price, I'd take a chance on him.

there's almost no way Fizer would come off the bench, at least not without malcontent, for a young team. He'd say he's better than so and so, the starter at sf or pf, that he needs more minutes, esp. as he's getting older, and that he should start.

he can't finish very well on the break, isn't long, tall...a true, true tweener.

why are you on him?