Plainview1981

Jackson doesn't expect to return

By MICHAEL LEE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 6/27/04

EMAIL THIS

PRINT THIS

MOST POPULAR

Stephen Jackson, the Hawks' leading scorer last season, said the team's selections of Josh Childress, Josh Smith and Donta Smith in the NBA draft were a signal to him that he should look elsewhere for a job.

Jackson becomes an unrestricted free agent Thursday.

"They got three young kids similar to my position," Jackson said by phone from his home in Texas. "Atlanta is a place I'd love to be, but they are in a rebuilding situation and they have to do what's best for the team."

The Hawks now have five players who can play shooting guard and/or small forward, including last year's draft picks, Boris Diaw and Travis Hansen. Nevertheless, Hawks general manager Billy Knight said he still intends to go after Jackson.

"We like Stephen Jackson," Knight said. "He did a heck of a job for us. He played hard consistently and showed some leadership. I don't mind a little competition."

In his one season with the Hawks, Jackson set career-highs of 18.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.78 steals. The 6-foot-8 swingman joined the Hawks after spending the previous two years with the San Antonio Spurs, winning a championship in 2003.

Jackson elected not to pick up the $1.1 million option on his Hawks contract. In free agency, which starts Thursday, he likely will command considerably more money.

"There is no bad blood with me and Atlanta," said Jackson, who is expected to be pursued by the Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers. "The good thing is, I have a lot of options and I put myself in a good position last season."

• Premium Member

He says he plans on persueing Jax, but at the same time, I think Knight has a limit on how much he would pay Jax. Probably thinking 4-5 million is enough. Let's look at the truth..

Diaw/Smith and Smith are guys we have pigeon holed at Sf. For better or worse. Why take Jax on probably a 6 or 7 year deal if he's not even the future.

Quote:

They got three young kids similar to my position," Jackson said by phone from his home in Texas. "Atlanta is a place I'd love to be, but they are in a rebuilding situation and they have to do what's best for the team."

Jax is just using this excuse as a scapegoat. He knows if he signs here next year he will automatically starting, he did do a heck of a job last year for us, he plays hard, with energy and very enthusiastic. Knight drafted Smith boys and Childress for security, especially the Smith Boys. We all suspect that Childress will be a starter , but he would of been a starter with JT and Jax. Jax doesnt want to sign with us, he wants to go back to San Anton.

I wouldn't waste more money on a shooting guard or small forward. I would rather use the playing time for Childress, Diaw& both Smiths. Jacks isn't the future at SF Josh SMith and Donta Smith are.

Jackson is as good as gone. He will not be in a Hawks uniform next year. We are rebuilding with several guys that can play multiple positions.

This will open up more playing time for the young guys to develop. We are going to throw the young guys into the fire early which I think is good.

We will have an athletic high flying exciting team in a few years.

I think Jax did a GREAT job for us last year, he plays hard EVERY night and he is still getting better. I think his style of play fits very well with what Billy likes and he is versatile enough to play more than one position. If the Joshes, Boris and Donta all develop into very good players (what are the odds of that happening?), Jax can be dealt at a later date. Right now, I think he brings the kind of effort every night that would be good for impressionable young kids to see. I wouldn't over pay for Jax, but I'd love to have him back and starting at SF. I'd feel really good with JT, Childress and Jax at the 1, 2 and 3 to start the season.

• Premium Member

I can't help but agree...

i think it's a good thing if we play... JT/Childress/Diaw as our 1, 2 and 3 starters and we play DSmith and JSmith as BUs to the 2 and 3 position. However, I believe we must get a vet PG... I say Charlie Ward. I know Charlie has his critics, but Charlie can hit the deep shot, he plays good defense, and he has been around the game long enough to know something.

I was surfing through channels the other night and the Tallahasse nightly news had a little segment with Ward. Charlie Ward is spending sometime in Tallahasse,Fla this summer working out. He hopes that some team will give him a chance next season. (I am not too far from the FLA line so that's how I'm able to pick on the Tallahasse news station.)

wish i could have seen that blunt. live in gville and gradtd from fsu...i would be for bringing him in except he's not much of a run n gun guy and i don't want to pay too much for him...

but honestly i really thought he was a perfect backup i san antonion but they never played him.

• Premium Member

Ward is a run and gun guy. Who do you think thought Cassell and Sura at FSU? That's all they did. When NY got Spreewell, it was Charlie Ward who helped them to run and gun passed the Hawks.

I think Ward is atheletic enough to be a good BU. Plus, he can hit the open Shot. Maybe a 2 year 6 million dollar deal. But I think we ought to give Ward a shot. He's perfect for our situation. Plus, if we get Lucky and trade JT to Orlando for Gooden/Nelson... I think that Ward would be a good mentor for Nelson. But even if we don't... We should look at him.

Let alone that 2 Yr/$8.4 million deal you were suggesting that we offer earlier. There are a ton of guys out there who I would rather have at PG than Ward for that kind of money. Troy Hudson and Rafer Alston immediately come to mind for guys in that $3 million to $4 million a season range. In addition, I'd MUCH rather bring Sura back than bring in Ward and I'm sure Sura can be had for similar money. Ward would be a solid backup but for no more than the veteran's exception.

• Premium Member

Trace, you're funny man...

I suggests 2 year 6 million.

No what that really says is 2.66 million the first year and a player option on the second. You just said.... Maybe the vet min...

You know that the vet min is 2.00 million dollars right?

So, you're saying that Charlie Ward who is probably the best 3 pt shooting PG that can also run an offense and defend PGs (in the league) is not worth that extra .66 million??

Get out of here...

Last year in NY...

He played 23.6 mpg, he score 8.7 ppg, he handed out 4.9 apg, he shot 44% from the field and 43% from 3 pt land. He hit 59 out of 138 3pters in 35 games.

IN 37.4 mpg

JT scored 16 ppg, 5.4 rpg, Shot 42% from the field and 34% from three point line and compared to the 2.66 mill I would pay Ward to be back up, JT made 7.8 mill from us...

And you don't think Charlie ward is worth a contract that starts at 2.66 million???

Come on man. Tell me you watch more basketball than that?

Quote:

Trace, you're funny man...

No what that really says is 2.66 million the first year and a player option on the second. You just said.... Maybe the vet min...

The veteran's minimum for 04-05 is $1.1 M, of which the team only has to pay $745,000 because Ward has been in the league for 5+ years. HUGE difference between $2.66 M (actually it would have to be closer to $2.85 M if the deal is 2 yrs/$3 M) and $745,000. Second, you never said ANYTHING about a "team option" until I said that was too much for Ward. Finally, you want to give Ward a 2 yr/$6 M deal and he couldn't even beat out Jason Hart for minutes in San Antonio's rotation despite having all that "experience." Give me a break!