• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Van Exel and Dampier in town.........

emeans

• Admin

I don't want to overpay for him though. I wouldn't want to give him any more then 8 million and imo that is still a lot. He is an excellent rebounder but really is just a good center.

IF van exel is here I have a feeling it will mean a SnT involving JT.

I wouldn't mind Dampier. But I think we'd have to overpay and I'd rather not do that unless we think he's our guy for the future.

As for Van Exel, let's just say that he's better at everything than JT. Now if you sign him JT becomes somewhat useless. And he probably wants a good chunk of change. I definitely wouldn't want to pay him too much, but he'd be an upgrade over JT. The only downside is that signing him would be step 1 of the return of JT the SG.

Thats the reason I don't want Van Exel. He is OLD. He is past his prime and we are a rebuilding team. We need someone who is younger and can grow with this team as the leader on the floor.

I like Van Exel's game in his prime. The man can shoot and he almost single handedly put the Dallas Mavericks over the top a few years back.

Very interesting. This is a sure sign of a SnT. Perhaps we are offering JT and capspace to GS for these two?

If we did this deal we would lose about 11 million in cap space, approximately. I think that we would be set for the coming year though. NVE makes more money than I would like to pay him, but he is a solid veteran player and getting Dampier would be great if we can basically extend him at or near his current salary that he opted out of which is about equal to what JT makes.

The only downside is that we would be out of contention for Swift, but perhaps Knight has realized that the Grizz will match any reasonable offer that we make and he doesnt want to overpay for Swift?........or, perhaps we would be keeping NVE and then shipping Damp to Memphis for Swift and Battier?

I like the sound of that.

NVE/Ivey/D Smith

Childress/Hansen

Battier/Diaw/JSmith

Harrington/CC/Hendu

Swift/Collier/Pryz or Rebraca?

Obviously we would have to keep some guys on the IR, like Hendu for sure would have to go. Maybe we arent wanting to bring back Pryz but I would hope that we do.

we have to get some kind of veteran presence on this team. As of right now, all we have is Jason Terry (not a leader), Alan Henderson (not a player) and Chris Crawford, (has no respect from other players). NVE would be good, at the right price. Not so sure I give up on Terry just yet though.

well i'm for this if this means we have a crapload of cap next year and puts us in the forfront in cap. it would have to be a sign and trade with terry...dampier i'm still scared about...i think he was a contract year performer really...we just can't overpay for him..

van exel would be a good mentor for the kids and he could pad his stats for a future contract from someone else. it may give him the opportunity to put his name back out there.

but again only if it's to get cap room next year..damp still scares me though.

If we SNT Van Exel, I'm going to be very, very wary. Do people not recall how poorly he takes losing? I mean, if this team struggles, he's going to sit. If he's banged up (most players, esp. him are at some point) and we're struggling as a team...he's going to ride the pine. He did this last year in GS.

not many elephants on this board...

if you have him at the one, and Childress at the two...then Diaw becomes the three, cause someone's gotta pass the damn ball, not score. I'm afraid of how much those players will defer to NVE...I just don't see what a rebuilding team would want with him.

Quote:

Is Van Exle a FA, or what is his contract status?

Here is what I found at hoopshype.

Its a monster contract this year at almost 12 million then a team option for almost 13 million next year. Needless to say, if we do get Van Exel we will not be picking up next years contract option.

link is here:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

This has to be a sign and trade if it is true, I like what KB21 mentioned in the other post about us sending Dampier to Memphis for Swift. If true we have probably taken our offer back for Kmart.

I mean could we afford Kmart, VanExel and Swift? To much math for me.

I like the look of that line-up. The thing about NVE is that he is a leader. he will push a team to be better (if he thinks they can be). He is the kind of player that Woodson would like because he will give his all and demand that of his teammates. He is definitly a leader for our youthful team.

NVE/Ivey

Childress/Hansen

Battier/Diaw/Smith

Harrington/CC

Swift/Collier

Now that is a pretty decent team and has a lot of growth potential. If NVE works out really well (and Ivey doesn't) we would have a team option for another year of Nick) This gives us youthful depth that can take its time to develop everywhere with a veteran leader at the key PG position.

I like it..

The amount of his contract, since it is only one year, is not material. The more important issue is, as Weez and others have mentioned, is does he put forth an effort in light of the fact that the Hawks are not likely going to be winning many games this year. And even more important, what type of influence does he have on the young guys.

I have said before that with all these young guys on the team the hawks need a veteran leader. The guy does not have to be a superstar, just a solid professional with the right attitude. Avery Johnson as a back up point guard/assistant coach would not be a bad idea if not signed already.

Of all the scenarios possible with these discussions, I like getting Van Exel and Swift. I know Memphis has had their eye on Dampier this offseason. I didn't think we would land Swift by just offering a contract. This would give us the chip to send him here.

Van Exel is a bit of a gamble, but their are some positives to having him. He is a much better point guard than Terry. I'm not so concerned about him sitting out because of losing, he has to play for a contract. After seeing what happend to S Jackson, he might be playing his best game. Also he has trade value because of his expiring contract.

Let's say that Van Exel plays well for Atlanta, and a few teams need a point guard for their playoff run. We offer Van Exel for either draft picks or other assets, a la Sheed. Next season Van Exel, Crawford, and Henderson are off the books, and we are big time players in the market again.

A starting lineup of:

Van Exel

Childress

Diaw

Harrington

Swift

This team could dominate in a running offense. It's the kind of exciting team that Billy Knight wants to have. If he pulls these deals off things could be interesting.

Van Exel will become a free agent after next season, so I don't see him hurting the Hawks at all. Nick also holds some tradevalue, and we could always try to find away to dump if before the trade deadline.

I also agree, if this goes down JT will most likely be shipped out of town. Lets remember JT still has to agree to any trade.

Dampier has a black clound hanging over his head, but I wouldn't pay him anymore than 8 million a year, and that is even pushing it.

Some guy on realgm.com is claiming that the proposed deal is:

JT to GS

NVE/Dampier(1 yr/10M)/future 1st to ATL

Wouldn't that be a steal?

To get a 1st and cap room next season? We'd be talking about like 30M to spend. We could pretty much sign a Ray Allen type and still have as much as we do now to spend. I don't see that being the deal though.