• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith, Game Two

KB21

His scoring dropped, as he scored 5 points on 1 of 7 shooting. Yikes!

However, Smith had 6 blocked shots, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, and 1 steal. I'd be interested to see if his shooting is a reflection of the coaching staff wanting him to work on his jumper during the game, or if he was missing point blank shots.

Hawks win 83-61 over the Sonics. They held the Sonics to 33% shooting and forced 22 turnovers.

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/game6.pdf

Smith and Childress combine for 5 for 18 shooting? ouch

On the other hand the second rounders go 7 for 11. I wish we could see or at least hear these games... summer league stats on their own don't really tell you much, so all we really have are the official recaps.

That is totally fine. He didn't have a good shooting game but he did well in other categories. That is exactly what you want. He is showing he can help the team in other areas if his shooting is not on. Dwight Howard went 1 for 13 in one of his summer league games. Josh Smith will turn out to be Atlanta's best pick this year....WATCH!!

I am really impressed at how they are easily winning these games. Good Sign!!

Exactly emeans, Yes he did have an off night and as a rookie especially an 18 year old kid, he will have his up and downs during the season, but one thing you cant deny and take away from him and that is his "athleticism". The kid is a tremendous athlete. What it did look like by his stat line that he didnt hang his head like the knock that he was getting during pre draft 2004. Alot of critics say that he tends to hand his head when not playing good, well that will not happen under Woodson and in this league for him, he has something to prove and he will. I'm not worry about him that much, he will get his share of points and he he will get better and better. As long as he does the other things: defense, rebounding, just keep his head in the game.

As for Childress it looks like he is very consistent and he will get his points every night, he doesnt seem to me like one of those inconsistent players, he has alot of arsenal in his game. Junior had a nice game and so did Donta. These young guys are outplaying the other teams young guys, I like to see that thus far.

Read the Hoopsworld commentary on him. The guy that saw him play talked about his ability to handle the basketball, saying that he was a very good ball handler. This was one of the things all of the scouting reports had knocked him on.

Quote:

The Hawks team started slow but took over the game in the second half. Rookie Josh Smith had the most impressive game out of all the players. There was a ball that bounced off the rim, up to about the top of the square on the backboard. Smith jumped up in the air and grabbed it with one hand and power dunked it down. This was the first big dunk of the game and everyone was on their feet. All the Hawks players were going nuts. Smith struggled some in the first half and really turned it on in the second. He handles the ball well and really has a touch on the offensive end. Smith looks as if he could play the four in the East if the Hawks were playing a faster, scoring lineup.

Looks like they are also pretty impressed with the size of Josh Smith. I don't think anyone expected him to be as big as he is. Everyone was trying to throw around the Darius Miles comparision, but Josh Smith has an NBA body. He's a legitimate 6'9", 240 lbs right now. He may indeed grow into a power forward, but I think his best position will be as a small forward.

That rep almost exclusively came from that one documentary on fox sports south. I really think that is basically THE reason he dropped in mock drafts from 5-6 to 17-20. People panicked. I love it, we got him much lower. I'm just excited to see him in action on thursday

I am starting to think we got the better player from GA in Smith than Dwight Howard. The Hawks needed some flash & style and Josh Smith will definitely bring that. I think Smith will contribute more this year than people expect. I know it is just summerleague games but his size is the main reason that I think he can contribute some this year. He won't get pushed around.

I agree, if you look at it, most of the high schoolers that panned out early had NBA ready bodies. I still would have rather had Howard since quality bigmen are so important but then again Josh may grow to be as big or bigger than Howard still.

Quote:

On the other hand the second rounders go 7 for 11.

Yea, Donta did not have a bad game. 3 of 5 from the field, 2 of 3 from the line, and 8pts in only 13 minutes.

I hope they give him some more time. I would really like to see him light it up just once before the summer league ends.

• Premium Member

No. Dwight Howard is the best player from GA right now. I watched them both on a few occasions. While I was impressed by Smith's ability, I think that Howard's desire and ability trumped Josh's. It's all good though, I think if we get the right coaching and players in here, Josh could definitely be very special.