Jamal Crawford

Buzzard

Hey Hawks Fans,

To start this with, I want to say that I am extremely grateful that I read a post on this site at ESPN. This is the best forum for Hawks fans, nothing I have seen comes close! A lot of upbeat, positive fans, which is what being a fan in my mind is all about. So, a Big Thanks to all who are helping to make this board happen!

I know I am new on this forum but I have been a Hawks fan since the 70's. Jamal Crawford has been on my mind as a good option for us for at least two years and I wanted to throw this out there.

I like Crawford a lot and all the skills he brings would be a nice match for Terry. I also cannot keep thinking about how the Bulls have seriously blown it (in my mind) by letting players like Elton Brand and Donyell Marshall go. I honestly think they are doing the same type of thing with Jamal Crawford.

Just think if the Bulls still had Elton Brand, Donyell Marshall, and Jamal Crawford to go along with Curry and all those point guards they have.

I really think Crawford could turn out to be a special player with his size and skills at the 1 or 2.

If we get Crawford:

We then have Terry starting at the point, Crawford at the 2, Chris Crawford plus our rookies at the 3 (of course we will also experiment with them as well at different positions), and Harrington at the 4. Our centers and bench, I think would then be our only concern. I did omit Kenyon, really think he is Denver bound, but you never know.

By signing Crawford and getting Harrington, provided Martin goes elsewhere, we still have some cap space left as well.

I know the Knicks are trying to work out a sign and trade. But I think if we offered Crawford a solid deal, they would think twice about taking on another sizeable contract, especially at a position (Marbury and Houston) they already have loaded with dollars.

Just a thought, maybe I am dreaming, it is getting late cool.gif

I would be happy with Crawford, heck even as a replacement for JT..The only thing in that scenario that would concern me is would we still have enough cap to grab Swift? Someone who's more familiar with the cap could answer that better than me.

• Premium Member

We looked at it, there should be enough to sign Crawford and Swift if they would take cheap contracts.

Swift - 4 yrs 24.2 milion (starts at 5.50 million).

Crawford 6 yrs 42 million (maybe starts at 6 million).

However, I would rather just take Crawford and send JT on. Because At least Crawford can guard 2s...

Just because he is 6'5" doesn't mean he is a good defender. He's not very strong (he's 3 inches taller but only 10 lbs heavier than JT) and I've never heard anyone accuse him of being a good defender. That being said, I'd love to have him because I think he is very talented. I think he would be an excellent fit with JT from an OFFENSIVE standpoint but both of them have to get better on D.

Why do people like Jamal Crawford?

He's awful on defense and can not defend SGs. He's MUCH worse than JT on defense even. He's got some of the worst shot selection in the league and is not effective running the point. Y'all complain so much about JT and then want to bring a player in that has the exact same problems only magnified.

I don't think JT is an All Star player but I think he is a lot better than most people on this board give him credit for being. People are all for bringing in Jamaal Crawford despite the fact that he and JT have very similar games. Actually, JT shot a higher percentage from both 2 pt and 3 pt range while averaging more assists and more rebounds than Crawford. Crawford even had the advantage of playing the entire season with a terrific ballhandling backcourt mate in Heinrich while JT had to play with the likes of Dion GLover and Jax for most of the season. What kind of numbers would JT have put up if he had played alongside Sura all year and Sura is not as good as Heinrich.

• Premium Member

Sura might not have a better career than Hinrich and I like Hinrich, but I have to admit that down the stretch this year, Sura was better than Hinrich. I mean, how many PGs in the league can say that they pulled off three triple doubles in three games??

The future is Hinrich's but this past down the stretch there were not many PGs period who played better than Sura... (also I didn't mention his toughness).

Those are very good points. If you read this forum you would think JT was the worst guard in the league, but he is not. JT is talented, however he is just too turnover prone to be a point guard. He has flashes of brilliant play and then he just totally loses it and does some dumb stuff. Why?? Maybe concentration....I really can't answer this but right now he is probably the most valuable commodity on the team. He has the most trade value of any player on this team right now, not that that is saying a lot.

I think Billy Knight is willing to give him a try in his new system with more athletic players to see if he can thrive and win.

JT is a talented basketball player, he just doesn't have a true position or he has never been in a system that he fits in well. We will find out this year.

Enough of the fantasy JT trades Diesel!!

Quote:

Why do people like Jamal Crawford?

I like him for a few reasons, he averaged 17 pts a game, 5 assist and 2 threes to start with, and this was only the first year in which the Bulls actually gave him starter minutes (35 min a game). He is only 24 years old and has not, I believe come close to reaching his potential.

As far as his D goes, it’s not Payton like, but he averaged over a steal a game and if Isiah Thomas likes him, I also have to think he has more to offer than the Bulls have allowed him to show. Thomas helped with the Pistons and he has a pretty good eye for talent.

I do not think it would be easy to get him, the Bulls are looking for a draft pick, a player and/or some cap relief by taking on one of their big contracts.

This is really just a notion I have had for a while but if the price is to steep, I say walk away. I just hate missing out on good young talent (lottery type) if the opportunity is there to get him.