• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

GAME 1 recap - Josh Smith does great

Lascar78

"Josh Smith showed a nice touch from the outside and good control in the paint, connecting on a twisting layup under the hoop, pushing the Hawks lead to 14. Combined with Corey Violette, Smith helped the Hawks continued to outscore the Bobcats. By the end of the fourth quarter Josh had scored 14 points, going 5-7 from the field."

Many players have used summer league experience as a spring board for their careers. Last year, Tayshaun Prince averaged around 21 ppg for Detroit's summer league team. While he didn't post those numbers during the regular season, the experience of the summer league gave him confidence. Prince emerged as a starter for the Pistons and a reliable spot up shooter for their offense.

Hotlanta I know these games are nothing more than glorfied practice but it is nice to see our boys do well in this practice. If our boys fail at this level, there is no hope that they will produce in an actual NBA game, therefore I am upbeat. The summer games gives us a peek at their NBA potential.

Yeah. When Smith gets on the court against NBA players that have been around, they will know how to take him out of his game at this point. Smith is showing his talent level though, because he may simply out-talent the guys he faces in the summer league. The learning curve for him will be doing the little things that will augment his pure talent. His first year will be a big learning experience for him, and by the middle part of his second year, we may start seeing some consistency from him. By his third year, I believe he may be ready to take the NBA by storm.

Then again, he may prove to be so athletically talented that he does well in his first year a la Amare Stoudamire.

• Premium Member

I don't think he will make the team, but he played with the Zags right? About 6'11 265 and plays PF. He did really well in the NCAA tourney this yr. I think he put up most of the Zags points against Nevada.

What ever happen to the guy Calvary out of Gonzaga.

he's a rookie, and one out of HS. He'll be foul-prone, you can almost bank on that, esp. if he is trying to play good D. While not as much as young bigmen, HSer's generally never get a break on a call, and are more prone to start with...

• Premium Member

Actually, I'm more concerned with his ability to hit the outside shot consistently than his defense.

If J-Smooth can hit the outside Shot, then we have the steal of the draft and our lineup may become:

JT/JChill/JSmooth/Lil Al/ and Damp...

That would be exciting to say the least.

Smith will not start at all in his rookie season. The chances of him going Amare Stoudamire on the league are slim, IMO. Down the road, the guy will be a tremendous player. Right now, he has to learn the game and the league. Mike and Billy have both eluded to the fact that they will have to take things slow with Josh Smith. There are several things he has to improve upon. Consistency in his shooting is one, and his ability to handle the ball is the other. In time, Smith may develop into a power forward. He is really a big kid with a great body right now. Plus, he's really strong for his age.

I wouldn't rule out an early impact for him simply because of his body, but I'm not expecting it.

• Premium Member

You don't know for sure KB. You're just talking out of the side of your a--. It's possible that he is smart enough to pick up the game while playing. You must admit that we're in no way challenging for the championship so we do have time to develop him.

What you are really saying is that you think it's more important to play CC or Hendu instead of developing any of our younger players. I say that this is a development year (even if we get damp). Our goal should be to send them out there to learn on the job... NOT 33 mpg but above 20. I mean what else is there?