• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

76ers trade Snow to Cleveland for Ollie, Brown

HawkTodd

• Moderators

Quote:

Snow agreed before last season to a four-year contract extension through the 2008-09 season.

A starter the past two seasons, Snow should help solidify Cleveland's backcourt. The Cavaliers had sought depth behind Jeff McInnis. After going 17-65 two seasons ago, the Cavaliers finished 35-47 and might have made the playoffs if not for McInnis' missing nine games down the stretch with a shoulder injury.

The Cavs also have been looking to add defense, something Snow is known for. Playing beside Allen Iverson in the Sixers' backcourt, Snow also has been among the league leaders in assists.

The move rids Cleveland of Ollie's $15 million, five-year contract, clearing room under the salary cap as the Cavaliers look to replace Carlos Boozer.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. How in the world does trading FOR Snow clear salary cap room?

Snow has a long contract that equal the sum per year of Ollie and Brown. Brown is under a short contract. That means that this adds salary to Cleveland's cap after Brown's contract expires - not that it clears room for them. Did the author not think that one through very far?

it means that they can now move McInnis (and likely will) while at the same time bringing in a more experienced and steady hand (although their 3pt range is now severely limited...esp. with Snow).

it's a good trade for both teams...but one can't help but wonder, what is going on in Philly. AI's still there...but the rest of the team? long contracts, not anywhere near a superstar...and many, many holes once AI slows down...

I think Philly actually has the makings of a decent team - although I don't think this trade helps. Their frontcourt is pretty deep with Dalembert, Thomas, Skinner and Coleman, add AI's scoring and some defense and timely offense by McKie and Igoudala and they should definitely make the playoffs in the East, maybe even a four seed.

yeah, sorta. they dont' have a person there who can score on their own abilities after AI. With the latter's playing in the Olympics (you should know what that fortells). I mean, if he goes down again this year...

oddly as it sounds, AI is almost worth less than Pierce at this point, in terms of success throughout the season. Perhaps I'm being too hard on him, as I am historically one to overlook a single bad year/injuries, in assessing a player (aka, Theo is not "injury riddled")...but now...no one can create their own shot on that team...unless you count GRob...

• Moderators

Quote:

it means that they can now move McInnis (and likely will) while at the same time bringing in a more experienced and steady hand (although their 3pt range is now severely limited...esp. with Snow).

it's a good trade for both teams...but one can't help but wonder, what is going on in Philly. AI's still there...but the rest of the team? long contracts, not anywhere near a superstar...and many, many holes once AI slows down...

I don't disagree with that but that still doesn't clear cap room!