• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Can't We Do the Dampier for Swift/Battier?

TheDude

the two statements were taken from hoopshype but they are excerpts from SanFran Chronicle and Memphis Commercial Appeal respectively.

"""" Golden State is said to be eyeing Grizzlies restricted free agent Stromile Swift, a talented though erratic forward, with a Dampier sign-and- trade as bait. Memphis would prefer to include Shane Battier in the deal. . """

--

"" Unfortunately for the Griz, Cardinal has no influence on Warrior executives or former teammate Dampier. The Grizzlies have tirelessly tried to sign-and-trade for Dampier but a deal isn't imminent. Golden State, Memphis, and Dan Fegan, Dampier's agent, couldn't agree to terms as of late Tuesday night. A coveted center, Dampier appears to be running out of options in the free-agent market. Indiana, Atlanta, and New York appear to be his most viable suitors. Only Atlanta has significant money to spend under the salary cap. "

--

so it sounds like we should have a chance to pull something off here. earlier someone discussed throwing in JT in the deal and getting a first rounder out of it also. Not sure if Billy would go for that but it seems to me that we could be sly and get into this somehow and come out with Battier/Swift for really nothing (or a reasonable salary).

It could be that with the introduction of Shaq in our division that BK may try to get a guy like Dampier..With our current lineup Shaq could go for 50 every game against us.

With a lineup of ..

JT

Chills

Diaw

Harrington

Damp

We could be a formidible team..So who knows

I dont mind us getting damp as long as it's not too expensive.

That being said, you don't get players based on one opponent in your division. You build a teaem how you think it should be built in the long run. If in the meantime we happen to matchup particularly poorly with the heat, so be it.

We definitely need some size from someone though, shaq or no shaq

The only way the Hawks end up with Swift and Battier is by trading Jason Terry, which leaves the Hawks with no point guard, no outside shooting and only Collier at center. I am not saying it is a bad trade but just pointing out that it creates as many problems as it fixes.

To me, that would be for a deal starting at slightly above the MCE. I could see going 4 yrs/$30M starting at $6.5M a season with a team option for a 5th season. I don't think I would take a chance on him for any longer than that. I just don't trust his injury history. Still, for that price, he might be worth the risk. In addition, that contract would be VERY tradeable to a team who needs a big man at a later date.

I'm concerned about outside shooting now. JT is our only proven 3 pt shooter right now. J-Chill is a rookie, so you can't bank on him doing anything until he proves what he can do.

Was NVE really in the ATL w/ Dampier the other day?

• Premium Member

The way I have it is:

Trade #1.

JT/CC to GS.

Damp (11 million, 5 yr 60 million) to Memphis

NVE/Swift (6.5 million, 4 yr 30 million)/Battier to Atlanta.

This gives the lineup of NVE/Battier/Harrington/Swift/Collier. or something like that.

Trade #2.

JT to GS

Damp (11 million, 5 yr 60 million) to Memphis

Swift(6.5 million, 4 yr 30 million)/Battier/Bell to Atlanta.

The point is that Memphis is willing to spend a lot on Damp because he may be their last piece to the Championship contention. Also, I don't think that many of the pieces mentioned are much for Memphis. They would still have:

Williams/Gasol/Damp/Miller and that Sf I can't ever remember. Plus... Lo, Big Jake, Cardinal, etc...

The question is what is GS's price. I believe their price is that we take NVE. That would give them some cap flexibility. Putting them at 38+ Million and having about 5 million to use before the trade deadline.

For us...The move puts us at 39 million.

We have enough money to sign one or two cheap contracts.... With the expectation that in the offseason we will gain 19 million under the cap.

NVE/J-Chill/Battier/Harrington/Swift?

and Battier for Damp. I read that he would give up Lo and Battier but not Swift and Battier and GS wouldn't bite. Apparently, that is off the table because West just signed Battier to a 6 yr extension. I doubt that he would trade him immediately after doing that, particualrly when West is known for being honest with players and when Battier said that he is looking forward to being in Memphis for a long time.

That being said, we might be able to sneak in and get Damp for a relatively reasonable price. We are the only team under the cap who is interested and GS is not looking to do a sign and trade unless they get something really good back. If we could get Damp for 4 yrs/$28M starting at $6M, would you bite? I might. In fact, that would leave us enough money to go get Swift as well. If we could sign Swift to a deal starting about $5.5M - $6M, I'd be all for it. Boy, that would be NICE!

Damp/Collier

Swift/Hendu/Crawford

Harrington/Smith/Smith

Childress/Diaw/Hansen

JT/Ivey

I could get REALLY excited about that group. I'd probably go out and sign a vet PG for the veteran's minimum. We'd have 2 guys on IR but with Hendu, CC and Damp around, that is probably a good thing. I think that is a nice mix of vets and young guys and we could actually compete right now with a chance to get A LOT better in the next few years.

Hendu and CC come off the books taking some $11.5M off the books. In addition, JT and Harrington will be in the last year of their deals making them VERY tradeable. As for Damp and Swift, big guys who can play and who are signed to reasonable deals are always tradeable.