• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the real reason Bk didn't hire Fratello?

Blunt91

I know Knight has stated he wanted someone who will have a chance to "Grow" with the team but if that is the case why waste time interviewing Fratello & Mcleod whom you know are up in age? The new Owners(Atlanta Spirit) stated they wanted to make a big Splash this summer and they still have a chance to do so but they missed a chance at one in not hiring Fratello. I think Fratello wanted too much say so in decision making and that didn't sit well with Knight who clearly wants to make this his Franchsie and not the coaches. Since Woodson is Knight's friend and former teammate he would be more likely to go along with Knight's plans than Fratello. I am not saying Woodson is a bad choice he might turn out to be good but he isn't the topflight coach that I think Ownership wanted. Don't be fooled Knight might be in charge of decison matters but Ownership is the one that will lose money if fan attendance is still down and we continue to lose. Right now Belkin & Gearon Jr. or giving Billy Knight the benefit that he knows what he is doing, however, if things aren't going right during the season Belkin will look to have more of a "voice" in the Hawks decisons than what he has now.

• Moderators

I would have loved Fratello too. He's a great coach and I think he might have signed a shorter deal. 4 years is a long time for an unproven guy, and the truth is how much different in terms of experience is Woodsen compared to Stotts.

But, I think hiring someone you know personally for Knight is a smart move. I think bringing someone in from a championship team is going to carry a lot of weight with all these young players.

Knight was looking for someone he would feel comfortable with in the decision making processes. He played with this guy and knows him personally. It is a very good fit for Knight and the organization.

He would have probably been a power struggle with Fratello because of his credentials.

If you are starting from scratch, start with a 1st time head coach that you are comfortable with.

yep. and if he works out, is really the real deal...then you made a good hire.

we don't know all of Billy's thought process, but you can at least say he explored his options. He checked them out, thought about what they could bring...and decided otherwise...

Billy was legitimately interested in Billy Knight, but that interest waned when Fratello came up with his contractual demands. He wanted to be one of the higher paid coaches in the league, and the Hawks weren't willing to do that considering they still owe both Terry Stotts and Lon Kruger around $3 million.